Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionnaire - part 71 - Cursed  (Read 11304 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionnaire - part 71 - Cursed
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »

Scheduled for this Sunday, Michael  ()

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionnaire - part 71 - Cursed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »
1. Earliest pinball memory?
For me it is only roughly a year and a half ago, I thought it would be good to have 'a' pinball to go with my arcade machines. I was never introduced to pinball when i was younger and only played my first pin on 10/09/2011. I only know the date because i filmed it. It was a Twilight Zone at Bumper Action.

2. All time favorite pin? Why?
Tron, for me the theme is great. The sounds, dots and lightshow are very well done and fit the theme perfectly. I love the spinning disc and the challenge of hitting Gem. It has the perfect difficulty level where you just keep wanting 'one' more game. It is probably not the best layout for a pin but the whole package does it for me.

3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
All of them! I can't even go by my machines as i have a Bally, a Williams and a Stern. I do believe that i will end up with more Bally's in my collection (when funds allow) than any other though so Bally it is i guess. I am really looking forward to playing JJP's games though as the look and quality look to be second to none!

4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
Well i own Tron so i have to say that i guess. But Shadow was my first pin and i think it is the best bang for buck DMD out there. The design and flow are great. The magnet ball lock, diverters and the best upper playfield in pinball make it a stand out. If Tron was not around The Shadow would definitely be my favorite.

5. How long have you been collecting?
Since the 20/12/2011! Sorry for the dates again, i just know as i still have the message on my phone from buying my Shadow machine.

6. First game and how did you find it?
Sorry i keep answering these questions in advance! The Shadow was my first pin and i found it on eBay. Out of sheer luck he lived in the same suburb as me and only 5 minutes from my house. I went and saw the machine and it looked good to me. But i got help from TSPP (thanks Jarrod!) by sending photos i took of it to have someone a bit more experienced look over it. I made an offer outside of eBay and he took it. Sorry to all who hate people that take down auctions early!

7. Do you still have it?
Yes! I honestly doubt i will ever sell it. Unless i was getting a better one!

8. What are you currently working on?
Pinball wise nothing, they are running well at the moment. But i recently picked up a Sega Virtua Racing twin driver that i am planning to gut and MAME.

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
Twilight Zone! I have wanted one since the first game i had on it. Funds are holding me back at the moment but i will get one. I actually would have one if Tron did not get rerun by Stern. Getting my favorite pin NIB was an oportunity i did not want to miss.

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
Honestly i think i have paid standard prices for my pins and i have only had 5 in total. If i was going to pick one i guess it would be my Roadshow. But none were bargins.

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
Oscars number 5 Tron LE that he had. In all honesty i did not have the money at the time for it, but it by far is my biggest regret that i did not try harder to get it at the time. In saying that i only just got into pinball and $8000 was and still is alot of money, especially for a first pin! But considering what they go for now.....I doubt i will ever own one. More than happy with my Pro though.

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
This is probably unfair to it but Terminator 3, the only reason i say it is i found it WAY too easy. But i also only had one other pin at the time, so i think in a larger collection it would be much better. I was getting to the end of the game way too often and in a 2 pin lineup it got old fast! I got to the wizard mode and beat it on my second day! By comparison i have got to the wizard mode on Shadow 3 times in 1 and a half years and have still not beat it! Roadshow i have never completed the map of the US and Tron i have also never seen the wizard mode. Fun game but found it a little easy.

13. Describe your collection
Currently i have a Shadow, Roadshow and a Tron. I plan to get a Twilight Zone, Simpsons Pinball Party and a Revenge from Mars. I also want to look at and play a Circus Voltaire, Black Hole, Spirit, Capersville, Fireball, Zaccaria Time Machine and Devil Riders. I do not intend to own all these machines but after much web and youtube research these are the pins that interest me to the point i would like to own them at some point. Funds permitting of course. Oh i best add my partners dream machine of Cactus Canyon and after yesterday Wizard of Oz!

14. Describe your gamesroom
Unfortunately right now it my garage/workshop. I am making plans to bring them inside hopefully in the next 2 months or so. I then will start to make it more of a games room as opposed to a garage. Thinking all black walls, ceiling and curtains at this point. Just to make the games and any art/signs i put up stand out.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
Yes, I have a Sega Virtua Racing cab that i mentioned earlier, plan to put LCD screens in and MAME it. I just want Sega Model 2 and 3 games and the Ridge Racer games on it. I also have a dedicated House of the Dead Shooter cab, a Namco Time Crisis cab that i have now stripped and want to find a CRT cab to put it in. And finally i have 5 Taito Egret 1 cabs, that will be for fighting games and maybe one 60 in 1 board. PCB games that i have currently are Soul Calibur 2, Soul Calibur, Tekken 5, Tekken Tag Tournament, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Dead or Alive, Star Gladiator, Street Fighter EX2, Killer Instinct 2 and Point Blank 2. As you can tell i am into fighting games as that was what started my arcade addiction! In saying that pinball has taken over and i play them more than my arcade machines now.

