Author Topic: Cab stencils. Who sells them?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Cab stencils. Who sells them?
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »
I am wanting to start a fullon resto. Unsure of title, wanting a list of titles that have stencils available ATM so I can figure which one I should look at restoring. Time for me to bite the bullet and do an old resto

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Cab stencils. Who sells them?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »

Gavin (retropin) has a license for Gottlieb. I am sure he can assist you with any of those he has done the prep work on.

Most Bally/Williams stuff will be help by the current owner of that license, we wouldn't want anyone listing stuff that is not properly licensed.

Old Stern and Data East don't seem to be enforced by anyone, so some of those might be available from Gav or elsewhere.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
So what Bally stencils are around?. I won't doing a gtb machine cheers
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:11:36 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »

You could try Planetary Pinball they have the license for B/W stuff www.planetarypinball.com/

They will be able to tell you what they have or what is out there licensed.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »

What Bally title are you looking at?? I might be able to point you in the right direction

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »

Old Stern and Data East don't seem to be enforced by anyone, so some of those might be available from Gav or elsewhere.

Does that mean that someone is doing Data East? I 've a starwars I'd love to get cabinet decals for but haven't been able to find any. Any contact leads would be appreciated if anyone knows. Even someone who may be able to assist with licensing on this machine. ( sorry for high jacking the thread. Just got a bit excited about the off chance of cabinet decals for my machine)

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »
Purchased my Paragon stencils here. Have not applied them yet, but know Wotto has and he was very happy with them.

http://www.pinballpal.com/products/stencil/

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »

What Bally title are you looking at?? I might be able to point you in the right direction
at this point I don't know, I'm first figuring what is available and choose from that. I don't want to pick a title that would leave me not being able to finish because of lack of products like stencils and what not.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:30 PM »
Purchased my Paragon stencils here. Have not applied them yet, but know Wotto has and he was very happy with them.

That's a cool site and prices seem very reasonable.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »

hey thank you very much for that link. Hmm I'm very interested that there are bk2000 stencils. That is one I will be  considering now

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »

I believe Mark CLAYTON (owner of pinballpal) was/is quite ill unfortunately.  Although he makes great stencils, I don't know whether he is back on his feet producing yet.  I would suggest to email them and wait for a reply before ordering.

I have had some troubling results from other manufacturers of stencils (****NOT RETROPIN / GAVIN** *) from an overseas company.  The material they used was almost as sticky as mylar and lifted the base coat clean off the cabinet.  I have read / heard stories of another O/S manufacturer whereby the differing colour layers do not even come close to matching.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:32:43 PM by MartyJ »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
here is another place - never purchased from them but found them a little while ago

http://www.thisoldgame.com/products/atlantis-pinball-stencil-set

Also planetary is going to be doing more decals sets for machines that were previously screened like the F-14 Tomcat so that's another option to watch out for.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
My other question is, has any One clear coated an entire cab? What do people think of that idea?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »

I believe Mark CLAYTON (owner of pinballpal) was/is quite ill unfortunately.  Although he makes great stencils, I don't know whether he is back on his feet producing yet.  I would suggest to email them and wait for a reply before ordering.

I have had some troubling results from other manufacturers of stencils (****NOT RETROPIN / GAVIN** *) from an overseas company.  The material they used was almost as sticky as mylar and lifted the base coat clean off the cabinet.  I have read / heard stories of another O/S manufacturer whereby the differing colour layers do not even come close to matching.

Marty is right. Mark Clayton (PinballPal) won't be fulfilling orders for quite some time. I tried buying Playboy and a few other licensed stencils, but I found out he was going to be offline for a while.

I have not used Gavin's yet, but I have my Pro football stencils ready to apply. He has all the Gottlieb stuff on his website.

Be VERY VERY careful with other Bally stencil kits out of the USA on Ebay. They are CRAP and you will basically lose time and money. The other option is to make your own, which I've done several times, but it is HOURS of work, and only useful for simple lines of shapes - ideal for EMs (except Pro Football).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
My other question is, has any One clear coated an entire cab? What do people think of that idea?

Yes.

A BK which I am finishing at the moment (I outsourced the painting on this one to my spray painter & his booth) has a matt clear finish over the finished stencils.

On any DMD cabinet I do - when prepping for decals I also clearcoat the entire cabinet once I have painted it.