Author Topic: Data East Star Wars Restoration  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Data East Star Wars Restoration
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »

This machine is for a friend of mine's brother's 40th Birthday. What a great idea for a Birthday present ! I have a deadline, and it is fast approaching  ^&^

The game was another title I imported a few years back. Overall condition is good. Filthy, but it will come up a treat. I have a "soft spot" for Data East games. Some of them look and play better than their counterparts.

Condition Report

Cabinet - 8/10 - VERY colorful. The red is not faded (common on this title). Has the usual scuff marks, but no real bad damage. As per all games, the security bar is ugly !

Playfield - 8/10 - No major wear. Just the scoop holes need to be attended to. Plastics are REAL GOOD. The only exception is the right hand lower plastic at the entrance to the death star. I will have to source a replacement or create one from scratch. I will replace all the pop bumper caps. They are cracked and broken.

Translite - 10/10 - Perfect.

Electronics - 8/10 - No major problems. Most of the problems would be overlooked if not checked properly. Connectors are a problem. Fuses clips are an even bigger problem !

The "BEFORE" pictures

Begin to strip the playfield

I have seen a game that was SOLD as "shopped" with rubbers in this condition !

Playfield is bare. I remove ALL parts to do the job properly. The metal rails are left in place, as the cleaning and polishing can be done with smaller 2 inch disks. If the playfield had to be cleared, then all guides have to be removed.

A question was raised regarding the fact that even after "shopping" a pinball, the rubbers and playfield get dirty almost immediately. That's because simple (but time consuming) cleaning is not done. The playfield subway ramps and mechs are often not overhauled and cleaned properly. In this machine, there's one main subway ramp - a metal one. The playfield can be immaculately cleaned, but if the mechanisms and subways are not cleaned PROPERLY, then you are wasting your time. Here's an example (above pic) - I've cleaned the left side of the ramp and the top section. It was FILTHY. The right side was left "as is". Now if the game has BLACK rubbers, it is not noticed, but if the rubbers are WHITE - it is easily picked up. That's why I don't like black rubbers on reconditioned or shopped games. It is a warning to me that there might be "shortcuts" in the reconditioning, or "shopping" process.

A close-up of the problems caused when games are not reconditioned correctly. This step took an extra 10 minutes !

The kicker on the right has a VERY tired looking spring !

Rather than ADJUST the R2D2 assembly, the operator chose to pour grease all over the posts ! In time, this caused the assembly to seize.

Drop target a bit sluggish ? No problem, a bit of lube and they will be fine until they seize up completely ! I THROW these drop target straight into the bin !

Playfield rebuild

The playfield is cleaned and polished. Metal parts are re-grained and I start to re populate the playfield. The first thing I do is install the wooden side panels to give the playfield some support. I've polished the playfield and waxed it 3-4 times.

Tumbler gets a workout. I've run out of Flitz, and Greg (RTBB) asked me to try some of his new polishing media he was recommended by Jame (PinballInc). All I can say is that it "Shitz on flitz" ! This stuff is AMAZING !

Under the playfield - always overlooked. Without going through this process, many other issues cannot be rectified. The boards show some connector burn from GI and some CPU controlled lamps. It is easy to just replace the connectors, but it is a much better idea to actually FIND the source of these issues !

Here's a clue ! ALL the lamps sockets are corroded, or show signs of deterioration. They SHOULD be replaced. They WILL be creating extra stress on connectors and might be lowering the lifespan of the globes. No use replacing connectors if you don't address the possible cause !

Replacing the connectors is time consuming, but it NEEDS to be done !

This is what I'm left with after an hour of replacing ALL the globe holders !

Finish off the first update with CLEAN inserts !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Data East Star Wars Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
Looking very very nice already Nino.

As you mentioned, the machine was pretty filthy.  Those pop bumper skirts don't look like they have ever been cleaned.  I am guessing that the ball trough was pretty grungey as well - another dirt trap that is overlooked by 'shoppers'.

Black rubbers actually suit some games BUT you must have a few lighter coloured rubbers here and there e.g. flipper rubbers, Cliffy post rubbers to give you an indication of when it is time to give the machine a clean i.e. when the black lines start appearing on the rubbers.

That SW is going to be a damn nice machine when you have finished with it.  Looking forward to the next update.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
Well done Nino. Its looking great already.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Looking very very nice already Nino.

