Author Topic: Spooky Pinball 1st Pin - Pinball Zombies From Beyond The Grave  (Read 77107 times)

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Spooky Pinball - are going to be making pinballs
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »
I like what I hear so far, especially the "no limited" and "no money up front". This is where the some of the other players have got it wrong imo. One pinball that plays the same and wait until it is released before paying any money.

Looks like they are going about it the right way, small production runs, controlling costs. A custom theme is something that the hobby has been screaming for.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
I like what I hear so far, especially the "no limited" and "no money up front". This is where the some of the other players have got it wrong imo. One pinball that plays the same and wait until it is released before paying any money.

Looks like they are going about it the right way, small production runs, controlling costs. A custom theme is something that the hobby has been screaming for.

I agree I'm hoping its successful and I'd better start saving I like what I'm hearing :-)

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »
Thread cleaned up. Keep the thread "on topic". This is a Spooky Pinball thread.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »

I agree I'm hoping its successful and I'd better start saving I like what I'm hearing :-)

Peter

Couldn't agree more . . .  The sooner the better  $%$
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
Great news, good to see some more "little guys" taking on the big boy, competition can only mean good things for pinball

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Posted by: ktm450
Insert Quote
Great news, good to see some more "little guys" taking on the big boy, competition can only mean good things for pinball

+1

I recall seeing the pinballnews link yesterday posted by Swinks (in another thread) as a reminder of how big 2012 was for pinball - Wow, I can't believe there's another player to add to the mix so this year looks like it could be bigger again.

Early days but there are some really good ideas and definitely will give even more choice to pinball. Good to see another pinball enthusiast taking the plunge!
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
I just posted this video for the Zombie Adventureland but the first few minutes detail the Ben Hecks board which Charlie I think will be using for his spooky pin
&feature=player_embedded
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
Ok a bit more information in which corrects some of what I stated previously.

- Charlie worked for a large print company, so did not own but worked there for the last 20 years in which his last day was the end of Jan as he is now full time doing Spooky Pinball so he is serious.
- Out of interest the company doing the playfields is still doing them and interestingly does 200 completed playfields in 4 days so expect to see some machines coming soon.
- He has hired a suite close to home to start his boutique pinball company.
- Flipper Fidelity is a partner supplying the sound system
- Pinball Life is a partner supplying pinball hardware
- Ben Heck is the official supplier of the games board set
- The official crew for Spooky Pinball is: Charlie and family of course, Dennis Nordman, Blue Shirt, and JPop (not sure on the arrangement but he is going to be a key team member, but still has to finish Zombie Adventure Land and Magic Girl) I think Brian Kelly is also going to be part of the team as well and Ben Heck I think as well.

These are some of his quotes from his podcast which gives a good intro of his plans in the first 6 minutes:
"will be building custom and product machines"
"no kick starter page, no deposits, no pre-orders, no boasting"
"going to produce a game that is great, plays well at a great price"
"will have originality and art of the 80's and 90's game play (deep rule set)"
"art will be done by a crazy guy that loves spooky but is not in the pinball industry"
"no re-inventing pinball but it it style and personality"
"ramps, metal fab, playfields, cabinet all done locally"
"programming and rules by new talent"
"but also will make pins for others like Ben Hecks Ghost Squad"

Attached are a few images from his facebook page showing his logo, factory, signing of Brian Kelly (and think that is Blue Shirt next to him) and a screen shot from his website of a poll he was running for a particular spooky theme so it may give us a defined direction and what was considered but is going for the people's choice.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
and a couple more

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
I agree Retro, I am keen as well.

Got a short email back from Charlie - he is concentrating on making a good pin first and then will worry about the 240v 50hz power issue. But he is making the games to be RHOS compliant for overseas shipping which is good.

We actually don't need RoHS compliance for Australia (well, not yet anyway). That's a European thing and is actually proving to be a lot of WANK!

I think the 220V issue will not be a problem at all - I doubt they would go down the route of "protecting" the game boards by locking them to 50Hz - that's pretty dumb (and especially dumb of Stern IMO) especially seeing how a 12yo electronics enthusiast can get around this.

I would buy this machine based on what I have seen already......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
I am with you, sounds interesting and I will be watching hoping to get one if cool.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
Yep, good luck to them and I will be very interested to see what they end up with at what price!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:37 PM »
Very tempting indeed.

Peter

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
Isnt it funny..

We know nothing about this pin except its zombie based... Charlie rejects the selling platforms of the now 2 big suppliers..JJP and Stern and he just wants no frills pure pinball  80's/90's style.

Given this minimum information it has our absolute attention.. why??.. Because it is what it should be.. cool theme and a promise of fun.

I have a couple of contacts in US who are actively involved in pinball production.. or are good friends with the powers that be. Im hoping they have some sort of input here.. would be cool to have a man on the inside!

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »
Isnt it funny..

We know nothing about this pin except its zombie based... Charlie rejects the selling platforms of the now 2 big suppliers..JJP and Stern and he just wants no frills pure pinball  80's/90's style.

Given this minimum information it has our absolute attention.. why??.. Because it is what it should be.. cool theme and a promise of fun.

I have a couple of contacts in US who are actively involved in pinball production.. or are good friends with the powers that be. Im hoping they have some sort of input here.. would be cool to have a man on the inside!

+1, agree with what you are saying.

For me I am not trying to hype things up, or make t bigger than what it is. But for the last year I have enjoyed his podcasts, and we have sent a few emails back and forth and he is just so passionate about horror and pinball which is refreshing and for him to jump in the deep end and go for it, you gotta respect that.

It would be great to have a insider, though he did say he is going to be quite open about his build. He needs the money so sure we will see something in the near future.

for pinball t-shirts