Author Topic: DOT MATRIX OR LCD SCREEN FOR THE FUTURE ? OR BOTH ?  (Read 526 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
DOT MATRIX OR LCD SCREEN FOR THE FUTURE ? OR BOTH ?
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
Guys, since Jersey Jack Pinball is introducing a Wells Gardner 27 inch LCD screen with the Wizard of Oz pinball, instead of the dot matrix display, does it mean for the industry, that the LCD screen will/might replace the dotmatrix all together, and will it be just a matter of time ?

Will the machines start heading towards video games too much, and will the games start being made for new buyers/players, and will we lose the pinball machine we all like n know to a Pin2000 style platform/video arcade machine. ?

As pinny players and collectors, will we miss the dot matrix display if it slides off into history as a replaced item ?  !@#  or, could we have (ask) for a situation wherby the Pro model comes with a dot-matrix, and the LE or Premium model comes with the LCD screen etc. That would keep the costs down for operators and also give choice to the end user.

I am not sure I want to see the dot matrix dissapear all-together. We all know that during gameplay, u see the dot matrix 25 percent of the time, at best, or say 50 to 70 percent of the time if u are watching someone play. Is it neccessary to kill the dots for ever, or can a compromise with the Pro models say keeping the dots be a worthwhile consideration ? Any thoughts/suggestions / What do u want/dont want to see with the dot matrix etc ?  !@# !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Who loks at the backbox when they play????

Bring back Alpha-Numeric, or better still, score reels

And while there, how about some realart for the backglass?
Rarther than photoshopped crap
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:31:27 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Who loks at the backbox when they play????

Bring back Alpha-Numeric, or better still, score reels

And while there, how about some realart for the backglass?
Rarther than photoshopped crap

Hoy - you leave that Photoshop crap alone buddy boy %%$ %%$  :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Was listening to a late 2011 interview with Jack on Spooky and he states that all his pinballs in the future are going to have this 27inch lcd monitor in them - so for JJP it is going to be standard item.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
We should consider that an LCD can always 'look' like a DMD with dotty programming, but a DMD can never look like an LCD  ;-)

A simple switch inside the coindoor could enable the LCD into "DMD" or "VGA Graphics" mode, depending on the owners preference.....at least that's how *I* would do it ;-)

MM.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
the same uproar was probly said when dot matrix came along over score reels. its technology so it will advance the game play. but i recon they should make the entire backbox lcd not just a tiny lcd screen i nthe middle. would make for a moving backglass that would look cool imo. and yer you dont see the lcd when playing but it attracts people to play the game and people to watch.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Personally I think a large LCD takes a little something away from the look of the machine.
I love that even when my machines are off, they still look cool.
The art on the backglass/translite is a big thing for me.

I would really like to see an LCD screen but one about the same size as the Data East Batman and Maverick DMD's or maybe even slightly larger.
Then you would have the best of both worlds.
Full colour screen and reasonable sized backglass art.

WoZ looks really promising but I can't help but feel it looks a little plain with the black screen in the back box.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
IMO both have a place at least for a period of time, but then eventually all pinballs will probably have the LCD.

I do like the DMD screens and maybe a feature that will prolong the inclusion of them is standardising them in colour.
http://www.colordmd.com/

I also like the idea put forward by Caveoftreasures
or, could we have (ask) for a situation wherby the Pro model comes with a dot-matrix, and the LE or Premium model comes with the LCD screen etc. That would keep the costs down for operators and also give choice to the end user.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
As long as the game is good...that's all that matters.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
The previous post re: VR got me thinking about this but what are the thoughts on LCD not only replacing dot matrix but potentially further extending the scope of the game the way dot matrix did in the early ninetys. LCD screens could be used to incorporate VR in new games by extending the game playfield. For example, hit the ball up a ramp into a tunnel, ball appears in VR on LCD playfield above.

Marty Machine

I always thought if i were to include a VGA screen in a backbox, it would still be 1/2 masked off to maintain the same viewing area as a DMD, that way the switching between DMD & VGA modes wouldn't leave the DMD with large empty space around it.

I still think the DMD/LCD should be an addition to the game, not the game itself.
Manufacturers who focus too heavy on the graphics mean the playfield game is probably lacking.

Realistically, back in the day we had 2 or 4 scores to look at, either wheels or VFD digit displays...the sudden jump to DMD added some very uneccessary garbage on the screen when most people probably just wanted to see 4 scores on a DMD, but that's marketing i guess...

MM.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I like the artwork on a translite or a backglass. I like the displays on the Segas which are double the size of the std displays (like Batman Forever 1995 or Frankenstein 1995 etc) I would rather see the dotmatrix just move to that size versus a LCD 27 inch display in half of the cases. (Pro stays dotmatrix, LE goes to LCD).

I dont mind the LCD display, but the moment it becomes anything but a display, things could turn ugly without people realising etc. Imagine a pinball machine that the large LCD display turns on and off for 50 percent of the time, for a video mode of sorts. That means we are moving towards a video game.

The amount of LCD time on a pinball machine, can morph a pinny into something else. The LCD use cant be used too much or it becomes a noose for the pinball industry.
A very fine line between accessory or leach that turns into the host. If that makes sense.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Yes, the danger is on focussing on the display and over-incorporating it into the gameplay.

I don't mind the odd use of DMD/LCD to add to the overall play of the machine (a la Getaway) but too much would be tedious rather than enjoyable.

The basic idea of a pinball machine is to hit the ball with the flippers. Long live pinball!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Yes agreed, I'm all for innovation but not at the expence of the unique pinball experiance. You can already get computer games across so many different formats, no need to have them dominate pinball play as well.

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
It would cost too many $ to program both a LCD and a dot matrix so there wont be a dmd model
LCD can display all player's scores at the same time
The LCD will attract people to it
It could show rules, shots etc during attract mode
It doesn't affect gameplay
Non glare glass will mean no more dmd reflections
Dmd looks old fashioned can turn people off, LCD more modern
LCD will look bad when turned off but that's offset by video and graphics effects when turned on
It's in colour!!

I think people find change difficult. Pinball basically has not changed since the early 90's - 20 years ago!!! I reckon bring it on ..