Author Topic: USA Travel Thread - The Bert and Wotto show begins - for anyone interested.....  (Read 12806 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Awesome read Wotto, thanks for sharing ^^^
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Haha, his party area is bigger than my house!

What a great guy to open up his home like that! And he has a Krull i would love to play that!

Thanks for sharing mate. Awesome read as always.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
what a awesome place, what was the kingpin like to play?

the auto museum looked great as well

some great experiences in 2 short days, things we dream about
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
Damn what an awesome house and by the sounds of things a truly hospitable guy!

I have really enjoyed reading about your travels Wotto. I wouldn't know you from Adam but feel I know a bit more about you and have learned some interesting things simply from reading about your great experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Thanks Wotto your a f**king legend sharing this with us.

What an amazing guy and an amazing house and collection.

Car museum had some sweet rides aswell Skip NY and head straight to LA

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
WOW that is an incredible house and collection.

Peter

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I'm gobsmacked at Steve's house, not to mention his unique arcade collection .  $$( What an awesome night for you guys
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Amazing photos and a top host by all reports but that gives me the " way too much" feeling.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Hi all

I am going to go backwards to move forwards a little as I know there are car and diner enthusiasts on this site so I want to show a little more of yesterday.

Here are some more shots from Petersens Auto Museum.
The place is clearly the best themed auto display I have personally seen, the cars are a mix of collectors cars who have donated them to the museum and the museums own cars.

I wanted to come here to see US vehicles that we wont ever get to see in Oz , and this place is so WELL themed and laid out in a chronological way that we got to see exactly what we expected and a LOT more.

As you will see - this section is like walking down a street with old cafe from this area ( Big Dogs ) and storefronts etc

This was the Worlds fastest car in 1393

A BMW concept vehicle

They also have various actual movie vehicles
OBVIOUS

And from Thelma and Louise

Along with loads of other Hollywood cars.

Now - listen up all you Centuar pinball machine owners and lovers - COULD THIS BABY BE the birth concept idea of your machine?
Introducing the first hybrid car in the USA - The ( you guessed it ) Centuar !

Now - the info board goes on to tell us that the designer LATER went on to design the CENTUAR 2 !
Just saying ......?

OK I trust all our forum car lovers have liked these shots :D

MELS Diner on Sunset is a VERY famous old time diner that has remained as it was since first built.
It has been used in MANY movies and TV shows - this particular MELS has the tables out on the street on Sunset Blvde that you WILL see in heaps of film and TV - the tables can be seen on the left in this first shot. Some of you may already recognise it

Inside is very cool with all the stock standard diner fitout stuff you expect to see.

And they have all little photo boards from films like American Grafitti around the tables - its cool , if you like this style of place.

And my side order of Chilli Cheese Fries - there goes the FARKIN diet !

We had been seeing these MASSIVE images around , and this one was taken from our table at Mels - we found out today why......more on that later.

ANYYYYYYWAAAAAY - back to some pinball action.

So after Mels we headed to the collectors place that Tony and I visited a couple of years back.
Of course , this was always going to be another sensational afternoon of pinballing and lessons in pinball history.
These guys REALLY know their history of each and every game from artwork  to styling changes in era's and gameplay and features - they are EXTREMELY devoted.

The place had changed quite a bit since I was here last and now there are even MORE games
AGAIN I state that I have Randy's full permission to show any images I want to here on our Australian forums.

When we arrived , after an hour + drive on the freeways we were greeted by Steve , who's place we visited the night before , Randy the owner and a guy named Peter Cooley ( white shirt below ) who was a VERY knowledgeable guy in all things pinball and a super nice person as well ( they all are ! )

Here is Bert telling 3 of the wisest pinball guys on the planet exactly what they should look out for when purchasing a Williams FLASH pinball machine....an area he has great expertise in let me tell you.

I guess a lot of you will recall mine and Tony's visit to Randy's a few years back - but here are some more shots from mine and Berts afternoon / night spent here yesterday.

Upstairs is now nearly full of older games - all in complete chronological order - it is really impressive , especially considering some of the titles - now mostly all working.

There isnt much missing from this incredible collection.

Bert on The HERC !

Randy also has a whole load of various mechanical games from rifle shooters to car and bike racers to submarine games etc.
Here is Bert playing one of the old car games.

