Author Topic: Stern SS Coin Door Repaint  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Stern SS Coin Door Repaint
« on: September 20, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »
This process is covered in the Meteor Thread, but I thought I'd create a new thread for it here..

Bunnings has a can of White Knight "Hammered Finish" which is very close to the same color and texture of the original Stern legs and coin door. The can cost around $12, and I used most of the can to do the front door and the legs.

First thing to do is strip the door. Clean all the parts with Nifti and a scrubbing brush. Let them dry and if there is any dirt or crap left over, clean it now ! This door did not have any rust or corrosion, but if it does, it will need to be sanded and primed.

Setup a paint bench outside (a bucket with a piece of wood, or the garage floor!).. Spray a light coat first, and then give it two more coats as per the instructions on the can. After drying they should look like this ;

After the Drying period - or the next day - Start to reassemble.. The coin chutes themselves are plated, so they were polished, not painted.

Finished Product - Door mounted. Don't forget to do the door frame !!!

The legs were painted using the same method. The instructions on the can are easy to follow.

This process didn't take long at all, and to finish it off - There is a Stern coin door decal that can be installed that will make the front of the game look as good as new !

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:10:52 PM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Stern SS Coin Door Repaint
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »