Author Topic: Playfield Full Protection Product with Photos !  (Read 31955 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
not unless you had some borers.eg.termites
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline ausrhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
That look awesome! Does anyone know how good an alternative it would be to clearcoat? What the benefits of clearcoat be over this product?

If you had a machine that had a little bit of PF damage or imperfection - but not worthy of a the cost of a clearcoat or refurbishment - then I would seriously consider getting one of these for it.  You are not going to continue to damage the PF - and you get a very good medium term solution to protecting the PF.

Looks good . Just one question Do you think any muck and dirt could get under this with lots of plays?

I am sure there will be over time (Pinball dust gets everywhere) - however having the easy option of just lifting the protector and cleaning if it gets thats bad - is all you would have to do.  Its not stuck down - can be replaced - low cost - it feels very very durable.  It is not soft by any means.  I would rather this - then mylar or other stuck down options.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
So it's not actually stuck down?

That was going to be my question, how the hell would you manage to stick down something that big and intricate. By the time I got to the other end I'm sure the holes wouldn't line up because it would be slightly crooked.

How is it held in place then?

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby

That was going to be my question, how the hell would you manage to stick down something that big and intricate. By the time I got to the other end I'm sure the holes wouldn't line up because it would be slightly crooked.

THIS ITEM IS NOT STUCK DOWN

That seems to tbe recurring misconception about this product.  Even though it is thin - it has a considerable weight about it. And also like I said - its not flimsy at all either. I was also initially concerned that it might flop about - but it doesn't.  It is actually rock solid.  The cut was perfect - plenty of room about posts - etc.  There is nothing actually holding down the protector on mine - other then the ramp flaps.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW

THIS ITEM IS NOT STUCK DOWN

That seems to tbe recurring misconception about this product.  Even though it is thin - it has a considerable weight about it. And also like I said - its not flimsy at all either. I was also initially concerned that it might flop about - but it doesn't.  It is actually rock solid.  The cut was perfect - plenty of room about posts - etc.  There is nothing actually holding down the protector on mine - other then the ramp flaps.

Thats how i understood it from the start, that it just sits on top of the pf surface and gravity keeps it there  :D

Interesting idea for sure, having this rather than a clearcoat or mylar  *%* I'm keen to know how it will hold up over time. The only problem i can think of is that the dirt could find its way underneath, but even if it did it would be easy to remove for cleaning!

Anyway it sure does look good when on  ^^^
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:25:58 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
I wonder if it uses a similar principle to the screen protectors for phones. They're not such down either but are firm. Maybe the existing cc or varnish acts similar to glass.

You said they are cut generously for posts, how about pop bumper skirts, will the ball disturb the protector in your opinion? Thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Interesting idea for sure, having this rather than a clearcoat or mylar  *%* I'm keen to know how it will hold up over time. The only problem i can think of is that the dirt could find its way underneath, but even if it did it would be easy to remove for cleaning!

Anyway it sure does look good when on  ^^^

Maybe around the edges like mylar given how generous the "cutlines" are around the major playfield components, but aesthetically it looks as good as a professional clearcoat.  ^^^

Thumbs up from my perspective.

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
I wonder if it uses a similar principle to the screen protectors for phones. They're not such down either but are firm. Maybe the existing cc or varnish acts similar to glass.

You said they are cut generously for posts, how about pop bumper skirts, will the ball disturb the protector in your opinion? Thanks

There is no - like - static hold in this item at all - apart from the weight - which is about 1.1kg for the whole item -  it is the cut that really holds it - it just stays in one place.  So far - I have found no place on the PF where the cut interferes with the ball - nor where anywhere where you could have to trim the item.

It is cut generously around all the posts - pop bumpers.  There was on small cut area at the mouth of the vault - on the top side of the bookcase turntable - I was concerned that it might be a bit flimsy (which it looks) - however it has been solid.

The difference from mylar is that mylar normally ends with areas in the main playfield - that sometimes your eye is drawn to.  The lines with this are always at the edges of the playfield area and until you have a good look - it is hard to notice.

I have played about 30 games on it so far. So far can't fault it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:25:17 PM by ausrhino »

Offline Sgtmax

• Forum Posts:
Bought one today for tom. Looks awesome and a great alternative to clear coat

There is no - like - static hold in this item at all - apart from the weight - which is about 1.1kg for the whole item -  it is the cut that really holds it - it just stays in one place.  So far - I have found no place on the PF where the cut interferes with the ball - nor where anywhere where you could have to trim the item.

It is cut generously around all the posts - pop bumpers.  There was on small cut area at the mouth of the vault - on the top side of the bookcase turntable - I was concerned that it might be a bit flimsy (which it looks) - however it has been solid.

The difference from mylar is that mylar normally ends with areas in the main playfield - that sometimes your eye is drawn to.  The lines with this are always at the edges of the playfield area and until you have a good look - it is hard to notice.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
two games I'd like this for would be my two SS games. I wonder if they do requests or have others in the pipeline.

The other added advantage I can see with this product is you could do away with all this ball drop protectors, metal and mylar.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:06:27 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: Playfield Full Protection Product with Photos !
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »

[/quote]

Hey ausrhino, Any updates on the P/F protector, long term issues etc, think of getting one for my TAF

thanks luke.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:45:00 AM by skywalker »

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »

Hey ausrhino, Any updates on the P/F protector, long term issues etc, think of getting one for my TAF

thanks luke.

Luke everything working great.  Just put a game through before I wrote this and got my top score of 828 million.  500 million on the first ball.  The look is great.   The ball runs much smoother and true.  I have actually been in contact with the makers regarding a Tron PF Protector.  I am advised one should be released in a month or so.  I will be ordering ones for CTFBL + ACDC Prem and Tron.

There has been less cleaning.  And it is simply just wiping down the protector with a light spray of novus one.  There are no ball trails to speak of. 

Still a fan of this product.  If you were ever going to put a game on location - you would get install one of these out of the box.

AuS

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply, sounds like a winner  ^^^

Offline BioBa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
From what web site do you guys actually buy this from? I only found a German site charging 119 Euro plus big freight. As far as I understand it should cost around $120.

Offline joele

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »
From what web site do you guys actually buy this from? I only found a German site charging 119 Euro plus big freight. As far as I understand it should cost around $120.

I bought them from the german site before bay area had them (for IJ, BSD and FT) also bought from there recently for RFM.. Make sure you log in as that price probably includes the 19% vat which vanishes once you select to ship to Australia and sign up..

I think Bay area charge around US$120 (not sure about shipping) and Best of pinball charge around 100 euro (when tax removed) but around 40 euro for shipping, better to buy 2-3 at once..

Was very happy with the fit of the first few, RFM however has a cutout missing for the post that pops up below the pop bumpers so had to cut it out myself unfortunately.. shame, I did email best of pinball just to let them know to tell the maker to fix it for next customers, they apologized and forwarded to the makers and said they would contact me, but of course they didn't..
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro