Author Topic: Cleaning globe holders  (Read 470 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Cleaning globe holders
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
Is it possible or worthwhile trying to clean corroded or semi corroded globe holders. I have a lot hanging off a spare loom that look in ok shape but won't know until connected to power. Holders range from about $1.40 or so and if a pinball has say 100+ globes this can get up there in which that cash could be spent on flipper kits etc.

On older ss machines you solder the earth braid to them so I don't want to stuff around unsoldering heaps of holders when I should have bought new from the start. So what do resto guys do for games the are selling as opposed to doing up for clients?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: Cleaning globe holders
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
If they look ok, put a new globe in them and test on a 6v lantern battery.  Pays to give them a good clean with one of these lamp socket cleaning sticks while you have easy access. If they show any signs of 'loosness' I would not bother using them.

As you say, new sockets add up when they are over a dollar each.

cheers
Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »

For my restorations, if I see that the lamp is loose, I replace the socket. If the lamp is not loose, but it is flickering or dim, I clean the sockets with a "lamp socket cleaning stick". But you will find they are not all that helpful with the Ballys of this era as the sockets were cheap and sometimes nasty !

Replacing lamp sockets is not cheap, but you only need to do it once and then never worry about it again.

From a Business point of view, it is a better idea to replace the failing sockets rather than wait for the next service call ! Takes 5 minutes.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
Quick hit with a Dremel down the inside will clean it up and a slight squeeze with a pair of pliers ensures the casing gets good contact. If the base has gone then there's no real solution other than replacing

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
Excellent news. I have basically two sets of holders that I think I probably cold get close to one good set.

Btw with these older ballys I noticed changing insert globes is not necessarily easy or am I not doing things the easy way? I have found most of the screws are soldered to the braiding, so really the only way I see getting to the globes is bending the holder nearly at right angles. Is this what others find? Or do you have to remove the solder and unscrew?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
I use the Carbon Steel brushes from pinrestore for cleaning sockets

http://pinrestore.com/Brushes.html

If one is dodgy, I replace it. I scrapped a few games over the years, and have boxes of harnesses to harvest spares off of!