Author Topic: Who has the nicest balls ?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Who has the nicest balls ?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »
thankyou gentlemen for sharing your experiences about your balls.

it seems that the best way to go, is to buy locally.  shipping from the USA is a killer.

and i learnt about carbon steel versus chrome, and its good to take into consideration what magnets etc your pinball machine has so u buy the right balls.

bling is good, but hey have to be the right bling. lesson learnt here !

last but not least, dont forget, check your balls often men !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Ball Baron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 06:14:52 AM »
 G'day all!  Having just shipped my first order to Australia last week, I'm sure that once received, the buyer will back my claims. My Standard pinball is a solid chrome ball with a superior shine and is bettered only by my Ninja ball which will be available for purchase in 2 weeks (Mid December).  I sell on my website www.ballbaron.com and also, eBay and Amzon. My domestic sales can be handled on all three platforms but for export ease and lowest shipping cost to the buyers, I use ebay's Global Shipping Program and can ship up to 50 lbs (approx 24 kilos) at a time. I carry a Carbon ball as well which will have no magnetic memory.
The production of all my stock is done in Bearing manufacturing plants and the quality of the steel is strictly regulated. All Chrome balls are AISI 52100 Chrome and the Carbon is AISI 1095. The balls are within 1/10,000 inch variation and the weight is a constant 2.8 ounces or 80 grams. The Chrome balls have a Rockwell hardness of +60 and the Carbons are a little less. I have put a rare earth magnet on the carbon ball and let it set for 72 hours. After removing the magnet, I could not attract a small paper clip with the ball. The Chrome balls, however are a different story. There isn't a Chrome ball made that does no have magnetic memory characteristics.  It's the nature of the metal. The upside is that they can be given a perfect mirror finish. As for the Carbon, they do not shine up as well because the nickel content in the steel is lower, but again - the upside is no residual magnetism. I worked in quality control at Hoover Precision Products outside of Atlanta Georgia USA for five years and make these statements with the backing of that experience. If you think any of this is 'sus' then please double check anything I've said. I would like to be a source for information as well as another place you can go to get a premium ball at the best price possible considering international shipping costs and import fees. for any feedback you'd like to confirm with others in the pinball family, check out pinside.com which is a US based forum. Look for "Samurai ball" 'G-10 ball" or "Ninja ball"
I hope I haven't overstepped any boundries with this post, I'm just trying to put information you would consider fair dinkum.  Thanks!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
RTBB will be stocking the range of balls from Ball Baron. They will be here in Australia early next week.

Thanks for the technical post, David - We look forward to stocking the balls and the feedback from collectors !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
Chrome balls are now in stock. Standard Carbon and High polished chrome (Ninja) will be here in 2 weeks.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
Chrome polished balls - selling fast
Carbon balls - should be here this week
Ninja High Polished Chrome Balls - will be here hopefully next week.

That's 900 balls. Hopefully we won't run out again !

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
Perfect timing!

Christmas is a perfect time to change my balls.

Chasing some carbons and some ninjas.

Offline Ball Baron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • USA
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 04:16:05 AM »
Chrome balls can magnetise very quickly - i accidently put them in my TOM and had trough issues within a couple of days (prob 15 games) where they magnetised and stuck together.

Bling do make a carbon steel ball as well i though - just not quite as 'mirror' finish
I've started a thread on here dealing with this issue. I'll be doing some Statistical Process Control work with volunteers later this year. Different electro magnetic machine features and how they effect the chrome and carbon balls ove specific timelines of game play.
Also starting a blog on my website, where these issues can be more readily addressed.
As for Carbon balls - they are softer steeland will just not polish up the way a chrome ball will because of the difference in nickel content. Chrome balls can also be heat treated to a higher Rockwell hardness (60+). Don't know if you knew this or not - just chucking it out there for general consumption.

Hope you'll join in.
Cheers
ballbaron.com