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?
By the sound of things a couple of years ago people would have answered this question very differently, But going by current trends with Stern, JJP, Skit-B, Spooky and Heighway making machines i think the hobby will still be strong. I don't think it will get huge but pinball is getting more exposure now which i think is great. And hopefully in 10 years i can sit back and enjoy my completed Pinball/Arcade collection. Allowing for funds and the missus permission of course.

Thanks for reading and i hope it did not put anyone to sleep. I do want to say i love this hobby, and i have met quite a few awesome people and hope to meet more! And if anyone wants to come over and have a game or two just let me know.

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »
Good stuff dude. Variety is the spice of life and having arcades is cool too! Glad you finally found pinball though.
Racing games are frickin awesome and would love one myself one day. Post the MAME driving cabinet when you start as I will be watching for it  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
awesome read! thanks!

Offline ghali

• Forum Posts:
  • Kingsbury VIC
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
Wow...Didn't play pinball till late 2011.  I'm glad it found you!

Great read, thank you
VUK you!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Great read - keep trying for wizard mode on Roadshow - its fantastic.  I concentrate more on getting bridge out lights and wheel bonuses than actually completing modes.  also, learning to drop catch on the right flipper from the scoop kickout means you can nail the left ramp a lot easier.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
thanks for sharing, good read
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Racing games are frickin awesome and would love one myself one day. Post the MAME driving cabinet when you start as I will be watching for it  ^^^

I of course wanted a Daytona Twin but they are so expensive. I got the virtua racing cab for $250 with everything in it except the game boards! Now that was a bargain, not a pinball bargain though (that's why it not in my questionnaire). So i just decided to try MAME. I will start a thread when i start on it.

Wow...Didn't play pinball till late 2011.  I'm glad it found you!

Me too, not so much the bank account!  %.%

I have been playing arcade and video games regularly since 1993 but never actually saw a pinball machine to try it. Got there in the end though.

Great read - keep trying for wizard mode on Roadshow - its fantastic.  I concentrate more on getting bridge out lights and wheel bonuses than actually completing modes.  also, learning to drop catch on the right flipper from the scoop kickout means you can nail the left ramp a lot easier.

I focus on multiball and bridge outs more than modes but i will get there, such a great game. So much to do and different ways to play it!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:31:22 PM by Cursed »

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
Thanks Michael for a great read.
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A TZ!
SC.

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
Nice read mate. Always good to see that people can find this hobby late and fall so in love with it and trust me when I say that Michael has done exactly that.

Look forward to a catch up soon.

PS: as stated mate, TSPP before TZ!
.....something witty here

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
Nice one, thanks for sharing.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »
Great write up by a Great Bloke  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:52:55 AM »

Can i ask why? Problematic?

Nice read mate. Always good to see that people can find this hobby late and fall so in love with it and trust me when I say that Michael has done exactly that.

Look forward to a catch up soon.

Thanks Mate! We have to catch up now for me to pickup your Simpsons sketch  ^^^

Which pin will come first depends on what is available when the funds are ready! Still prefer a TZ first though.

Great write up by a Great Bloke  ^^^

Thanks Brett! Your cheque is in the mail *)*

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »

What sort of bias is this! As an owner of both TZ and TSPP, its like comparing chalk and cheese! Love both machines equally, but couldn't say one is "better" than the other. TZ is widebody strategy, with so many thinks to do - magnetic playfield, powerball, pick  up hitchhikers, timed clock shots etc. TSPP is fun with task modes to get to alien invasion, mystery spot and the little upper playfield shots, but not as deep as TZ. For a quick, fun game I go to Sprinfield, for a deep game that I can plot through, I visit Rod. Had one service from Beaky on the TZ - no problems with it in 7 years. TSPP - no worries either.

Follow your heart, both are fun - wouldn't warn you against either. ^^^

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
Simple…It’s boring!
For me, there’s not much flow on both of these titles, which equates to a less inspiring game play. For the amount of money you pay for these titles, i would definitely cross them of your list.
SC.