Author Topic: USA Travel Thread - The Bert and Wotto show begins - for anyone interested.....  (Read 12834 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
glad you guys made it to lalaland.LA.we didn't here from you yesterday and i was concerned that something bad had happened to you in NY. @.@
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I enjoyed the pictorial NYC leg of the trip, and I don't think I want to go there now ! I don't think the travel brochures quite cover the city as well as yourself and Kayla. Although I still want to go to MSG, but I think it might not be worth the trouble (literally).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
All I have time to say is that this worked and we played it.
BERT had the honour of being the 1st Aussie in history to do so.
I am sure some of you will work out what machine this is.

MASSIVE day ahead after a HUGE night at the most INCREDIBLE home we have EVER been invited into - let me just say Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne have nothing compared to where we went last night

Will try me best to get some info up late tonight but we got home after midnight last night and MAY be the same again tonight.
DW Drums rule !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I don't know but guessing wizard blocks, what a absolutely incredible games room / bar

Sounds like the best part of the trip so far, incredible room for a pinkie or more

Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:42:02 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
room for a pinkie or more

Dam auto correct
Pinnie not pinkie
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Its about time the Vatican and the Pope got a few Pin2000's. lol  %.%
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
That's a nice shot. Looks more like a Bordello place - now, where are those ladies dressed in lingerie gone...

What's Wizard Blocks like to play?
SC.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Swinks - you think THAT was a nice room - just prepare yourself for the rest of the joint - ready ...................

I have no idea how to start to portray the night and day that we have just had......

Firstly let me say that I have absolute permission from these GREAT guys to post any image I want to on our forums, I would NEVER do that without their personal OK to do so.

I had organised to come to a collectors 'home' in Newport LA before we left, he and I had thrown numerous emails back and forth and he had asked if on our night at his home if we would enjoy meeting some local SO-CAL pinballers, Clearly I said YEP, thinking that around a dozen or so would be there.

There was 70++ !

Ok - this gentleman , and I mean that SO literally , was THE nicest and most generous person that I have EVER had the pleasure of meeting - and BOY does he have a GREAT place and a FANTASTIC 'arcade' with unbelievable games.

His name is Steve - and here we are with him , and our pizza utensils ( more on that later )

We entered the private estate where he lives, parked the rental ( a nice VW Passat with the WORST navigator EVER built in - no not Bert , the inboard navman )......and had we not already been blown away by the house(s) in the area and Steves place - we entered into this....

Looking back at the stairs you will see the entrance to his 'theatre' - and I MEAN 'theatre - more on that later too

Please note the effort already gone to on the theatre entry

The lower level of this section of the home is one MASSIVE party area - Steve had a bloke there cook pizza's all night long for all the guests in his own pizzeria area....

If you were still hungry , walk through to the FULL bar and eat some of the endless food on offer or grab a drink from the bar- nearly anything you want was there, he asked if I wanted Dr Pepper, I said I didnt like that drink and he said ....."I get the original recipe custom made, try it , its different" - and it was much better, and 'on tap'

Arrrrr - what else could Steve have done for the night - he got a young band in to play live, the place had a full set up with 'riser' and stage lighting etc - simply amazing

I bet your impressed and havent even seen a pinball yet !

OK - so firstly - this is the game I had referred to earlier - Wizard Blocks , Steve bought this from Gene Cunningham and had people get the game working and effectively finished ! - He only did this very recently , so out little legged buddy who is trying to steal BERTS thunder as being the first Aussie to play this game can just go back into your silly string spraying shed OK :p

The good news for you all is that I got my arse kicked on this game - by a GIRL - and Bert filmed it - GREAT stuff :rolleyes

He also has Playboy - unfinished obviously - but there to 'bash a ball around on'

Now - here are some shots of the main ( insane ) arcade.
I think ALL of Steves games are prototypes and unique one off, one only made machines - the collection is incredible obviously.

Apart from all the pinball's he has numerous arcade games in the main room as well - Bert and I got a little hooked on the twin 3 screen car racing game.

On top of this Steve just 'opened his home up' - anyone could just wander anywhere - he is an AMAZINGLY generous and trusting guy and a delight to chat with.

We were later taken into the theater ( awaiting professional images to be emailed to me ) - it is indescribably - it is around a 20 seat full blown miniature theater decked out in a classic ( maybe ) 30's style - you HAVE to sit in it to believe it - it has a DBox system which has the seats rumbling and tilting along with the movie ( we watched the crash scene from Flight of the Phoenix - great for a scared flyer like me ! ).

All night we were treated as the guests of honour and met MANY MANY fantastic LA pinballers, some driving 2 hours from San Diego to visit with us on the night - it was absolutely the most magnificent pinball night I have ever experienced overall.

Today we went to Petersens Auto Museum in the centre of LA city - I will try and get some shots up soon but the days are LONG and its 11.30pm already.....WHAT an amazing motor museum - here is a teaser. After this we hit Guitar Centre in Hollywood , a very cool and MASSIVE music store with heaps of rock stars handprints on the entry, had lunch at the classic Mels Diner on Sunset Strip and finished the arvo and night off at Randy Pecks awesome private pinball collection in LA - a MASSIVE couple of days and I will get more info up when I next get a chance.

DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Someone asked about Wizard Blocks ( hows it play )
generally I dont like PIN2000 games as I find them dark up top and hard to 'see'
WB only seemd to have that happening on the right side ( to me anyway )

Of course , we didnt really know what we were doing ( rules-wise ) - but clearly you had to hit the blocks on the screen image - they would drop down and create more blocks etc to hit, there was a tunnel image portrayed at the front of an antual ramp and that was cool , like shooting into a doorway and the ball coming down the plastic ramp after that. I did get multiball a few times ( it has a ramp that lifts and you lock under it ) , but was unsure how I achieved that.

It was great to just be able to play the game
The animations I thought were very well done and humourous at times

Hope thats an OK description for a rush job   ^^^
DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
A little more before we crash out.

For the muso's amongst us - Guitar Centre on Hollywood is an incredible store and it has had a lot of major artists create a 'Rock Walk' of thier handprints on the entry to the store - here is me with a couple of my faves

DRUMS ANYONE ?

GUITAR ANYONE - just ONE corner of the store

Hahahahahahaha - how appropriate in the drum store !

Bert wanted one
Said it was cheap

And across the street

And a few more shots of Petersens Auto Museum - Bert used to build cars so I knew he would have an onterest in this place.
I had never been here - it is DEFINITELY worth chscking out and only $12 to get in.

Here I am outside Mels ( Tony T you are gunna LOVE me even more soon ! )

DW Drums rule !

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
I love the look of those 1957 T-Birds.

SC.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Addicted to pins.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Thanks for taking the time to post mate, looks fantastic.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
WOW! That's just bonkers! What a night you guys must have had. Did you have an inkling of what of expect before you rocked up?
Great thread by the way Wotto, I've enjoyed reading each update.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

What a contrast - NYC VS LA = No contest..

I'm speechless - What a remarkable host to open his doors for all to share in his hospitality. This, imho, is enough reason to visit the USA.

I LOVE Eddie's "hand print". I'd love to stare at the guitars for a while. I think that's Steve Vai's frame guitar and Zak k Wylde's Gibson in the window.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia