Author Topic: Funhouse Restoration  (Read 5561 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Funhouse Restoration
« on: October 10, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
Time to start my Funhouse restoration.  This will be a long one and will be done the right way.

The machine purchased in 'as is' condition...straight off container.  Overall I've got a good base to start with.  All parts are present and not broken.  Playfield plastics are all there and not broken, just dirty.  Ramps look good, Rudi etc.

Playfield was not mylared at factory (or op route).  Has a lot of ball swirl and ground in dirt.  Bit of wear near outhole and blue pop bumper but not much else.  Clock inserts have risen.  The plan is this playfield will be a bit of a learning experiment for me...I will ME and TC the playfield to see if it removes the ball swirl and I will clear it and attempt to airbrush the touch ups...More for practice than anything.  I am planning on getting a IPB playfield asap.

Cabinet - overall very solid.  No major dings or damage (water etc).  Will decal asap.

Boards - CPU has been replaced at some stage (diff serial numbers) but NO battery damage that I can see anywhere.  Driver board has had repairs done near G.I plug but otherwise OK.  Playfield connectors removed and I booted game to see where I'm at.  Game booted, but died when coin door switches used.  Disconnected connector at CPU board, booted again...died...Test TP's on driver/power board and no 5v....Display was garbled too but these issues can be sorted at a later stage.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Funhouse Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
Playfield removed, cabinet emptied and moved downstairs for decal removal.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »
Look forward to this Marty...

Nice base to start with..  ^^^

You have a fair bit of work in front of ya but once completed i am sure it will be entirely satisfying !

Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 06:20:09 PM »

Will be watching with interest ! Good base to start a resto.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »
Look forward to this Marty...

Nice base to start with..  ^^^

You have a fair bit of work in front of ya but once completed i am sure it will be entirely satisfying !

Thanks Marco!  I enjoy doing this, just tinkering away, chasing parts etc...All good.  Just need to watch the budget on this one and try not to blow out like my BH!  Problem is there is lots of repo parts available for a FH...So I need to be good and reuse / recycle as much as I can, but without affecting the end product.

The playfield swap will be a bit daunting....But hey, gotta do it at least once!

Will be watching with interest ! Good base to start a resto.

Thanks Nino....I would imaging yours isn't far behind.  You would finish your a lot quicker than mine I think!...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »

Thanks Nino....I would imaging yours isn't far behind.  You would finish your a lot quicker than mine I think!...
[/quote]

Actually - mine is a while off. I'll wait until yours in finished !

I plan on a complete restoration - decals, clearcoated playfield and like you - I will need to watch my budget ! I think removing the mylar will be daunting for me. Anyway - keep your updates coming !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »
Looks like fun - I will be interested to see how the original playfield comes up; it might end up pretty good.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »
OK, about 8.5 hours into the playfield today.  Have stripped it completely topside.  All labelled, photographed etc.

I've gone over with the M.E and novus.  The playfield is not too bad...The ball swirl is most noticeable on the clock and its worst on the white there.  I havn't gone over it too many times for fear of wearing through.

The top half has very little wear at all.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Basically at this stage, I'll be concentrating on cleaning every screw, post, nut for the short term.  Rudi will need to be rebuilt (as they all do).
I will also rebuild all 4 flipper assemblies, slings, kickers etc...Ramps - steps on is VGC the other has broken at entrance so I'll probably see if either RTBB or PSP has one.

I don't think its been ever stripped.  Everything seems 100% original and thankfully no hacks that I can see on playfield loom.

I'll tackle the boards in between as well.

When dismantling - the only problem I struck was the divertor assembly.  The allen key nut had rusted and when I tried to undo just stripped the inside.  I had to cut it with the dremmel but they are available so I can replace.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
Marty you're a man possessed! Mate know holding back here I see and no wasting time either. Look slike you have your work cut out but from past history ie BH I can already see the end result in my head. Look forward to the nest installment.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
Hehe, thanks Rob.  When I picked it up Damien joked saying I'd probably have it fully stripped Friday night....I was a little behind scheduel...

Removing a playfield is 10 min of work.  Stripping - took a while on this one.  Lots of bolt through posts and labelling and photographing takes a while.

Now comes the slow parts - cleaning all the parts!

Offline bwodie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 08:18:05 PM »
hey mate, have you considered buying one of the new fh repros coming from ipb?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
hey mate, have you considered buying one of the new fh repros coming from ipb?

Yep, definately.  I'm still planning to clear this one, more just for practice for myself and my spraypainter...Didn't want to ruin a playfield that couldn't be replaced.  I will try to get this one as good as I can in the meantime.

Little bit more progress tonight.  Old battery holder removed from CPU...All caps removed from driver board.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Best of luck and enjoy the process Marty - you'll be loving this game when it's done, one of the fav's in my collection. If you need anything post or PM, I have some spares of some odds and sods (plastics mainly). I did an IPB playfield swap and am sure glad I did - speeds up the ball travel over the standard mylared field quite a bit, and the game plays so much better.

And you might want to consider Pinnies4me Funhouse Ramp Anti-jump Condom   (C)   TM   Patent (not) Pending -
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=103.0

I will also rebuild all 4 flipper assemblies,

Looks like you got the special special proto - my poor game only has three flippers.. .. ..  !!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »
I was waiting for someone to pickup on that..

Check your machine....I think you'll find a 4th flipper assembly somewhere under the playfield...(but without a flipper bat attached to it)!