As you mentioned, the machine was pretty filthy.  Those pop bumper skirts don't look like they have ever been cleaned.  I am guessing that the ball trough was pretty grungey as well - another dirt trap that is overlooked by 'shoppers'.

Black rubbers actually suit some games BUT you must have a few lighter coloured rubbers here and there e.g. flipper rubbers, Cliffy post rubbers to give you an indication of when it is time to give the machine a clean i.e. when the black lines start appearing on the rubbers.

That SW is going to be a damn nice machine when you have finished with it.  Looking forward to the next update.

Bumper Bodies and Skirts are my NEW pet hate. These are ALWAYS avoided. They cost peanuts to replace, but they are rarely done at all. You can tell if a machine is reconditioned or shopped properly JUST by looking at the pops. If they are not replaced - then corners were cut !

Speaking of which, here are the rebuilt pop bumpers - what a huge difference it makes !

All mechs rebuilt

Re assembly - with Cliffys installed. BUT - BEFORE installing cliffys, the outholes were repaired. No use in installing Cliffys if the repair is not done, as the Cliffy WILL buckle and assume the shape of the wear. It is no use in sinply installing cliffys to hide the wear and damage. Repair it FIRST !

See what I mean about pop bumpers  *%*

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
Totally agree.  Bumper bodies and skirts are cheap but why are the rod and rings relatively expensive compared to them?  The new owner is going to be stoked with that machine.
Addicted to pins.

Offline burninator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »
Awesome write up for a noob like me to follow and learn a few things. Nice work!

$#$ Runs off to check the underside of my playfield for mentioned issues with globe holders.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
Wow, that machine is coming up beautifully  #*#

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:22 PM »

Great work as always mate.

On the point of pop bumper skirts - funny how we often see "dealers" criticizing "backyarders" work, and yet I have never seen new skirts on pop bumpers on dealer games I have bought (not that there are many of those). They are cheap, but a bit of a pain to replace time wise, just another corner to cut!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
How's the shine on that PF wow good stuff,  and it doesn't take long to get a coating of the black crud even the new games get covered quick.

Peter

Offline Private Gimp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mackay, Queensland
  • Fix'n and play'n Pinball
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
Wow, that is a nice restoration you have going there. I agree 100% with the poppies.

I have a DE Star Wars to do also but I'll strip the playfield and remove the old Mylar which is cracking badly and really looks like a POS. I also need to get the ultra expensive 3D targets, all 5.
I'll have to post before pics!
The cabinet of the one Iam redoing is also very very very bad flaking on the front so I'll have to do some painting to get it looking decent.
I will also need the death Star entrance plastics both upper and lower. Did you get the plastics from Mad Mike?

kind regards,
Cliff

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Looks Awsome Nino,

I love my DE Starwars so it's great to see a restoration thread on one. If you don't end up getting a death star entrance plastic I can scan mine. just let me know.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
Looks Awsome Nino,

I love my DE Starwars so it's great to see a restoration thread on one. If you don't end up getting a death star entrance plastic I can scan mine. just let me know.

I thought you might like this one Adam.
Addicted to pins.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »

Great work as always mate.

On the point of pop bumper skirts - funny how we often see "dealers" criticizing "backyarders" work, and yet I have never seen new skirts on pop bumpers on dealer games I have bought (not that there are many of those). They are cheap, but a bit of a pain to replace time wise, just another corner to cut!

Yep see it all the time on eBay and funny all the hole through posts get left as well...

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »
Looks Awsome Nino,

Yep, pre resto it even looks to be in the same nick as mine when I got it. This one doesnt appear to be held together with nails and electrical tape under the playfield though.  @.@  Good to see another one come back to life.   @@* New owner will be very happy with this one! Great game, great work!  *%* can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
Looks Awsome Nino,

Yep, pre resto it even looks to be in the same nick as mine when I got it. This one doesnt appear to be held together with nails and electrical tape under the playfield though.  @.@  Good to see another one come back to life.   @@* New owner will be very happy with this one! Great game, great work!  *%* can't wait to see the finished product.

What do you mean, aren't flipper mechs supposed to be held together by bent nails or wires wedged into a connector by a nail?  That cost someone alot of money to get that sort of repair done.  This resto alone is a prime example of the difference between a wannabe who knows nothing about the product he is selling and someone who takes immense pride in their work and is very thorough. 
Addicted to pins.