Author Topic: Installation Guide - Underplayfield Slide rails Stern - How to install - V Easy  (Read 6514 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
As alot of people know, STERN has dropped the Underplayfield Slide Rails on its PRO models and has left 2 x very basic peg supports in the slide rails place.
I can tell you from experience, that these pegs are next to useless, and they do not allow you to fully slide the playfield out to a position that allows you to safely work on the machine without risking damage to yourself or the underside of the playfield and its componenets.

The answer is to buy a set of Underplayfield Slide Rails from your local Stern dealer, or AMD in Sydney.
The cost of the slide rails are $66 incl gst for the pair (2x) slide rails. Apart from that, u will need the appropriate screws to hold the slide rails in place (2 x screws will be required per slide rail, with the bottom end of the rails to be screwed into the wooden playfield, therefore requiring 4 x screws in total). Thats 4 x screws total for the rail end that will be the furthest from the apron end.

Then, u can chose to screw the other apron end of the slide rail to the playfield, or you can go with a threaded very thin bolt, with each end of the slide rails closest to the apron end, requiring 1 x bolt each , or 1 x screw each, requiring a total of 2.

I will take photos of this and add to the thread shortly.

Installing these rails is so very simple, we are talking a 30 minute job tops. It took me apx 30 minutes each machine, to do my X Men Pro and my AC/DC Pro.

Step 1.

*Remove playfield glass n lockdown bar. Remove all balls. Remove the apron fully, which means removing 2 x nuts n washers only to completely take the apron off, very easy.
*Raise playfield up high against backglass. Remove the 2 x black rubber shooter tip rubbers from the top of each long silver metal peg that is under the playfield, apron end. These need to be removed otherwise the under playfield slide rails will not fit when you go to fit them.

Step 2.

You can now either screw the slide rail in to the wood under the apron end of the playfield, or go with the 2 x pre=drilled holes that Stern has already done, and if you use these screw holes, u will need to use 2 x very thin threaded bolts to secure that end of the playfield slide rail. If the screws n bits n pieces come with the 2 x slide rails, go with the thin threaded bolt, if they dont come with the attaching hardware go with a screw for this end.
(I recieved the srew/bolt hardware from a set I purchased thru a member/Pinball Life, but the set I purchased from AMD did not have the attaching hardware included).

Step 3.

Once the first end of the slide rail is attached to the playfield under the apron end, it is a simple matter of attaching the other end of the slide rail to the playfield with 2 x screws. Commonsense will dictate where to fix that end, just away from touching any hardware or wiring or magnets etc. Each machine is different under the playfield for the end that will be affixed to the playfield half way along. Just make sure both ends get attached in a similar position.

NOTE - YOU MUST USE screws no longer than 12 millimetres, otherwise u will go all the way thru the playfield and cause damage. Screws no longer than 12mm are perfect and I have pictured which screws to buy. I purchased these thru Masters Hardware for $3.50 for the entire packet.
You can use these at both ends of the playfield slide rails if the rails do not come with any fixing hardware.

Check the photos below.

You will notice in the first photo, there is a predrilled hole directly above the metal peg with the black shooter tip on the end.
It is this predrilled hole that has a T-Nut installed which will allow the fine threaded bolt to screw into which will hold the first slide rail end. If that predrilled hole does not have any t-nut installed, dont worry, just use the screws I have included a picture of instead. Fixing the rail via the threaded bolt or the screw, will give the same result.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Because the forum doesnt allow pictures larger than 2.0KB, its hard to get the photos larger, but u shld be able to work out how to install these slide rails very very easy with the info I have provided.
I will try n upload a small video also to youtube, and will then add the link here as well.

So if u have a PRO STERN machine, and u do not have the proper slide rails fitted, just spend the $66 to buy the set, apx $12 for postage from AMD, and away you go.

Also, something I am going to do when my next slide rail parts order arrives, is I was going to take the set of slide rails to a powder-coating shop and get the sets powdercoated.
1 x set done in bright red to suit AC/DC and 1 x set done in bright blue or yellow for X Men Pro.
For Avengers, I was thinking bright green powdercoating to match the Hulk. I was quoted only $30 to powdercoat a set, and less for multiple sets.

If u already have the slide rails installed on your Premium or LE models, or if u have done your Pro model already, u could quite easily take them off without any hassle whatsoever and get the bling powdercoating done in the colour of your choice. It will just add extra colour/bling to your machine when you take the glass off and raise the bonnet so to speak.
I havent seen anyone powdercoat slide rails yet, so your machine will definately stick out from the crowd and look extra great without any major cost at all.

Anyway, hope this thread has helped anyone wanting to add under playfield slide rails, feel happy to ask any questions or send a PM, cause its sooo easy, u can now install your own slide rails.  ^^^

Brett
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:57:44 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
 !@# !@#  did this help anyone  !@# !@#  any need for a video or is it easy enough to understand...... !@#

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
Haven't had to use this info Brett as I haven't got a Pro Stern .

Just thought I'd offer up a bit of helpful info to any Stern owners with pins that have these rails ....

Well . You know when you are sliding the playfield back into the cabinet how it hits that "bump" at the back of the support guides ...

Most people tend to go up the side of the machine and grab the back of the playfield and lift it up while pushing in from the front .

With these rails there is no need . Slide the playfield in until it hits the bump . Now from the front grab a hold of both down sections of the slide brackets and push slightly down while pushing in . The playfield will slide in easily . Very handy if you have your pins close together in a lineup .

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Thanks cavey for the info, I'm still yet to buy a set and install in my IM.

It's helped me  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:

Offline Sgtmax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Really need to grab a set of these for my tron pro

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Just re read this post after a long time.

Might have to take some photos of the powder coated slide rails I did for some of my machines.

Wonder if anyone else ever did a slide rail powder coat paint job for a mod as well ??