Author Topic: Why kids today don't play pinball  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Why kids today don't play pinball
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 12:12:15 AM »
My 7 yr old son helps me with the restores - he has his own Super mario  pin that he enjoys playing and showing off to anyone that comes round, He detests anything with a 2"flipper though as they are too hard to play. I like showing him how they work, i can see his mind absorbing all the information without him even knowing it.
He now has a small circuit board with various components on it that will be the CPU of his own pin he is designing ( yeh i know it will never work - but hey! Its his invention!)
 He has designed his own Ben 10 playfield with bumpers etc on it - all on paper, so early design stages.
To him - its all in the theme, Ben 10, Spiderman ( or rather the evil enemies). Modern Dr Who etc.

No pins being made with any of these themes, so its hard to get a REAL interest in one and so PS2 and Nintendo DS take over.

...So kids not playing pinball?? Right back in Sterns court im afraid

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 12:47:02 AM »
All my kids play my pinballs as they respect them and have been bought up with them-but it's there friends I'm worried about.. :D

Peter

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »
August is the boys 12th birthday-maybe time to show the kids the pinballs hey?? But not the GORGAR-to much time and $$$$ into that one..

Peter

Umm, yep.  Dont be scared Pete they can't hurt them   :lol

My 3 yr old son has the hang of it, waits for the ball to come down before flipping, can catch a ball on the flipper too.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »
Bunch of 20 or so here this afternoon, most seemed to enjoy having a bash.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »
BTW I saw a listing on ebay recently and the pinball for auction had one wooden flipper!!! I don't think that'll add to the pinball movement. Why would someone go to the trouble to do this when the cost of a flipper bat is stuff all.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:44:58 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
Back in the 80's dad and I had a good collection of EMs but we didnt know where to get parts after Hankin shutdown. We used make stuff and improvise alot.

Marty Machine

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2009, 01:20:27 AM »
CSI? 24? what's next, a "Gordon Ramsey" pin??? actually, come to think of it, that's actually be fun to play, being sworn at everytime you lose a shot hahahahaha.

Maybe a Britney Spears or Madonna pin will be next, maybe they'll be popular, but not enjoyable.....kinda like their music really hahahahaha.

MM.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
14 4-5 year old boys at my sons birthday party today. They gave the pins a true hiding, and they took to them like ducks on water. Consider the attention span of a 5yrold boy :D, and they we mesmerised today. I say kids love them, but just dont get exposure to them.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
14 4-5 year old boys at my sons birthday party today. They gave the pins a true hiding, and they took to them like ducks on water. Consider the attention span of a 5yrold boy :D, and they we mesmerised today. I say kids love them, but just dont get exposure to them.

And I'm hoping you were loving the attention the games were getting Sinbad!

I love it when kids come over and their eyes light up and they start bashing the balls around. (Although I do try and show them how to play without just flip flip flip - "Now wait for the ball...")

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »

And I'm hoping you were loving the attention the games were getting Sinbad!

I love it when kids come over and their eyes light up and they start bashing the balls around. (Although I do try and show them how to play without just flip flip flip - "Now wait for the ball...")

Mate I just relaxed and let em have fun. I did coach a couple of kids who were constantly flipping, but it was all good. I did turn Elektra off because the left top flipper stopped working. My son said when it happened he felt a surging feeling through the left flippers. Looks like I better pull the top flipper apart and investigate.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »
Well at least one kid thought it was 'awesome' that we had a couple of pinball machines.

And no breakdowns so I reckon I have got the little niggles out for now.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm probally worried to much but the thought of constent flip flip does scare me...

Peter

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 12:34:42 AM »
I'm probally worried to much but the thought of constent flip flip does scare me...

Peter

Nah, doesn't hurt them.

Offline coolspot

• Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »

Peter

the thing you should be worried about is the flipper being held for a long time that will destroy the coil sooner or later flipping constantly wont do anything

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »

Peter

the thing you should be worried about is the flipper being held for a long time that will destroy the coil sooner or later flipping constantly wont do anything

Not really as long as your EOS switches are properly adjusted