Author Topic: Space Invaders whats it like  (Read 311 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Space Invaders whats it like
« on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:56 PM »
Thinking of buying a space invaders pinball love the artwork and back glass but never had the opportunity to play one.
How do people rate this in regards to gameplay?

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: Space Invaders whats it like
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Played a looong time ago when they first came out. Great art work but I found game too slow for my liking. At the time I loved fast machines from Williams. .SI is definitely a classic keeper for the art and theme alone.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
Not the best Bally from the era - fairly slow and repetitive, pretty much useless upper flippers.  Shame because the graphics and sound are great.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Bally Widebodies were mostly good players. Future Spa is the exception. Slow, plodder and not even 5 pop bumpers make the game interesting.

Space Invaders has the best art package of all the Bally Widebodies and arguably, the best art package of any widebody. In fact, I rate the artwork as within the best of the Ballys - that includes Fathom and Medusa. As a player, it looks boring, but it is great fun. It does not suffer the same slowness as the other widebodies -as a "table". But what separates this widebody is the sound AND chaser lights around the backglass. The game draws you in with both sound and visuals. Just like in the video game, as you progress through the spot targets and lane switches, the tempo of the sound and the chaser lights increase in tempo. As you are concentrating on this task, you hear the "mothership" screaming in the background and you have to QUICKLY knock down the drop single drop target. You only have seconds to do this. It just adds to the excitement of the "full package" that draws the player.

I used to own a Spacies, and I HAD to sell it as my son was having nightmares. That's what this game DOES. It is not just another pinball. It is a scary monster in your gamesroom ! I will add another Spacies one day. Out of all the games I've owned, this is the title I wish I kept in storage until the kids got older !

Absolutely, one of the best Ballys ever made.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline outbreak

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
Only played in vpin but didn't find it that compelling

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
I own one. I've had a couple over the years. The artwork is fantastic and the back glasses are usually in very good condition which is great as the infinity effect contributes substantially to the appeal of this game. As a wide body it can be slow but I find Space Invaders to be an enjoyable game and one I and the kids always go back to. Not the best playing of all pinball machines but as a package of artwork/sound effects and wide body players it is one of the greats in my opinion. Keep the play field clean to maximise speed , volume up a bit and enjoy!

Offline Operator68

• Forum Posts:
  • Traralgon Victoria
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »
Its a yes from me. A fantastic game to look at, listen to and play. You should definently get one soon. @@*

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
 Just got one and 500 games later in a short space in time and I love it. You just wanna max out the bonuses and get the thump sounds screaming. Crank the sound up and the siren sound can really freak you out and lose your concentration. I have the back legs way high so slow play is not an issue.

The sealer is its one great looking machine. Sound wise it brings back memories of playing at the parlors with all the SI videos going in the background. It makes me happy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:00:07 AM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
It makes me happy

and that my friends is what it is all about!!!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals