Author Topic: EMs collectors are on the rise on the gold coast  (Read 558 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
EMs collectors are on the rise on the gold coast
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:41:14 AM »
Up until around a couple of months ago I had refused to repair EM's due to my lack of experience, but lately there have been more and more people on the gold coast ringing me with problems they have with EMs they have recently bought and cannot find anyone to repair them. So feeling sorry for these guys I have started to take on these repairs. I explain to them that i am no expert in fixing EM's but will have a look at it for them because they can't get anyone else to do it. So far it has been smooth sailing with no major overhauls needed up until today. after fixing one of 2 EM's that a customer owns (the first one hasn't been running at %100 for at least 10 years due to a broken wire and some contacts out of alignment) I now have come across one that needs an overhaul. the only problem is I have barely enough time to  keep up with all my board repairs and call outs now I have to squeeze in EM overhauls  ^&^
I even have customers enquiring when they buy another EM if it needs an overhaul can they drop it off for me to do, I explain the costs involved in the overhaul and the time it will take and that hasn't deterred them in anyway.   

The only way around it is to fit a tow bar to the car so I can hire / Buy a trailer and pick up the EM's and repair them at home and do a schedule up for call outs, standard board repairs, Acid damage repairs, and EM overhauls.
I will only be doing the mechanical side of thing and not the cosmetic cleaning and strip downs because i just don't have the time, besides everyone i have spoken to is happy to do their own cleaning.

Any way it comes down to more and more people are buying pinball machines, weather it be EMs , SS's or DMD's  not many people are stopping at one.   
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: EMs collectors are on the rise on the gold coast
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »
Guess what, I met a fellow today at Southport/GC who has 2 x EM machines with some basic problems who has turned them off for the last 2 years because he also cant find anyone on the Gold Coast who can fix EM pinnys.

So its going to get busier Andy cause this guy has 2 machines needing help as well. Luckily, its only a flipper issue on one, and a basic item apparently on the other.  1 x Gottlieb machine called a PYRAMID  and 1 x machine which I forgot the name on.lol

Anyone wanting to be a pinball tech in the Gold Coast/Brisy areas could probably buy themselves a new Mercedes with the amount of work $$ available up here with no-one available to fix them.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »
Im on my 3rd Em that has been brought to me recently... its gone from... fix... to..... fix,strip back and clean.... and this one is... repair, restore PF,repaint cab,make new BG.

Bloody hell

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »
Damn shame I'm in Sydney .. would have been happy to take on the EM repairs in my spare time
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
Get a tow bar fitted to your car mate.

No need to hire a trailer, mine is here for your to borrow anytime you want mate.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
I pick-up a project Royal Flush today, its going to give me hours work, and is one of the best EMs to play.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »

Lots of nostalgia in the old ding dongs for many people.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »
Andrew - That is a GREAT story to start the day.

There are many stories of EMs buried in collections and neglected for years because no-one can repair them. In many cases, I've heard repairers comment "No one fixes these anymore", or "parts are no longer available - But here's a nice, modern Pinball (Indiana Jones) for $8000". Ten years later, the same company states they "repair" EMs.

Andy - Whenever you find a problem that stumps you - post it here and there are plenty of guys willing to help out. I know owners of these EMs on the Gold Coast will be happy SOMEONE is willing to help out. Repairing EMs is a lot more fun and a lot more "logic" than SS and DMDs. Even the most difficult repair will "show itself" on the schematics.

Most of my initial work has been EMs and predominantly SS. But speaking to others, there is a huge increase in workload across the board. Some happy customers and some not so happy !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »
Thanks guys

I just had a phone call this morning from a fellow that need an EM repaired and he was told by another repairer that every thing will need lubing up and that's why it's playing up

so just to be 100% on this doesn't everything run dry? or do you need to lube EMs?
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
I love fixing EMs... its what i started out doing 20 odd years ago going in blind on my first pinball machine.. had her fixed in an afternoon.

I also enjoy trying to help others on this forum with their EM fixes. Its like a challenge to me as i dont have the machine here to work on and i find it VERY satisfying when a member has been pointed in the right direction and has got their machine up and running.
If i get really stumped.. i might look at the schematics..LOL

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Thanks guys

I just had a phone call this morning from a fellow that need an EM repaired and he was told by another repairer that every thing will need lubing up and that's why it's playing up

so just to be 100% on this doesn't everything run dry? or do you need to lube EMs?

Dry..dry dry.

Tiny spot of quality sewing machine oil inside ball count mechs/ steppers but thats it

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Thanks Gav
 ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Thanks guys

Dry..dry dry.

Tiny spot of quality sewing machine oil inside ball count mechs/ steppers but thats it

Yup - No lube and no CRC.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Thanks guys

Dry..dry dry.

Yup - No lube and no CRC.

And remember spray contact cleaner is explosive..LOL

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
if you need a hand transporting locally drop me a line