Author Topic: Star Trek - Stern 2013  (Read 12128 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Star Trek - Stern 2013
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
Played a Star Trek Pro. What a great machine. Going to buy one when the time is right.

Excellent game. Fast n furious. Code updates as usual will make this even more of a fun n fast weapon.

Another Stern winner.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #241 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
Just a quick question about opto's are they both meant to be glowing? my ST has four behind the target the back two are both glowing but with the front two only the left one is glowing and the one on the right isn't with my basic knowledge of optos I thought both should be glowing. ST has opto's on the ramps and both are glowing at each other :-) I did a switch test and they all seem fine even the one with a opto out? I've also re-seated the connectors any ideas?

P:S-anyone with a ST are all yours behind the target glowing?

Thanks Peter

Offline malcor

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re:
« Reply #242 on: January 04, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
I bought AMD's last ST LE the other day. It arrives Jan 24th

Really? Probably said that as part of a sales tactic to get you to commit to the purchase.

I bought an ST LE from AMD this week, apparently their last available one of a batch arriving next month.

Offline Wiked

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #243 on: January 05, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »
Yes well maybe the case but that didn't make me buy it. A few weeks before I had emailed them and they said they had 3 left in stock. I waited a few weeks and then decided to ring and put down a deposit and he said I was lucky as it was the last one but I had already committed to buy anyway before ringing and paid my deposit over the phone.

Not in any hurry for it arrive and doubt I will even open the box for weeks anyway. Just have other priorities taking up my time these days.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #244 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »
Yes well maybe the case but that didn't make me buy it. A few weeks before I had emailed them and they said they had 3 left in stock. I waited a few weeks and then decided to ring and put down a deposit and he said I was lucky as it was the last one but I had already committed to buy anyway before ringing and paid my deposit over the phone.

Not in any hurry for it arrive and doubt I will even open the box for weeks anyway. Just have other priorities taking up my time these days.

Well done nice buy your gunna love this pinball nothing but fun :-) post pics please and who cares if it's a sales tactic you have a STLE :-)

Peter

Offline malcor

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
That's similar to my situation. I emailed them just before Christmas and was told 3 were available. Didn't get a chance to respond until the new year and was then told only one was left. Got the high pressure sales tactic to put a deposit on it immediately, which I was intending on doing anyway, but I got an extra thrown in before actually committing.

I like AMD and have bought a few items from them, and have dealt with Bruce going back to when he worked at LAI. I just thought it was interesting that you and I were both told that we purchased their last ST LE. It wasn't meant as a criticism towards you or AMD. In my case (and yours by the sound of it) the sales spiel was unnecessary, since I made it clear that I wanted to purchase one.

Also, I almost didn't buy an ST LE from AMD. After I read your initial post I was worried that I missed out, then after searching found a seller on eBay with a new LE for sale. However, after enquiring about it was told that the LE was sold and the auction was for a premium (for the same price?!). So then I thought I would ask AMD if they had any LEs left anyway, all the while thinking that you got the last one. I'm glad you didn't!

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
Just a quick question about opto's are they both meant to be glowing? my ST has four behind the target the back two are both glowing but with the front two only the left one is glowing and the one on the right isn't with my basic knowledge of optos I thought both should be glowing. ST has opto's on the ramps and both are glowing at each other :-) I did a switch test and they all seem fine even the one with a opto out? I've also re-seated the connectors any ideas?

Thanks Peter

Peter, I just came back from holidays. The optos behind the target are the same on mine to what you describe. The four ramps have 2 each with both lit but behind the target, the front right is not lit.
Just came back from Batemans Bay, not a pinnie in sight for a whole week!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:47:07 PM by Freiherr »
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »

Thanks Peter

Peter, I just came back from holidays. The optos behind the target are the same on mine to what you describe. The four ramps have 2 each with both lit but behind the target, the front right is not lit.
Just came back from Batemans Bay, not a pinnie in sight for a whole week!

Cheers yep ours are all good but as a mate pointed out stern Optos are "send and receive" so only the left ones are on and the right ones aren't,  you can tell by covering the left with your finger and your see the right aren't glowing :-)

Peter

Offline Wiked

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
That's similar to my situation. I emailed them just before Christmas and was told 3 were available. Didn't get a chance to respond until the new year and was then told only one was left. Got the high pressure sales tactic to put a deposit on it immediately, which I was intending on doing anyway, but I got an extra thrown in before actually committing.

I like AMD and have bought a few items from them, and have dealt with Bruce going back to when he worked at LAI. I just thought it was interesting that you and I were both told that we purchased their last ST LE. It wasn't meant as a criticism towards you or AMD. In my case (and yours by the sound of it) the sales spiel was unnecessary, since I made it clear that I wanted to purchase one.

Also, I almost didn't buy an ST LE from AMD. After I read your initial post I was worried that I missed out, then after searching found a seller on eBay with a new LE for sale. However, after enquiring about it was told that the LE was sold and the auction was for a premium (for the same price?!). So then I thought I would ask AMD if they had any LEs left anyway, all the while thinking that you got the last one. I'm glad you didn't!
Good to know for future reference about what Bruce said to the both of us. I'm happy you got one also.  

