Author Topic: battery leakage repairs by the batch  (Read 5467 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
battery leakage repairs by the batch
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
I get that many battery leakage repairs that it is easier for me to do them by the batch.
I start by cutting all the damaged parts off
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: battery leakage repairs by the batch
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
then i remove all the solder and legs and any dodgy I.C sockets and headers
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:57:28 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
next i neutralise and remove all the corrosion, mask any headers and I.C sockets and clear lacquer the top of the board.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:13:44 AM by beaky »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »
This will be a real eye opener for some people Andy massive amount of work go into these repairs and the turn out amazing..   Keep up the great work

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:22 AM »
This will be a real eye opener for some people Andy massive amount of work go into these repairs and the turn out amazing..   Keep up the great work
thanks mate  ^^^

I have learned a few tricks along the way to speed the process up that would surprise a lot of people. just to let you in on a little secret I no longer use sand paper  &&
the wpc cpu board i repaired for you ddtoys also had no sand paper used on it.   

any damaged inductors are rewound with new insulated copper wire, the same gauge wire is used and it is cut at the same length.

I will up date this over the next couple of days with the rest of the procedure
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:20:54 AM by beaky »

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »
Amazing to see all those boards together with the same problem.  ^%^ ^%^
You are a pinball fixing machine. $%$

Great work Beaky. ^^^

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »
Amazing to see all those boards together with the same problem.  ^%^ ^%^
You are a pinball fixing machine. $%$

Great work Beaky. ^^^
thanks Steevsee  ^^^
I have lost count of how many of these I have repaired just over the last few months.  ^&^  :D

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »
If there are any dark spots on the traces under the green masking the masking is removed and the contamination is removed. I have seen a lot of repairs done with these spots being left and over time the spots grow and eventually eat through the traces.

the dark areas that i have exposed in the photos below are obviously bad but every dark area and spot you see in the photos will be corroded and if left untreated will become just as bad the area i have exposed

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
Interesting thread  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 10:09:56 AM »
A hell of a lot of work there Beaky. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
looking good so far Beaky  ^^^

I just replaced one of these MPU boards In a client's Bride of Pinbot that i thought would be too far gone. I replaced it with a Rotten Dog MPU bought from Mad Amusements in the states, which is doing the job nicely.

After looking at these boards you're working on i might have to see if i can do the same with the old one.. glad i didn't chuck it out now  *%* *%*
Looking forward to further updates!!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
it's very rare that i will say it's  to far gone. some of these boards are going to need a hell of a lot of jumpers but to help me with this i have photos of the boards without the components in the corrosion area this makes verifying the traces a lot easier. every trace is checked whether it looks good or not.  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
Its an impressive sight to see dozens n dozens of boards from all over Australia being lined up ready for the full resto.
Some people do the absolute minimum to a board when they restore it, but NOT Beaky(Andy) who goes well n truly past the point of a full resto.

Its also interesting that Andy has all his own test rigs he has designed and also built and over 50 pinball machines to test the boards in under real gameplay conditions as well as the test rigs.

Anyone wanting boards fully serviced cant go past Andy for quality work and quick service. I am currently getting my full set of 1978 Phoenix boards fully overhauled so hopefully the machine lasts another 34 years.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »
thanks mate
I will be doing a thread on your boards soon as it will make an interesting topic.

and as you have mentioned i have built some test rigs and I am currently building more. when you go to this much effort to repair a board you need to be able to test every input and out put.
 cave man was nice enough to donate his old set of phoenix displays for my early WMS test rig. ^^^ This has helped make the testing process a lot quicker for these early boards and it's something that i will be using for years to come.

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
I loathe corrosion. I personally use a fiberglass sanding pin and a bead blaster to remove it.

The inductor looks very interesting. When I saw you had the board completely stripped, my first thought was, wonder what he will do about the inductor :)