Author Topic: Gary Stern coming to Sydney - 9th Dec  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Gary Stern coming to Sydney - 9th Dec
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:36:36 AM by Olivia_jason »

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 11:55:08 PM »
I think he should visit comicon with all the other nerds ;-)

Seriously, what kind of information could he possibly share that isn't already on the stern site (or to be announced soon), and how many idiotic irrelevant questions will he be asked by pinheads?

There's a little thing called email where you can ask him what you like thru the stern site....
What's your favourite colour Gary?  ;-)

2cents... !*!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
Sometimes people will share things face to face with a select few who have made the effort to visit n hear him talk, than what he might or might not say in writing on a email etc....(espescially if its private-ish with no cameras or recorders shoved in his face for 5 minutes).

As for dumb questions from people, I am already pre-empting comparisons to JJP and the panic some people are putting into Stern not cloning them straight away to stay in the market etc...and will u have a 26 inch LCD monitor out by next wednesday etc etc etc...so I definately see your point there...and his favourite colour will NOT be emerald green, that I do know.lol  %.% %.%

I am just hoping its not the same talk that he did at the last large pinball show in the USA (which i listened to already) but its about what Stern is doing to crush JJP,lol and any new titles like Avengers and what new directions they are going in. Its a risk to fly/drive all that way from the Gold Coast so I will be tossing a coin me thinks and see what the answer holds....
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
You read the constructive criticism of Stern all wrong cavey... noone here has said that Stern need to "clone" JJP. In fact the consensus  has been  that the LCD on JJP is too big and the perfect balance is to have a DMD size or slightly larger LCD screen... why??? Because the graphics will be stunning.
Its like comparing a 1985 LED watch screen to a 2012 I Phone screen... Surely even you can see the improvement?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:35 AM »
You read the constructive criticism of Stern all wrong cavey... noone here has said that Stern need to "clone" JJP. In fact the consensus  has been  that the LCD on JJP is too big and the perfect balance is to have a DMD size or slightly larger LCD screen... why??? Because the graphics will be stunning.
Its like comparing a 1985 LED watch screen to a 2012 I Phone screen... Surely even you can see the improvement?

I was being tongue in cheek about the cloning part, although some will want Stern to clone JJP for sure, because Stern can do no good no matter what.lol...........I just want the next 2 years to fly past 20 times quicker so we can see where things are with the industry then...
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
well I have locked in, so if allowed will do a low res recording of anything of interest - mainly avengers and share here late Sunday a brief de******ion and some photos and / or video
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:00:26 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 07:03:48 AM »
Last call, 9.30 to 11.30am today at Darling Harbour Sydney, check out this threads 1st post for more details.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Last call, 9.30 to 11.30am today at Darling Harbour Sydney, check out this threads 1st post for more details.

Enjoy Jady and plenty of photos please gee wish I could be there.

Peter

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
+ 1 for some photo's
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
waiting for the doors to open, will get photos and videos where possible

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Well did a 2hr drive to Sydney, 2hrs with Gary with a small crew of guys (about 30 in total turned up), 2hr return trip and back on the computer for a update while it was fresh in my mind.

Gary definitely is a character, loves to reminisce, it is amazing how small the industry is with Sam Stern and Mr Williams having had a business together. So he went through some historical stuff (as a kid to growing up in the industry) which was interesting but very similar to many of his talks on youtube and then a Stern tour video. Then half way through or a touch more we got up to the now which I will break up into sections and included info gained from question and answer time - which they actually did not give us a lot of time to ask:

The Pin
- The Transformer home version pin not for the collector nor the pinball player but for the intro person that wants a more hassle free experience
- this pin will use the new SAM 2.0 System
- the pin will have a tilt up / lift up glass.
- the trim is actually finished with some new coating technique and is powder coated timber
- After the Transformer model will be a Avengers - The Pin

The SAM 2.0 System
- after Sam Stern and Smoke and Mirrors (getting lots of use and effects out of new technology
- states is the future especially with node boards
- the main board has 2 usb ports, 1 sd port, 6 ultra bright leds which will replace the backbox fluro for providing light to the translate.
- SAM 2 board system will be linked into node boards so everything is connected with 6 wire like computer cables so less cabling
- this new board system will be tested in 10-20 AC/DC Premiums shortly to go to sited locations to get a work out and test - which will then go into every pinball only once tested and proven so looks like not in Avengers.

