Author Topic: Mb v nib  (Read 278 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Mb v nib
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
This is for all the scholars out there or should I saw those in the 'Fellowship of the Pin'. That should cover everyone on the forum.

I'm considering my next addition being a monsterbash. Now in my younger days of womanizing I tried both the untouched and the seasoned campaigner and found the tried and tested won hands down. So I'm thinking the same when it comes to pinball, but is this the logical way?

So firstly any ideas on what a decent mb should go for? Secondly, with what's been coming out lately ie. acdc, tron etc etc do these warrant taking preference over the big names of Williams? I can see the lure and major buzz opening a box and playing a game for the first time ever on it and the new car smell syndrome and I can go on.

I'm guessing both options probably will set me back the same or not?

All thoughts welcome, thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Mb v nib
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
Rob

I think you need to spend a few hours on an ACDC PREMIUM or LE. I was so surprised at the gameplay and really plays nothing like older Sterns.

Then have a few on a MB and see what you reckon

You are always welcome to pop in and play mine

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
Monster Bash used to cost alot more, I have seen decent ones sell between 7 and 8 grand fully redecalled and fully stripped down and rebuilt.. They are now top dollar at 8 grand.
Remember, u are now talking about a apx 16 year old title now. I would buy a AC/DC Premium over the Monsterbash after playing both. 

The new Sterns are now making some of the older titles look old now. Monsterbash is a really nice looking pin with good audio.
There are plenty of MB floating around for resale etc, but once the Premium Ac/DC sells out, it will be hard to find one.

Play both then decide.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »
With a MB, you can play it now and decide if you like it

With a NIB Stern, you almost have to pay up before you even see the game, let alone play it

But with any game at the NIB/MB price, you have to be into the theme, I like what Stern did with Tron, AC/DC and Xmen, but none of those themes gave me a buzz. But I will be interested to see if/when they make Star Trek

Offline Mr Tilt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
Had MB and sold it in nice nick for 7k
Got bored quickly
Buy a NIB for that money!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
You will always be able to get your money back from a Monster Bash if you end up not enjoying it, you definately won't get your money back from a NIB Stern

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
AC/DC premium by a mile plus MB is to easy I walked and left balls in play far to easy, machine is great eye candy but thats it. if you like fast and challenging pinball by the acca Dacca

Peter

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »

MB has that classic BW solid feel (particularly to the flippers), quality toys, a really cool theme and great music. But it is not too deep rule wise, and will no doubt be bettered by a newer Stern with the generally fairly deep rule set. If you like the feel of the newer Sterns (not too bad now) and you can find a theme you like, then it would be a toss up. 
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
fast and furious fun the MB, great audio, great theme, great toys and features, and looks unreal.
Imagine what a NIB MB would be worth if they were available... a definite classic.

Comparing it to a NIB (Stern) is a tough one. I dont think any of the new Sterns have anything
on the W/B's of the 90's (IMO).  AC/DC is a step in the right direction, hopefully Stern can keep
progressing and make even better games in the future.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
MB is a fun but easy game but I can see why some people pay the $$$ they do for it.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline SpiritOf'76

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
Well these new Sterns haven't really had the chance to stand the test of time, and will you go back to these new Sterns in 15-20 years time? That is the question. You will never lose your money on a mint MB or MM and it is the theme and rulesets on these titles that keeps the player coming back. Having said that AC/DC will retain its value for years to come due to its subject matter. Horses for courses. I think it's nice to have a mixture of the old and the new. Get in quick though, I think MB's are starting to appreciate in market value again. Pinball has cycles and trends and "flavours-of-the-month", but choose wisely...