I had decided to buy one if he had 25 or 1 left. If you want one, know the price and enquire on the phone if they have one, you are going to buy one regardless. I can appreciate he would get a lot of tyre kickers ringing or emailing and people who although have the money just cannot commit. This will be my first Stern....hey I had never even seen a Stern in my life until last week when I went to Henry's (JunJun0802 on AA) house to have a look at his machines for sale. Still never played one but I like the ST theme (I have a STTNG) and the feedback has been very very good on the machine. If I don't like it I will sell it.....If I love it I will keep it for many many years.

He said they arrive Jan 24th (Friday) so I guess it will arrive here (Gold Coast) by Tuesday 28th. You will certainly have yours up and running before me so I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:39:01 PM by Wiked »

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
From the king :-)

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/startrek/index4.html

Looks like lots of good things planned   
Steve Ritchie:
Great job so far, Martin. Your thoroughness amazes me.
Some comments, tips, & suggestions for your readers:
The ST Warp Ramp exit is easily adjustable at the exit end on all models. There is a fixing screw with washers pinching the plastic ramp between them. A lateral slot has been designed into the ramp, and with the playfield pulled forward so that the "feet" of the playfield support brackets safely parked in the front molding tray, one can grasp and adjust the Warp Ramp exit with the left hand while loosening and tightening can be achieved with a long-ish #2 Phillips screwdriver with the right hand. There is an access port cut into the Beta Ramp edge and plastic just for this use.
While the ball is wild and speeds vary along the Warp Ramp, every ST model can be adjusted so that a nice feed to the upper right flipper can largely be attained. Some ST games need the adjustment and some don't.
I don't recommend the use of post sleeves on the mini posts in place of the rubber donuts. Sleeves have too little rebound for my tastes, and they don't belong on ST. "Says who?" Says The King! You can use sleeves, but I will laugh and jeer like the Black Knight when I see your game.
There are some great new urethane post, mini post and flipper rubbers (Super Bands) available from Marco that are super durable and provide great rebound. They are manufactured by C.U.E. led by Joe Scalleta, and come in a full range of colors and styles. I wish I knew about them and not sure they were even available before ST production; I would have specified them on all models. They show no wear at all after hundreds of fun plays in my testing.
The "Matter" targets are actually called "Red Matter" targets from the liquid used in Star Trek 2009 by Nero to destroy Spock's home planet, Vulcan. It should be used sparingly, a little goes a long way! You can see droplets of the dangerous liquid near all Red Matter targets.
There is no skill shot in the Beam-Me-Up lanes because there was never any skill involved other than changing lanes, which should, by now, be second nature to all that have played pinball in the last 35 years. I am tired of lane "skill shots".
Here is an AUTHENTIC "secret" skill shot for your readers: Hold the right flipper button in while depressing the "Punch It!" button when the ball is first launched. The game will keep the right electric gate open for a left gate rebound feed to the upper right flipper. Shoot the Warp Ramp and see what you get! Depressing the left flipper button while launching a ball out of the shooter enables a skill shot as well. Find it! There may be even more skill shots available.
There are new adjustments in the diagnostics to adjust kicker power for sling shots and the left eject.
If the Kickback "Rescue" kicker misses sometimes, don't adjust it physically. There is new software coming VERY soon that makes the Kickback kick the ball back up the playfield nearly 100% of the time.
I say nearly, because when playing ST, the ball is speedy wild, and anything can happen!
The same goes for the Warp Ramp sequencing lights which don't always chase the ball on every Warp Ramp shot. Don't adjust your optos or anything physical, they are likely working fine. The software fix will be grouped with the kickback fix, and again, issued VERY soon.
There are also more ST software updates coming, including Karl Urban ("Bones") speech and more. Questions will be answered and rules expanded.
Star Trek was designed to be a Battle Game which is a challenge for every player of every skill level. I like how skillful players are torn between cradling the ball and making careful shots vs. flipping for the combo bonuses on the fly!
To players everywhere I say Fight Back! Enjoy the flow and shoot those skillful shots with a Vengeance! (ugh!) And do be careful!
Steve Ritchie
Jonathan (Pinball Magazine):
Excellent review of the play field (as always)!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »
I want one bad after reading Steves insight.

I have always been a trekky, but this Star Trek machine has got me excited as hell. Just hope the Pro is a screamer like all of Sterns other recent Pro releases.

Great time for pinball. Thanks for sharing.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
Rock up to Timezone mate, you can play both the PRO & LE

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »

I have always been a trekky, but this Star Trek machine has got me excited as hell. Just hope the Pro is a screamer like all of Sterns other recent Pro releases.

Brilliant game. Fast and furious with perfect flow. No dead spots (apart from bumper exit). The balls sometimes go wild and fly off the playfield. My only concern is that over time some components may get battered to death. The lighting on ST is second to none and my AC/DC and Hulk look antiquated in comparison.  I make a point of playing one machine on different days and you get to appreciate all pros and cons of the different game.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:56 PM »

I have played the pro and premium and both are really really good and I am not a trekkie. Some differences between them but the Pro would still be excellent buying in my opinion.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
op_-A