Author Topic: Would Anyone Buy A Retro Looking New Pinball Machine?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Would Anyone Buy A Retro Looking New Pinball Machine?
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
That is what I was thinking.  The parts aren't really any different to what is available today meaning minimal R&D on new toys and less cost overall you'd think.

This is exactly where the wheels have fallen off in the recent past with certain 'rights holders' putting the kybosh on any new concept or machine using 'off the shelf' (insert patented) parts. I was certainly told, in no uncertain terms, not to even dream about using flipper asemblies, drop targets etc etc etc. by one 'rights holder' because if I did I would never get to sell even one machine!

I believe this situation is far more relaxed recently.

I suspect most patents will be expired now, or close - generally 20 years, so for example, flipper assemblies similar to Williams system 11 games must have been designed in the mid-80's, and probably even WPC later will be close to 20 years old too. P2K has a time to run though. We used assemblies on Coconut Island from system 11 age where they were Williams, and used Data East and other manufacturers where possible for targets etc.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”