Author Topic: Gary Stern coming to Sydney - 9th Dec  (Read 3871 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Gary Stern coming to Sydney - 9th Dec
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »
The ultimate and the only forum where the vibrant community of pinball enthusiast, collectors, players come together with the industry people – the manufacturer, distributors, operators and service people.

We are pleased to announce that Gary Stern the President of Stern Pinball Inc. from Chicago, USA will be our main speaker at 2012 Sydney Pinball Symposium at the Hard Rock Café, Darling Harbour, Sydney on Sunday, the 9th of December 2012 (9:30AM to 11:30AM)
What the future brings….Where we’re heading…..Pinballs in Australia and worldwide…. The growing interest in competitive pinball….The impact of technology… and more
This is your opportunity to ask questions and meet in person the man who keeps the pinball dream alive!

Registration is necessary, the condition of entry is your donation of  $20 per person to the Youth Off The Streets Charity.

DATE: Sunday, December 9, 2012

TIME: 9.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.

VENUE:

Hard Rock Café, Level 2, Harbourside Centre, Darling Harbour, Sydney

go to the link to register if interested.
http://www.ticketflex.com/Pinball_Symposium/2012_Sydney_Pinball_Symposium.htm

I am thinking of going, so if anyone else goes let me know so we can meet and have a chat. Also hoping that they have a Avengers on show, doubtful but would be very cool. The Saturday is the pinball comp I think for the AC/DC ??? I think
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Gary Stern coming to Sydney - 9th Dec
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »

That's an interesting one. Hopefully they can record the session for the out-of-staters.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
I would like to fly down if business doesnt get in the way..well worth it I reckon.  It would be nice to thank Gary for AC/DC and X Men titles...perhaps a big thanks in advance for Avengers as well.

Second thing to mention/ask for is for Stern to not copy JJP, the dot matrix works well, make it bigger perhaps like the Sega one was back in 1995 (Batman Forever etc), anything, but dont copy the JJP way, cause we dont want pinball heading down the Pin2000 way too much again with massive LCD which looks stagnant when game play is on, and we dont want to lose the translite art features either...It would be great to hear Garys thoughts on the future of Stern and what they are cooking up and where they are aiming for etc...this is a big deal for any pinball person who loves this hobby with passion...

Thanks for sharing the info Swinksy.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
Who's we?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »

I would love to go, but I can't.

I would like all the NSW guys to make an effort - if you are not busy etc - go and support Stern. At least catch up with Norbert, who is one of the nicest guys I've met in a while  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

That's an interesting one. Hopefully they can record the session for the out-of-staters.

Yes me to I'd love to hear what Gary has to say.

Peter

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:37:07 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
anything, but dont copy the JJP way, cause we dont want pinball heading down the Pin2000 way too much again

JJP's , machine looks nothing like a pin2000 machine, for starters the cab is a traditional pinball cab, whilest pin2000 had some good ideas the execution was wrong and the design was wrong. i honestly cant see why an entire headbox cant be an Lcd and have a moving translight, yet still looking like a trans light. scaring people out of innovation and saying things will end up like a pin2000 game if they experiment isnt helpfull imo.
and it doesn't move anything forward. he has to copy JJP because he cant come up with anything smart himself and he will fail because he is left behind

A few points to consider for anyone interested...and yes, I am in a hyped up manic/happy mood as usual so dont read if you dont want to.lol  @.@ %.% %.%

Pin2000 only looked the way it did because they didnt have very thin LCD screens back in 1999, otherwise the headbox may have been a normal, headbox shape, making the game look similar/identical to all dmd games b4 it, versus it looking like a babys pram which was just too much for alot of people to get their head around. Also, alot of people still enjoy playing the Pin2000 games, and they do add a great diversity to a collection.
The comment regarding Stern not going like JJP/Pin2000, is to provide feedback to Stern to keep the focus on the playfield n shots n the basics that make a great pinball game exactly that, great, versus focusing on a 26 inch LCD screen which is the now the instant and most prominent feature of the WOZ machine...which is getting warm feedback at best, n looks dead when the game is off...

Its early days, we all have to wait for the dust to settle...I dont want Stern to be a clone of JJP, I want Stern to stay like it hs now become...the results of AC/DC and X Men and Avengers show a new and positive direction..Nothing happens overnight, and yes, Stern isnt perfect and has made mistakes...this isnt a easy business. Gary has always said that..

....I for one dont want all pinball machines going that way (JJP style) just because one manufacturer JJP believes its the way to go...as a buyer of new in box machines, I want dot matrix displays to stay for at least most Stern models and the Stern range....I also want translites to stay and the beautiful artwork which entices u over to a machine...not a LCD screen running advertisements which is where the JJP model will probably be forced to go when on location by operators squeezing every cent they can from a machine cause they can......
Re Stern, The X Men and AC/DC machines work n play extremely well to most buyers and the feedback from 99 percent of BNIB buyers say the same thing..That format works well.. Sure, adding Leds, RGB, better sound systems and the things Stern has been doing is moving in the right direction, but too much too quick, is also a problem if u are not careful...

People saying Stern has to copy or will instantly and automatically copy JJP to me, is simply not corect IMO, because its just not a forgiven conclusion..Alot of people beat up on Sterns just to keep the Bally/Williams resales higher as well, another thing that sometimes is blatant, but thats another topic... Sure, JJP is doing things differently, but it doesnt mean Stern isnt producing great machines at the moment.....Stern will never fail, there are too many passionate pinball people in the world today and the industry is booming by normal standards when u look at the last 13 years.

