Author Topic: Pinball Demand 60s, 70s & 80s Pinballs  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
Re: Pinball Demand 60s, 70s & 80s Pinballs
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
Dean - You have tapped straight into "my dream" of importing older pins and retiring on them - Then I would not have to do "real work" ever again !

Most of the collectors my age want older games, and I cannot keep up with the ever growing list of people that ask me to source a game and restore it for them. Personally, I feel this is a niche market and one of these days - I'd like to take "the plunge" into that area.

I think DMDs will always be the mainstay, but the demand for good conditioned 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s machines are at an "all time high". Proof of this was the Child's Amusements gamble on the initial 60's container and the following 70's and 80's container. They all needed work, but most SHOULD be restored in time. To me - They were mini goldmine and yes - I did "get into" Mark's ear about older machines - and I continue to do so. In fact, as long as the machines are imported into Australia via any means, I'll be VERY happy.

From a Business perspective, a 40 Ft Container costs the same to ship whether it is full of diamonds or feathers. The return on investment is justified on DMDs, but it would be a risk on project machines. That's why project machines, even fully working machines from this era may not be cost effective - especially if you have overheads and you need to spend $$$ getting the machines going..

A container of older PROJECT games would be unlikely - unless a private buyer purchases them.
A container of working older games is more likely

The best scenario is that one of the importers locates older games, and bundles them in with some DMDs in the same consignment.

Great thread BTW...  ^^^

I don't think it would be profitable for a importer to bring in a container of 1950's-70 machines
its all great that these games are wanted but are you happy to pay for them?
( because lets face it  if the importer is not making a profit  (even a small one)  then why would they
bring them in?????

following all the forums over the years on what these (older) pins are worth
there's a big difference between  what the importer/dealer thinks and what the buyer and again what hobbyist thinks they are worth

everyone cracks a fat over Devils Dare, Medusa, Mars God of War etc.
but what are they worth

how do you want them? working or project

what's the $$$ value between working -as is, shopped and a project machine

most projects that I have seen go for around $400.00 -550.

then there's the  "as is Machines"  the dealer wants 1000.00 - 1200 (maybe more)
(yet a lot of guys want it for 800.00 because to quote those guys ("its not worth more than $800.")
if shopping a (DMD) machine costs a dealer $500. in time and parts (and most dealers do allow that amount)
how much would it  cost a dealer to shop a EM/SS
( and according to you Nino, to do a EM/SS properly around 50-60 hours)

so for Guys Like Dean, Nino, Tony and Gavin
who can all do there own work on these games  if a dealer buys a container of "working" games
that still need to be "shopped"  and wants 1000-1200.00 "as is" before shopping them
what are they worth?

keep in mind the guys l just mentioned are hobbyists  not the run of the mill buyer like myself

so
 A.1 x Devils Dare  project  whats it worth???  $0.00
B. 1 x Devils Dare  is complete   straight out of the container what's it worth???  $0.00
C. 1 x Devils Dare  shopped /fully working  what's it worth???  $0.00

all three have a back glass   roughly 8/10
body is a 8.5/10

A. has no boards
B. has all boards maybe they work maybe they don't 
C. all boards working and tested

so what are they worth to you
and what would/should a dealer expect to price them as, ( only asking for opinions  )

I've seen a few HH for sale over the last year
average 2,500 to 3,200 working

I know Nino wouldn't pay that (and I'm guessing you guys (hobbyist) are the same)
because as he says "he can fix them myself" so what's a non working but complete one worth?

sorry for all the questions but you see I can understand the pricing/worth of DMD's
but the value of EM's/SS  just eludes me I look at some of these older games and think
"its worth this amount" and it either sells for  twice or half of my best guess, so i have no idea

My point I guess is I don't see why a dealer would risk importing a container of older pins
either as mixed or all "working"

**** PLEASE NOTE BUYERS (like myself)
Gavin, Nino,illawarra_steelers and Dean are Hobbyists   unlike you and I (we buy the FINISHED machines... Big $$$ difference)
so when the hobbyists say something is worth $xxxx amount to them  that's because they source the parts and they put in 50+ hours of UNPAID WORK) so don't go down to a dealer and expect to get a fully working
and fully shopped "Mars God of War" or "Black Knight" for between $400 -1000.00 
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia