Author Topic: Question for Judge Dredd Owners?  (Read 661 times)

Offline burninator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Question for Judge Dredd Owners?
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
Hi folks,

I've been thinking of buying a Judge Dredd pinball machine, went and looked at one earlier in the week and just curious about the Deadworld ramp shot.

How hard should that shot be to make off the right flipper, i found that when i had a perfect shot at that ramp it wouldn't make it all the way up the ramp and roll back down. It was almost impossible to make that left ramp shot....is this normal? Or does it sound like the flipper is weak and in need of a rebuild? Comparing it to my other 2 pins the flippers in general did seem very weak, not sure if that's just because it was a different machine though?

The JD was leveled fine so it wasn't that.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Question for Judge Dredd Owners?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
I've had two over the years, and both have had that trait - you have to be spot on with the shots - particularly the left ramp

Offline casperthefriendly

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
Rebuild the the flippers anyway - cheap and easy to do, then you can only blame your lack of skill  %$%

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »
I used to own a JD and you shouldn't have any problems getting a ball up the ramp at all.  You do have to be very accurate but flipper strength shouldn't be an issue.

If you do buy a JD, make sure you do the Deadworld mod if it hasn't been done already.  It makes a huge difference and is much better.
Addicted to pins.

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
Make sure it has the correct flipper coils.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
I've just about finished rebuilding one with a full playfield swap and everything rebuilt 100%.  Its a couple of weeks off being ready for testing (waiting on 1 part) but will let you know..

As Blair said it should make the shot up the ramp no worries.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »
I used to own a JD and you shouldn't have any problems getting a ball up the ramp at all.  You do have to be very accurate but flipper strength shouldn't be an issue.

If you do buy a JD, make sure you do the Deadworld mod if it hasn't been done already.  It makes a huge difference and is much better.

+1 I had a really nice JD and never had any problems making any ramps as long as the shots were pure.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
Mine is due for a flipper rebuild but even so I can get the ball up the ramp most times if the aim is reasonably accurate. As others have advised, a flipper rebuild can do wonders  but it may be worth checking that the correct flipper coils are installed as well. Williams had several flipper coil variants for this generation of pinball each of which had a different 'flip strength'. I've just looked at the manual and it should be a FL-11629 (Blue wrapping), I think blue was the strongest in the range if memory serves...

Offline Hashman

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • SKW Corporation
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »
I've just about finished rebuilding one with a full playfield swap and everything rebuilt 100%.  Its a couple of weeks off being ready for testing (waiting on 1 part) but will let you know..

As Blair said it should make the shot up the ramp no worries.

Would be very interested in this if it is not spoken for already.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
Not my machine just doing the work for him unfortunately!! Although there was a 8.5 to 9 / 10 playfield available..

Offline burninator

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
Thanks for all the input folks, very handy to know. I had a feeling it wasn't quite right.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
Top game JD glad it's made a come back 10-12 years ago they where very hard to move I got one at auction back then for $800 friend has it now.

Peter

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
Top game JD glad it's made a come back 10-12 years ago they where very hard to move I got one at auction back then for $800 friend has it now.

Peter

If the new JD movie is any good then this machine may see a spike in price. I couldn't imagine the first dud of a movie with sly stallon did much for the comic bases pins sales.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »
I brought my JD 5 years ago, great deal at $1,200 nz dollars
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
I brought my JD 5 years ago, great deal at $1,200 nz dollars

Good price 1k Oz dollars maybe? great game and due to the crap movie the pin suffered unfairly.

Peter