Here is Bert sweating bullets when he broke it !

Downstairs is mainly all newer DMD type games and some SS titles.
Randy invites you in, gives you a really good tour of the place , describing why different games came about , how he got hold of them etc etc and then he just leaves you alone to play whatever you want in the entire place at your leisure , no pressure at all.

A view from the 'cashiers window' looking out on the arcade

This one is for you Millsy !
It was in outstanding condition

Here we are with our most gracious host Randy in the Diner.

More soon guys - we spent today around Hollywood and down at Santa Monica and I will go and start some info on that.
Apologies to some questions I havent answered as this stuff takes AGES to sort and upload.
Someone asked about 'how was Krull"
I broke it  - LOL LOL LOL LOL - no joke !
DW Drums rule !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
love the woody, 39 fastest car and some of the rods - very cool. Definitely a place I will go one day.

Randy has got one incredible collection, just amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to share, what a trip.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Hey you can see in the Diner shot above that I made Randy a book all about the Australian Pinball Scene - its a photo book with loads of our images from our meets and stuff about us in general, along with that I gave him an SWPL T shirt.

Now on to todays adventure .......

So the navigator on our rental is a dead set dud.
Anyone reading this driven here ?
I have , and always been superbly comfortable with my good navigators - this thing gives you ONE car space notice to turn left or right etc when you need to get across 7 lanes of traffic - yesterday we dead set copped this in about 300 metres - veer right then left, veer right, veer right, stay left , exit right , veer left etc - all this with a ZILLION cars around us doing 100kph and SOMEHOW I nailed ( more like fluked ) it. Its a really bad navigator and we are struggling BUT getting there.

MAYBE we should have gotten a better rental?

SO I went and complained and we got upgraded !

Thats a 2014 yet to be released Audi R10 worth180++ over here.
it is here in Hollywood for ONE reason tonight - read the board behind me

The crowds were already taking thier places streetside at 10am - RDJ and cast arrive at 6.30pm

We headed down to Graumans Chinese Theatre and Bert found someone who he could personally relate to.....

And like pea's in a pod

EARTH to crazy lady - EARTH to crazy lady - your a farkin nutjob !

Bert wanted to get himself a PRINCE Albert while we were here - I told him we had no time for that so we just went in for a look

So he just grabbed some more basic stuff anyway...some papers for his gunja bungers ,

And ......I told him , I TOLD HIM he will struggle to get this through customs

OK - they are cool , I am not
They are black, I am white
They are dead serious for photo , I am smiling like an idiot
They have thier hand signals backwards, I do the peace sign
COULD I have gotten this any more wrong?
There will be no Wotto rockin da house no more I dont think

Note the dudes XXXX T shirt as well

We kept seeing WOZ stuff everywhere - EVERYWHERE
Ceramic topper anyone?

But we wanted more - we wanted a WOZ game on site to play ...........and , on the famous Santa Monica Pier - we found it....I was overcome with joy

Oh - hang on - did I say a WORKING woz game ?
Now theres that QC everyones talking about right there I guess

We found some pinballs in the arcade in good nick

And Braddo's dance machine - BRING IT ON brother , I have been practising !

Some shots off Santa Monica Pier - it is the official end of Route 66 and this is right on the outer edge of the pier

Note the houses along the beach as well

And we are getting ours tomorrow :o

I would love to upload some videos but time is too short - we have to pack and leave for San Diego tomorrow morning where we have a night at Nickel City with the SDO Pinball Club - and they actually DO have a WOZ pinball with the latest code apparently - so more then.

Cheers

Wotto and BERT
DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
DW Drums rule !

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
love the woody, 39 fastest car and some of the rods - very cool.

oh man me too! would looooooove a woody ( yes the wagon on first photo )  %.%
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
love the woody, 39 fastest car and some of the rods - very cool.

oh man me too! would looooooove a woody ( yes the wagon on first photo )  %.%

just realised myself yes the wood panelled car on the first photo  %.%
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:01:49 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
That Terminator 3 Pinny has been banged more times than a hooker on a Friday night. 
Super heavy duty kilometres (USA miles.lol) on it for sure, and it hasn't been cleaned since it was new probably.  &^&
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !