Author Topic: Creature Hologram Mod - USA LCD  (Read 30580 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Creature Hologram Mod - USA LCD
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
Here is a competitior for the aussie design with a creature hologram lcd mod - looks like a grab from the movie and it doesn't seem to lit up when you get a letter which is needed really.
utoplay=1&rel=0

he is a pinsider - PinballMikeD
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-hologram-mod

a statement from PinballMikeD tonight
"No this is not the same thing, not sure who is doing the other mod. I've been working on this (on and off) for several years now though. Technology finial caught up with what I wanted to do, so here we are. We are currently working with Rick at Planetary in order to receive Universals permission to use various creature videos(s) that will be triggered during game play.

At this point we are not triggering the creature videos using the hologram light, so we aren't planning on flashing the creature like the original game does. We have something different in mind that we feel will provide a more interactive experience. We are planning on show case our work at SPF this year."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:25:19 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: USA made Creature LCD - Hologram Replacement Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
Interesting. Wonder what the interactive aspects will be like? For the moment the Aussie effort seems superior.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
Good to see someone else giving it a go .

I have the aussie one installed and its great !
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »
these guys are now working on a slightly larger lcd and a screen saver mode with colours that blend in with the playfield - looks good.

The images are a bit distracting with a logo water marked but you get the general idea.

Then when you search for the creature the holo effect kicks in.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »
That looks great! Be good to see it in action.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »
here is a link to there website, does some nice work.
http://www.pinballmiked.com

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Discodan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
Indeed they do, very nice

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
another video released

utoplay=1&rel=0

looks nice

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
quotes from the guys developing this mod - sounds like it is going to be a cool mod

"Here’s a sneak peak of the attract mode video. Keep in mind that this is just a single screen shot taken from the actual 2 minute video. Hopefully, we’ll have this finished for another YouTube video update this weekend. The featured movie was shot completely underwater with a 30fps HD camera; the footage emulates what the creature would see while swimming in his lagoon.

Also, we should be getting our first shipment of interface boards within the next 3 weeks, so we are still on track for early next year."

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
News is that Planetary Pinball have now secured the ability to remanufacture the original holograms to 99.9% exact replica standard using the same holo technology from the 1990's. They will made by pinballdreams in Germany and ready early next year (Jan?) from what I have read.

What is the general consensus amongst the pinball community now that we have more advanced tech available - get a repro hologram or upgrade to the screen based technology?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
The new video technology looks great, i would go for that.......
....but some purists might be happy with the stock original look, either way its great to have choices......

....thanks for sharing a cool thread with excellent mods for Creature owners.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
I like the LCD and don't forget Dan here on AP is doing his version of the LCD as well. I like some of the features of the US one though - very cool with a screen saver while the game is playing.

In the end they are all probably going to be $300 to $400 so at least it will reduce the ridiculous high prices of the past.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:06:58 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Creature Hologram Mod - USA LCD
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »
Update from these guys is:

It’s been awhile since I posted anything, so here’s a quick update regarding the project:

We finished up with all of the electrical testing last week and now have the prototype system (both monitor and processor) powering directly from the machine regardless of whether it’s a foreign or domestic model. We’ve also added hardware to our interface board that will allow us to utilize unregulated DC voltage sources, so now any insert light in the machine can be used as an event trigger. We’ve also added an additional trigger input, so there are a total of nine system inputs now instead of eight. The ninth trigger bit will be used to emulate the original hologram design (meaning it will flash an image in conjunction with “FILM” letters and play a multiball video when the creature is located during game play), only we are giving you the ability to load your own video/picture files. It will work as follows; the interface board will be equipped with a jumper (to control the ninth trigger bit) that when in place will enable the system to function per our vision. When the jumper is removed the system will function as the hologram was originally design. When the jumper is removed the system will play whatever image you want to flash for the “FILM” letter awards and whatever video file you load for the multiball video. We feel this approach provides the most flexible solution possible. If you like our artwork package and approach you’ve got it. If you are a purest and want to emulate the original you’ve got it. Once the product is released we will have a YouTube video that will walk you through how to load your own video and picture files (so more on that later).

I can also announce that we have selected a monitor for the finished product. Our system will utilize an Insignia 18.5” LED HD 720P HDTV for the monitor (Model: NS-19E310A13). Here is a link to the monitor we are using: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-19E310A13.html

We tested numerous monitors during the development of this MOD and this one made the grade. Our criteria was as follows, we wanted a monitor that was HD rated, utilized actual HDMI video connections instead of composite video connections, was powered via 12VDC, and large enough to completely fill the lagoon window. One of my pet peeves with the original hologram design is that you can see the inside of the cabinet when the hologram is lit. The larger monitor eliminates that scenario entirely. We also wanted to use a stock monitor that’s available anywhere instead of some custom LCD screen that’s hard to find if you ever need to replace it. The insignia TVs are available at BestBuy or can be purchased via the internet. We are finalizing the monitor stand and should have some more info on that very soon. I’ll keep you guys posted.

I’ve received several inquiries regarding the monitor, specifically whether or not we will provide the monitor with the MOD. Let me clarify, the MOD will be offered with or without the monitor (you decide which option is best for you). However, keep in mind that if we provide the monitor it will ultimately cost you the consumer more money. This is due to the added costs associated with double shipping (us getting the monitor and then sending it to you). Also, the monitor is the largest component in the system, so it will increase our finish product shipping costs. Hope this info helps.

We should be making a decision regarding the boards (who we will subcontract the work to) by the end of this week or early next week. That along with the mounting hardware will dictate the final price of the MOD. I have several machine shops quoting the stands for me, so that price should be determine shortly. Once the PCB manufacture is selected we will start a preorder thread. The boards will take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to produce. I know the timeline stinks, but we decided it was silly to try and surface mount all the PCB components ourselves.
The MOD (as sold without the monitor) would include all cabling necessary, so we’d include the HDMI and 12VDC power cables. We want the system to be plug and play. You mount the monitor on the stand and hookup all the cables as outlined in a YouTube installation video and you’re ready to go.

Early on we decided not to mount the monitor to the bottom of the playfield; that limited the monitor’s size and add unnecessary complexity to the mounting system. Plus, it adds weight to the playfield. In order to accommodate a larger monitor (for reasons previously mentioned) we have designed a stand that sits in the bottom of the cabinet. This also gave us the ability to adjust the screen’s placement (forward and backward). So, if you are taller you can move the screen further back in the cabinet and if you are shorter you can move it closer to the coin door.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
here is the next instalment

utoplay=1&rel=0

for pinball t-shirts

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the update. This project is progressing well  ^^^
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.