Author Topic: Applying Decals Wet Method  (Read 2181 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Applying Decals Wet Method
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »
I put this vid in my Getaway Restoration thread http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10289.15 but thought it was worth putting it where it might be found in a search.

There isn't a whole lot of video around of installing decals - particularly wet.  So here is what works for me, hope it is helpful for others.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Applying Decals Wet Method
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »
Great vid, thanks for posting  ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to make this and share with us , Rob .

I, for one, have my 1st redecal project in the queue so this help is invaluable for me .

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline vett

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
I have redecaled 2 machines using dry method and both came up a treat, but it was slowly slowly and very carefully done. i must say the wet method you are using does look easier and if an error is made can be easier fixed. Well done and great job filming for us to see. Cheers

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
as posted in the Possum Getawy Resto thread, great work and thanks for taking the time to film and post  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Dazzat

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
You constantly say Deckle?  But All I see is DECAL prepping %.%

I did my RFM with dry application and it came out fantastic, Never underestimate dirt regardless dry or wet.
Great job on the getaway video!!!
I always have fun when prepping cabinets and Decals... very therapeutic....

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
Ha ha .... I would prefer to use the word 'sticker'! Using deeeeecal is too American for my liking.

I've also done one dry, but just love the flexibility and room for error with wet - it's almost a no risk approach

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to make this and share with us , Rob .

I, for one, have my 1st redecal project in the queue so this help is invaluable for me .

Cheers
Dave

+1, I also have my first redecal coming up, and must admit I am a little nervous about doing it. I'm glad for any tips I can get.
It's people such as yourself who help others achieve things that they might have never had a go at.  ^^^ ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »
Nice job, if you don't have a helper, what I did was remove all the backing sheet and wet the whole decal and the cabinet. Then you can place it and slide it into place.

Just don't go too crazy with the Windex nor push too hard with the squiggy. I figure if you scrape too hard you probably will squeeze out some of the glue as well as detergent. Greg could probably correct me there.

Also when trimming, don't trim right to the edges like I did on my first one. You are forever catching on the decal when moving the game etc. Hasn't posed a problem but I'm always wary of loosening it or tearing it by accident. So trim a mm or two from the edges
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:50:33 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »
Brilliant video and technique - thanks so much.

Have to do my RFM as well (along with a few other things still). Sad thing is, I have to get my vasectomy reversed to get the appropriate helper first. Oh well............

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
Brilliant video and technique - thanks so much.

Have to do my RFM as well (along with a few other things still). Sad thing is, I have to get my vasectomy reversed to get the appropriate helper first. Oh well............
hmmmm could be a problem. Must admit the helper in the video did get the rough end of the stick copping all the Windex fumes in the face  %.% definitely a good supportive wife there  ^^^

Forgot to mention in my last post that the video was excellent and filled with detail. I have read many tips and techniques where important are left out most probably because the author is not used to teaching people etc. I suffer from the same problem at times. This video is great, thanks for sharing
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:03:04 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, Yep great help from the wife. In relation to the comments in the last post, my day job is agricultural extension or pretty much adult education for farmers, so doing pinball tips is easy!

The help i got from the net and forums was invaluable when i started this hobby 4 Years ago or so, so i reckon those of us who have picked up stuff should pass it on if we can. Plus it will be hilarious looking at this in 20 Years time!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
Wow Rob. You've only been into Pinball for 4 years ??? I would have thought way longer judging by the great resto work you are doing
I need more room ! and more $$$