Author Topic: Keyboard encoders  (Read 2236 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Keyboard encoders
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
Hi guys
           I'm trying to modify my touchscreen jukebox at the moment you use the screen to turn the page but to use that option there is also an option that allows people to skip songs so the plan is to add two buttons to turn the pages.

Does anyone know of a cheaper or easy way to do this.   I don't really want to spend $70 on a keyboard encoder with 30 inputs when I only need 2

Ill go that road if no one know any other options

Thanks

Offline casperthefriendly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Keyboard encoders
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
What about hacking an old mouse - that'll give you 2+ buttons with a USB connection at the other end. You might need to look through a few to find a layout to which you could solder, but should be cheap enough.

Alternatively, you could do a gamepad/controller hack.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
About $15 including post:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-joystick-for-MAME-Fight-Stick-Controls-/170944764699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cd1a1b1b

New Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder PC to joystick for MAME & Fight Stick Controls

Packing Includes                 

1 x USB Cable                 

4 x Wire Sets for Joystick (UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT)                 

8 x Wire Sets for 8 Buttons. (The encoder allows for four additional button inputs)                 

1 x Instructions                 
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Marty Machine

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
I'm not sure 'where' you would solder in 2 buttons to replace the function(s) of a touchscreen?

You'd need some kind of intelligent controller that has 2 button inputs and can generate touchscreen co-ordinates, and then you'd need to make sure it would interface into your existing touchscreen controller, more than likely it's not usb and a direct drive instead.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies I hacked up a USB keyboard which seems to work.   The jukebox program had options for use with keypad Marty.

The encoder I bought for the job was advertised as a keyboard encoder but looks like its a joystick encoder and the jukebox program Only recognises keyboard strokes

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
My next suggestion (if it uses usb) was to hack apart a usb keyboard, and just use 2 buttons wired in the wiring matrix, but obviously you've now done that ;-)