Pro, Premium and LE model
- Pro for the operator and pinball player (base level)
- interesting facts are 30% of pros reach the operator in the US, 40% pro's reach the operator in Aus and 99% hit the operator market in Italy
- the pro once moved to the new SAM system will be all LED as it can not run incandescent globes at all so the end is near with older globe lighting
- Premium is for the pinball enthusiasts that wants the le features but saving on the bling
- the LE is for the collector and he feels 500 of one type is too much and not so exclusive and 2 lots of 250 is a good mix and he said the X-men magneto was not as good seller as they thought and he personally does not like green games (the hulk).
This sort of variants will be the future with the premiums not always done ???? a bit of a who knows. He also said that they still have not mastered the business model as it changes with each pin / theme, which at least he admits.

Design
- one for you cavey - as long as he has some say in it there will be NO wide bodies machines as he thought they played slow, need more parts to fill it and in the end more expensive so would affect the price point of the games. He also said when a company brings out a wide body to him that means they are going down the drain.....
- does not like a full back box lcd but did not elude to anything else
- EDIT (added later) - Since all cabinets have decals now, decals will now be available through distributors to replace the faded or damaged ones on your cabinet

Titles
- was asked about the hobbit licence and he said basically JJP paid ALOT for it.
- was asked when the hobbit comes out would he consider riding the coat tales and do a re-run of The Lord of the Rings and he said that sound a interesting idea. They did re-new that licence but would have to re-new again to do anything else.
- was asked if he has played the WOZ, short answer was no as he did not want his photo taken playing it

The Avengers
- didn't give us anything new here except he has played the Pro alot and said it was a good fun machine - like he was going to say anything else.
- I asked about the leds - answer above in relation to the SAM system
- asked about the plate in front of the hulk and he hesitated, stumbled and stated didn't really now ????
- the hulk hits the table with his arms
- there is a magnet fitted to the table there ??? not sure where

AMD
- Bruce said LE's have sold out in Aus with 10-20 sold, exact amount kept secret but for every Avengers LE he got he had to get a Hulk LE which was a Stern condition.
- Pro's coming into the country 3rd week of January  $#$

overall my first time experience of hearing Gary talk was very interesting and entertaining. He is a smart man with a degree in accounting / business and the a law degree and has had a few businesses including bars and pubs so hats off to him - smart guy and still passionate at 67 - well done  ^^^. I take my hat off to him again for keeping the industry alive because of his passion, as that has helped alot of other pinball companies stay alive, grow and new ones develop as well. At the end he happily signed flyers and a guys AC/DC mirrored back glass which was nice of him.

some photos
- Gary
- Gary and myself
- Sam 2.0 System
- Sam 2.0 System closer look

I hope you enjoyed the info
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:44:57 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
Did he mention or did anyone ask about the TF and X-men code updates this month?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »
Did he mention or did anyone ask about the TF and X-men code updates this month?

No he didn't and I did not think to ask either, sorry

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the write up I enjoyed reading, funny he didn't want a photo playing woz there might be a few in that boat lol :-)

Peter

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Some interesting points from Gary.

Titles
- was asked about the hobbit licence and he said basically JJP paid ALOT for it.
- was asked when the hobbit comes out would he consider riding the coat tales and do a re-run of The Lord of the Rings and he said that sound a interesting idea. They did re-new that licence but would have to re-new again to do anything else.

I wonder how the licencing costs compares to WOZ?

Doing a LOTR re-run could be pretty lucrative, but the differences in technology of The Hobbit & LOTR would be chalk and cheese. But LOTR may be more attractive to some buyers because of it's price point.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)