I think even the most enthusiastic Stern critic would learn alot by talking to Gary Stern and hearing him out with a open mind...sometimes meeting people in person removes all the negative assumptions or beliefs we get from time to time...I dont and cant judge people only on the past, at some point you have to give the bloke (Gary) a break and wipe the slate clean and give the bloke a chance. I did a few years back, and I am so glad i did.
My family loves my 2 x Sterns and so do all my guests. I have had plenty of people buy new machines just by playing mine.

Am i biased towards Stern, no, not at all, just absolutely positive about pinball and its future because pinball needs enthusiasm and constructive helpful feedback to survive too. I will be going to the Gary Stern talk, I think it would be a pleasure meeting someone who has invested his life into pinball. I try to be positive about everything most days, because when people have put you down all your life, the worst thing is reading anything that hasnt got a positive spin to it......Ok, hypo typing over.lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:37:21 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
This post is not a go at you cavey, just a different opinion on some of the things you have said. Just wanted to be clear, its so easy to be taken wrong these days.  *%*

I want Stern to stay like it hs now become...the results of AC/DC and X Men and Avengers show a new and positive direction..Nothing happens overnight, and yes, Stern isnt perfect and has made mistakes...this isnt a easy business. Gary has always said that..

Come on mate, Avengers isn't even out yet! How can it have results? And when you speak about results AC/DC is undeniable but X-Men? I would like to see some figures on that as i don't think i went nearly as well as anticipated. If you mean gameplay, well i can't even find one in Vic to play and from what i have read about it it 'feels' very familiar to another recent Borg game and the software leaves alot to be desired?

Stern will never fail, there are too many passionate pinball people in the world today and the industry is booming by normal standards when u look at the last 13 years.

I know you are passionate (being nice here) about Stern, but to say they will 'never' fail is a bit naive isn't it? If someone comes along JJP, Skit-B or whoever and does it better than Stern (in the consumers eyes) there is always a risk that the sales will drop to a level that is not sustainable for them to stay in business.

My family loves my 2 x Sterns and so do all my guests. I have had plenty of people buy new machines just by playing mine.

As i am sure they would love a B/W equally as much? Sounds like you are saying Stern's are more fun than anything else there...... !@#

Am i biased towards Stern, no, not at all

Seriously?  %$% *%*

I love your contribution to this forum mate but that comment blew me away..... %.%

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:55:47 PM by Cursed »

Offline roundball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
Who's we?

'We', as in me, myself and I.  &&

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »
Who's we?

'We', as in me, myself and I.  &&

Glad thats been cleared up.. thought i was included for a minute

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »
Cursed, you make some good points...
Firstly, correct, Avengers isnt out yet, but the general Sternfan concensus is that it will be a winner based on the theme alone which has been popular worldwide movie wise etc, and the hope/fact the quality and game design will be kept in line (as good) as recent titles like AC/DC and X Men. Remembering AC/DC achieved its biggest pro-rata results in Australia etc, but X Men has been huge in the USA and has also been very well recieved n sold in Australia. I have personally been to 4 peoples houses who have a X Men Pro, and 4 peoples houses with the LE X Men model as well, just in QLD alone, and know of apx half a dozen in Sydney as well..

I think alot more X Men machines would have been sold but alot of people are still getting over the huge financial outlay of having just payed for a AC/DC LE etc (most people bought the LE for $9300 plus etc) and also, some people are holding off buying a X Men til they see the Avengers...Its very early days for X Men so far. Also, I have alot of the Borg titles, and have played all of Borgs Stern titles, and X Men plays nothing like anything even close, and the software is excellent, feels very complete so how anyone could think that, would tell me they havent even played X Men as yet. X Men i believe is great, and I am a hard person to please when it comes to forking out $6600 and above on any pinball machine..

I dont think Stern will fail, they have been through tougher times and their product is better than ever, and stern fans are on the rise. Staff levels of talented people at Stern have never been so good design wise etc, and Stern has capital to move forward now more than ever. Pinball has become popular. If you can get thru the GFC, u can get thru anything probably.

People play all my games when they visit which includes all manufacturers. Stern games just happen to be the most modern and they usually attract the most instant attention. I have sold more B/W games than any other model than I have kept cause I find them overpriced n over-rated...I have tried to keep them, but on gameplay alone i keep games, not by over rated nametags/namebrands. Espescially when guests say the same thing time after time. Most people say B/W titles are over rated n over priced. I wont disagree they are some of the prettt-est n nicest art designed/themed games, but that over compensates alot of the time n makes them look better than they really are IMO.

Its hard to argue a 1999 model is better than the latest 2012/2013 model. Unless u have forked out 7 grand for a 14 yr old machine and u want to make sure u get ya money back, which is human nature.

I am not biased towards Stern at all really, I just dont believe that pinball started n finished with Bally/Williams only.....

Anyway, a good healthy debate is what these posts/threads are about and if anyone can learn one thing from our banter, then maybe we have done something good.lol  Theres no right or wrong, just opinions.lol  As long as we stay passionate about pinball, it doesnt matter about age, brand or pricetag, just hit those flippers n get every bastard u know to buy a pinball machine.lol  and yes, I am probably wrong half the time n right the other half, just have to work out which half... ^^^
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:27:24 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
Anyway, a good healthy debate is what these posts/threads are about and if anyone can learn one thing from our banter, then maybe we have done something good.lol  Theres no right or wrong, just opinions.lol  As long as we stay passionate about pinball, it doesnt matter about age, brand or pricetag, just hit those flippers n get every bastard u know to buy a pinball machine.

Now that i 100% agree with!  ^^^

Ok should probably go back to topic now....lol.

This Sydney Pinball Symposium, I can't find any info on it. Is anything else happening besides Gary speaking and the AC/DC comp the day before?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:56:05 PM by Cursed »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »
I am hoping it will be the release of a LE Avengers, not likely but would be awesome.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts