Author Topic: Gottlieb Rocky Restore  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Gottlieb Rocky Restore
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
Gottlieb Rocky Restore

Background

Another machine destined for Mark's Collection. This is his "Holy Grail" pinball machine, so it will get the "full treatment". Rocky is a rare and very sought after System80, probably the most sought after Gottlieb SS machine built. I think Mark spent about as much time looking for a Rocky as I did, when I was looking for a Fathom.  ^^^

Condition

Backglass - 4/10 - Poor. Will be replaced at a later date

Cabinet - 8/10 - I didn't see the cab when it was purchased - But Mark's in house team did the touch ups & repairs

Playfield - 8/10 - Day 1 Mylar on the bulk of the playfield. One wear area around the ball kicker at the top of the playfield.

Electronics - 6/10 - Some real ugly "route" repairs done by a bushman mechanic....Ground mods need to be done

Objective

To restore the game - not recondition. The cabinet will has already been done (externally), the electrical section will be rebuilt, electronics "bullet-proofed" and the playfield will be rebuilt with replacement parts. Hopefully, with the impending purchase of a NOS Backglass it will be a solid 9/10 all round.

Starting point

The game was delivered after the touch ups were completed. The front door is removed - no point in re installing it as it will be cleaned and rebuilt. Here's some pictures before I started;

As mentioned, the door is removed so the front section could be touched up.

Playfield "Before" shots - There is one broken plastic that resides above the Top Drop Targets

The wear spot is at the very top of the playfield, just above the "when lit" writing.

New targets will be installed to replace the worn out set

Artwork has been redone in sections and looks very good.

"Mix and match" the flipper coils ! All are worn and need rebuild kits. EOS are from a different game on one of the flippers.

Playfield Stripped - Most of the easy to remove parts have been removed. The factory mylar is in great condition, just very dirty. Should come up really nice.

FILTHY - Thats all I can say.. Years of dirt and filth have accumulated. Needs a good clean.

Power Board - Will be removed and cleaned. There have been a few dodgy repairs here. There should be FOUR Bridge Rectifiers, not three. Two sets of wires have been connected to one BR !! I'm waiting on the Schematic from PBR to work out what's going on here. There's also a different capacitor mounted, so I need to check that out as well

The playfield is stripped topside and underside. All the mechanisms will be rebuilt, playfield parts polished and cleaned etc.Once the manual arrives I'll place the first order. Here's a list of what I need to do;

* Rebuild 5 X Flippers - Flipper Rebuild kits to be installed
* Rebuild 3 x Target assemblies - New Target set
* Rebuild Bumpers - New bumper bodies & Caps
* Rebuild every mechanism and install coil sleeves. Incorrect coils will be replaced
* New transparent posts
* New Rubbers, globes etc
* New flipper bats, lane guides, post caps...

Cabinet work will involve a total stripdown, check for breaks in the grounding, clean and polish metal parts and check the power board. At the moment the body is stripped and components are ready to reinstall - except the power board will need another BR and Capacitor.

The upper and lower playfield have been stripped and placed in boxes for now. I'll sort through what needs to be retained, and what needs to be replaced.

Cabinet

Everything is removed. Earth straps included. The cabinet is returned to an empty shell. First, all the parts that have been removed are washed and then polished. The screws are 1/4 inch hex heads and they will not
be cleaned in a tumbler. So each one is cleaned with the wire wheel mounted on my bench grinder.

Then the inside of the cab is washed several times. After drying, the cleaned parts are returned back into the cabinet.

The powerboard was disassembled and everything is washed, including the wiring and the cable guides. The transformer and wires are all checked, as well as the connectors. Then it is re installed. It will need a new BR and Capacitor.

The ground strap from the power supply is bolted on the earth point from the mains filter, and the main loom is fitted.

Knocker assembly and fuse "box" - again, cleaned. checked and reinstalled.

Lock down bar assembly - Free of rust and crap.. Nice and clean. A drop of machine oil in the mechanism and it is installed.

Power supply board installed and it looks alot better than before !

and finally - the bell ! Polished and installed ;

Front Door

The Door was filthy and it had a few scratches in the front skin and the inside of the door was the usual, ugly dirty affair.. I stripped all the parts off the door, washed and cleaned with scotchbrite on the rusted
and corroded areas. I polished some of the parts with the buffer. I tried a new technique in cleaning the skin;

- Wash with windex and an old paintbrush, with the end trimmed so that the brush is "harder"
- Wash again with windex and hit the stubborn dirt with a toothbrush - again, trimmed
- Let it dry
- With a different toothbrush, scrub with Brasso and leave it dry for 5 minutes. Polish with a rag. Will look great
- Here's a trick - scrub the skin GENTLY, in a circular motion, with a small square of green scotchbrite.. WOW.. All those years of scratched and marks - gone forever. Buff the doorskin and here are the results;

HEAD

The head was removed and EVERYTHING stripped out of it. Earth straps were checked and the hardware was washed and or buffed. Its really clean.. (I hate rust, corrosion and dirt)

Here's a picture of the head and the lower cabinet..

Finally, the door and tilt mechanism from inside the machine. The tilt mechanism was rebuilt. All I have to do is double check the ground points and tighten everything up.

Like the FLASH restore - This game is now waiting for parts. Heaps of them ! I deliberately waited until I started this game so I could double check the Electronics and order parts for both games..

Three months later...... :D :D

The parts arrived from PBR. Mainly parts specific for Rocky - Pop Bumper Caps, Targets etc... and
Three flipper kits for the Five flippers that have to be rebuilt.

Under the playfield

What a mess. This machine was kept "on route" by squeezing oil into the coil sleeves and onto the plungers of EVERY coil. Coils were in the wrong place, coil stops were broken... It had A LOT of problems. Yet it
was still playable..

All moving parts were removed. The underside of the playfield is basically bare with the exception of the wiring loom and light sockets. The FILTH was stubborn, the oil was still wet inside the coil sleeves, and coil wires were clinging by a thread of wire. All the base plates were stripped and washed in hot water and nifti. Plungers soaked in Isocol all night, coils were washed and sleeves replaced.. Nearly everything was thrown into the tumbler in disgust  ^.^

Target assemblies were stripped and rebuilt with new Targets.

After everything was cleaned, the bumpers were rebuilt, slings rebuilt and the flippers had NEW kits installed with the correct coils. Switch contacts were cleaned and gapped and the underside is almost done...

Playfield - Topside

Factory /Mylar was left intact and came up well after some attention with Novus 1 and 2. The edges of the mylar were tidied up with "Goof Off". The playfield metal was installed after spending a day in the tumber. There was some wear around the bumpers which I tidied up with a sharpie. It is not seen when the Bumper bodies are in lace and I've used some non adhesive mylar disks so it should be fine..

So as of today, the playfield is almost complete. All that is left is a few rubbers and the plastics. All the posts are new and they have made a big difference. The Apron is done and just needs to be installed.

^^^
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:25:59 PM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Gottlieb Rocky Restore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »
Beautifully documented as always Nino!

All this Gottlieb love around - aint it grand?!?!?!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »

without saying names ,  this pins  was fully rebuilt before  I got  from its old owner
yes it did work  but not to the standard it deserved.  we spent close to  50 hours on the body before it went to Nino
not one edge connnected properly   all had to be drilled screwed and re painted .   hours work went into it
lucky we dont count the hours we waited for things to settle.  and now poor Nino  got it and he has spent  not hours   but bloody weeks of work on it. I am sure it will be as good if not batter than the RS  he did for me.   this will never be sold and  will sit downstairs in my personal collection. 

thanks for your greta effort and work  Nino

mark

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »
Looking good boys!

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
Outstanding work Nino! I'm just amazed by every restore you do. Thanks for sharing.

Mark, you must be one happy boy!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »
Couldnt agree more - outstanding work as usual - attention to detail 2nd to none.

Could never own this machine myself - i couldnt bear to look at SLY all the time

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:37 PM »
I get sick or repeating these words over and over again on Nino's restores... <.>

BLOODY nice work mate !

Can't wait to play it...  *)* *)* *)*
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:05:10 PM »

Thanks for the kind words people  ^^^

most of you should know by know - its not "work", it's "fun". I get just as much enjoyment and satisfaction from doing the work, as Mark and family will get when playing it.

If Mark sends me some globes and rubbers before he goes, it will be finished by the time he returns.. :D

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
Here's an update from last night ;

The upper playfield is complete other that two ball guide clips. One was missing and the other was broken. I've used some oversized rubbers until the correct ones arrive. Here's a couple of pictures...

Cosmetically, the playfield is done, and it is great to see it it nearing completion. I have to polish up a set of 27 inch legs and remove the 28 1/2 inch legs...

What's left to do ?

The power supply has been rebuilt and will be installed
The CPU board is corrosion free and I might install a board mounted battery
All the other boards are fine

So the boards will be installed and the mandatory system 80 ground mods will have to be done. Hopefully, it will be completed by the weekend.. I'm looking forward to playing it  #.#

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:27:42 PM by Strangeways »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »
Great result Nino ^^^

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »

hey is that my CV in the background....

and Nino   just wait till I give you my next baby ....

the things I can find in USA .........   you will be working for me full time   soon enough ...

on a side note  I cant wait to get Rocky home.   never to be seen again.  will sit next to rolling stones and the rest

once I get them home I will take a few picture

should  have a games room sorted soon

mark

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

hey is that my CV in the background....

and Nino   just wait till I give you my next baby ....

the things I can find in USA .........   you will be working for me full time   soon enough ...

on a side note  I cant wait to get Rocky home.   never to be seen again.  will sit next to rolling stones and the rest

once I get them home I will take a few picture

should  have a games room sorted soon

mark

That's your CV in the background in the latest pictures. Mine is in the background of the earlier pictures.

I spend a few hours on the legs last night.. Just wait until you see how they came up !

:D

Hmmm... What are you bringing back from the States ???

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »
Last Night's Work...

"It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it..."

Time to clean and polish the correct 27 inch chrome legs. Most legs have some sort of corrosion, rust or scratching, but for this game, I picked out the best chrome legs I could find. But they still had issues. Not to worry, with a bit of work they will do the job. As long as they are straight, and don't have ridiculous amounts of corrosion, then the amount of time spend on them will dictate the finished product. They are all a little "dull" and two of them (rear) have the leg levellers still intact. One leg has evidence of a previous attempt at removing the leg leveller. Rather than remove the leg leveller, the bottom was cut off with a hacksaw.

I'll create thread in the "Tips" section just for the legs as well..

There are a couple of techniques I use to clean up legs. The first task is to remove the leg levellers. I have started with a leg with a leg leveller "rusted" in the thread of a leg. The failed previous attempt resulted in the bottom of the leg leveller being sawn off. The thread on the leg leveller looks like it was chewed by a Dinosaur.  :lol

Leg Leveller removal

The first step is to grab some clamps and secure the leg on the workbench;

The second thing to do is clean the thread with a wire brush
With the correct spanner, loosen the nut almost towards the end of the thread, away from the castor. You may need to squirt oil along the thread to make things easier. The nut is a 14mm. I screw on a 17mm nut on the end of the thread and then by using a 14mm and 17mm spanner, I tighten them against each other, like this (sorry about the Flash);

Now grab a 17mm socket and ratchet and start to loosen the nut... Like magic, the entire leg leveller starts to move. No matter how stubborn, it will eventually move. Sometime you need to "tap" it with a hammer (gentle persuasion)..

After a couple of minutes - Out comes the thread...

... and all that has to be done is to remove the 17mm nut and discard the rest of it in the bin..

Rust Removal

Here's a challenge... Our American friends use a product with great results - "Lightening Rust Remover".. They buy it by the gallon, and soak the entire legs in a container overnight. The legs turn out almost new the next morning. I've never found the product here in Australia, however, the "lightening" product range do have some industry standard abrasive cleaners in the Bunnings shelves...

I use "Ranex" products - available at Bunnings and very cheap. The other products you need are Windex, water (I use grey water), a toothbrush that has been trimmed to make the "brush" harder, some rags, gloves and EYE PROTECTION... Don't skimp on the eye protection... in fact, if you don't have a pair of safety glasses, then don't try this AT ALL. If you don't believe me, then buy the Ranex Rust Remover and drop some on your hand... OUCH... That could be your eye...

Below is a picture of a fairly good leg. It does have surface rust on it. You can feel it if you run your hand along the surface. To the left in the Ranex and in the background are my safely goggles.

I've set the side of the leg on a flat surface and gently poured the Rust Remover on the leg and used the brush to spread out the chemical along the length of the leg. No need to work it in.. just spread it equally. About a capful will do one side of a leg. Wait 5 - 10 minutes, the chemical reacts with the rust and turns a cloudy white.

Put your safety glasses on.

Check that you have your safety glasses on.

With the toothbrush, work the area in a circular motion... The chemical removes the rust as if it is mud on the floor. VERY easy to remove. The bruch MAY pick up the "holes" left by the brush and "flick" on your hands, clothes or face. Work the chemical in - Don't wipe it off.. No need to - yet. For stubborn rust, use another capful and wait another 10 minutes.. Scrub again... Then use an old rag and wipe it clean.

Do the same for the other side of the leg.

For the inside of the leg, you can use the same method. Since it is not seen, I usually pour the chemical into the "channel" of the leg, and then work it into the rust with the toothbrush.. You can use a scotchbrite pad here - it is not seen and is usually "dull" anyway...

Here's a picture of the chemical at work on the left hand side of the leg. I have not worked it in at all - just spread the chemical out on the top half of the leg and left it for 10 minutes...

Closeup of the area..

After finishing the scrubbing, I wipe it with a cloth (later discard the cloth), and then spray it with windex and wash it straight away in a bucket of water and an old bucket... Finally, dip it into another bucket of clean water. Hand dry it with a cloth.

Polishing

Two choices - Buffer wheel or by hand. I use Brasso and do it by hand... The buffer can be used for more stubborn polishing, but it can sometimes be a bit dangerous to handle a large leg on a buffing wheel.

Polish the new legbolts and install new leg levellers, and it should look like this ;

I STARTED the legs at 6:00 PM and FINISHED around 10:00 PM... About an hour per leg...

:D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:29:54 PM by Strangeways »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »
WOW! those legs look great Nino

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
WOW! those legs look great Nino

OK, his legs are OK I guess, but get a room if you're gonna start that sort of thing!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”