Author Topic: Gottlieb Jacks Open  (Read 4714 times)

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Gottlieb Jacks Open
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
Ive got a Jacks Open awaiting a restore and looking at this was an absolute plessure. Great job buddy, hey Mitch looks like there's a few of us perfectionists here ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Ive got a Jacks Open awaiting a restore and looking at this was an absolute plessure. Great job buddy, hey Mitch looks like there's a few of us perfectionists here ^^^

I've seen some of Mitch's work  #.#

and I'd love to see yours, SPURR - C'mon  #@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
Ditto!! yeah c'mon Spurr. i think i've seen some of your airbrush work.. Is that your A.M.I "Hot Race" game in Marco Rossignoli's book, "Pinball Memories"?? looks great!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:49:45 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
Ditto!! yeah c'mon Spurr. i think i've seen some of your airbrush work.. Is that your A.M.I "Hot Race" game in Marco Rossignoli's book, "Pinball Memories"?? looks great!!

yep and I have seen that machine, its very flash!

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Love the detail that you go into with your restro's.  Obviously a great number of hours/days/months go into it them, does your sale price of these pins reflect the time and effort that goes into them? 

Mick - The collector who saw this machine valued it at exactly what I valued it at - I got exactly what I wanted - which was over $3K. It does take a lot of effort, but it is worth it both financially and it provided me with a great level of satisfaction.

If I charged a minimum of $35 per hour, the game would not be affordable.

I will do more games at this level in the future.

That was the answer that I was hoping for  ^^^  A fair price for the buyer and reward for the hard work put into the restro. 

Must add that once people experience the difference between a working pin, to a fully shopped pin, to a restro, they never go back  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »
Love the detail that you go into with your restro's.  Obviously a great number of hours/days/months go into it them, does your sale price of these pins reflect the time and effort that goes into them? 

Mick - The collector who saw this machine valued it at exactly what I valued it at - I got exactly what I wanted - which was over $3K. It does take a lot of effort, but it is worth it both financially and it provided me with a great level of satisfaction.

If I charged a minimum of $35 per hour, the game would not be affordable.

I will do more games at this level in the future.

That was the answer that I was hoping for  ^^^  A fair price for the buyer and reward for the hard work put into the restro. 

Must add that once people experience the difference between a working pin, to a fully shopped pin, to a restro, they never go back  *%*

Very True Mick. your second point is right on the money. The collector who bought the Jacks Open also bought my other restorations - Space Invaders, Strikes and Spares and I restored his Genie for him. As a result, he traded all his "as is" pins to own fully restored machines. I will be doing another pinball as soon as he buys it !

Fussy collectors will pay what the machine is worth., because they appreciate the difference between a shopped / reconditioned / restored Pinball. There is a market for high level restorations.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »
As always nino your work is unreal and the detail in your threads is fantastic.  Sadly i dont have the patience to make mine as detailed as yours

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »
Coool,
was flicking through the resto threads for some tips and glad I went back this far to see this gem.
I have a few questions if you can help please Nino for a very overdue for resto 1971 - Gottlieb 2001.
I plan on taking forever on this, so I am not rushing. Will do a complete profile like yours when nearing completion.

1. What do you use to clean/polish all the internal metal work on steppers, score reels, relays etc. etc. is there a chemical product for ease of use?
2.How can I colour match to original cabinet/playfield colours?
3.Can you name a very good supplier of old gottlieb parts as I also need to tickle up my High Hand while doing this?
4.Do you suggest reflowing all solder joints or is this not too relevant as it is non-electronic?

I appreciate any input by yourself or anyone so, feel free to answer and give as much advice as possible - just take your time as this is a very long term project
Thanks
Andy
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Coool,
was flicking through the resto threads for some tips and glad I went back this far to see this gem.
I have a few questions if you can help please Nino for a very overdue for resto 1971 - Gottlieb 2001.
I plan on taking forever on this, so I am not rushing. Will do a complete profile like yours when nearing completion.

1. What do you use to clean/polish all the internal metal work on steppers, score reels, relays etc. etc. is there a chemical product for ease of use?
2.How can I colour match to original cabinet/playfield colours?
3.Can you name a very good supplier of old gottlieb parts as I also need to tickle up my High Hand while doing this?
4.Do you suggest reflowing all solder joints or is this not too relevant as it is non-electronic?

I appreciate any input by yourself or anyone so, feel free to answer and give as much advice as possible - just take your time as this is a very long term project
Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy - you dug out a very old restoration, but I'm glad it was useful as a reference.

1 - Cleaning and polishing metal parts. Rebuilding steppers is covered in detail on a few threads, but the final polish is usually with Brasso. You can also use autosol. Just about every part is put through the tumbler first.
2 - Color match is done by professionals. I take the exposed original paintwork to a paint supplier to color match "on the spot". I buy in bulk for future use. The original colors are usually behind the coin door striker plate or the door frame.
3 - Greg at RTBB (www.rtbb.com.au) is stocking more and more Gottlieb parts. for game specific, go to Pinball Resource (www.pbresource.com).
4 - I rarely resolder EMs. I reflow coils, but that is about it !

:D

Offline Adrian

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »
Nino great job this a good game just bought one last week, missed out on one about a year ago and wasn't going to let history repeat it self so I bought it. Playfield is in the same condition as yours but someone has restored the cabinet and done a great job. But they have used to wrong colour red any way the machine still presents well and I'm happy I have the game in my collection. I'll post some photo's soon.
Adrian