Author Topic: working out what a machine is worth  (Read 958 times)

Offline MPE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
working out what a machine is worth
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »
Browsing through ebay & gumtree etc.... there are a few machines that pop up from the 70s/80s that are in need of repair or have been found in a shed etc with a $500-$600 price tag..

Now i know it depends on each machine but they seem almost too cheap to pass up, especially as a 1st machine.

I won't be doing any of the maintenance myself at this stage so there will be repair costs to add on.

Any help would be appreciated!
Resistance is futile

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: working out what a machine is worth
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »
Pretty hard to go wrong with something at $500 as long as it is complete.

Anything electromechanical or early solid state (I would avoid early SS Gottlieb for a first pin) should be a good thing to gain experience and get hands on with the ins and outs of most things pinball.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »

It is always important to either view the game in person, have many good photos of the game, or have someone look at the game on your behalf. It has been a buyers market for almost 2 years now, and there are genuine bargains out there.

Most buyers fall for the usual "too good to be true" deals. Watch out for sellers that say ;

"The is a switch problem that will be a simple fix" - If it was a "simple fix", then why not FIX it, or have a knowledgeable technician repair it so it can be sold "fully working". I recently saw a game that had a "simple switch problem", and it ended up being a costly board repair.

"we replace blown globes and rubbers" - So does everyone else, but it is NOT clear if ALL globes, or ALL rubbers are replaced ? Same with coil sleeves and pop bumper skirts.

EMs are usually cheap, but be aware of missing coils, relays or ever score motors.

As a first machine, you should look around at the different suppliers and play each game that interests you. You should buy a fully reconditioned or restored title and then buy a project game of the same manufacturer to learn from.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MPE

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Re: Re: working out what a machine is worth
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »

It is always important to either view the game in person, have many good photos of the game, or have someone look at the game on your behalf. It has been a buyers market for almost 2 years now, and there are genuine bargains out there.

Most buyers fall for the usual "too good to be true" deals. Watch out for sellers that say ;

"The is a switch problem that will be a simple fix" - If it was a "simple fix", then why not FIX it, or have a knowledgeable technician repair it so it can be sold "fully working". I recently saw a game that had a "simple switch problem", and it ended up being a costly board repair.

"we replace blown globes and rubbers" - So does everyone else, but it is NOT clear if ALL globes, or ALL rubbers are replaced ? Same with coil sleeves and pop bumper skirts.

EMs are usually cheap, but be aware of missing coils, relays or ever score motors.

As a first machine, you should look around at the different suppliers and play each game that interests you. You should buy a fully reconditioned or restored title and then buy a project game of the same manufacturer to learn from.

Cheers for the feedback.

The trouble is most of the machines are either in NSW or VIC and myself living in .SA, it's hard to go and look before bidding. And seeing that I'd never seen under a playfield until a month ago, I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway lol.

I've become pretty friendly with the owner of the a local supplier/service companies who run a Friday night lock in and any machine I buy will go through his workshop 1st.
Resistance is futile

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
hi,i have a large (37) collection in sa .contact me if you want to see what you get for the money,or any other advice you may need.i have a few cheapies but the average is around 2k.regards damien
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline MPE

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Re: working out what a machine is worth
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the offer. Will def be taking that up at some stage.
Resistance is futile

Offline jasthecase

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
boys any idea what a apollo 13 is worth?

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
1800-2300.