Author Topic: Bally Dr Who High End Restoration  (Read 21459 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Dr Who High End Restoration
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »
A lot of progress has been made, but updates need to be done quicker I think !

The backbox plate is cleaned and polished. All the nuts are removed so that the polishing is easier. I just use Autosol and buff with a rag.

The boards are cleaned and placed into position so I can setup the cabling correctly. The loom was cleaned in the Ultrasonic cleaner previously and looks brand new. I use new cable clamps as it is quicker and cheaper than cleaning the old clamps. I re use the old clamps (once cleaned) in reconditioning jobs.

The lamp sockets are replaced throughout the game as well as the sockets mounted on plastics.

Some serious time is devoted to the Time Expander assembly. Given this assembly is difficult to remove and service, I replace almost everything - optos, coils and lamp sockets.

Particular attention is devoted to the opto bank assembly. Often SMASHED out of shape, with LEDs hanging on by a thread.. I had to wait until the opto board set was re-run as I don't want to pull apart this assembly just for a faulty opto ! Just replace the board. At this level of resto, it is better to replace than repair.

Cleaning the individual switches - These are not available at this time, so the best way of cleaning is to mount them in a drill, and use Novus 3, followed by Novus 2 - on a slow setting. Sometimes, a quick spin with Red Scotchbrite will even out the scratches and stubborn dirt.

They probably look better than new !

New Opto boards installed, and assembly re-assembled. I did have to straighten up the black plastic as it had copped a pounding and was causing issues. The springs were replaced.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia