Author Topic: Playfield Full Protection Product with Photos !  (Read 31931 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Playfield Full Protection Product with Photos !
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
Check out this link.

This looks like a excellent product to protect any older pinball machines.

Apx $150 Aussie Dollars by the looks of it, but if it saves your playfield, I reckon a great idea !

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/playfieldprotector/index.html

Its a 2013 fix that saves having to clearcoat a playfield if u don't want to go that way by using the latest in shiny polymer plastics.

Plenty of playfields can be done. I think 86 so far if I am counting correctly !

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/636
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:15:31 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ausrhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
Re: Playfield Full Protection Product with Photos !
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »
I saw this - I have ordered one for my TAF.  Will do a quick write up when it gets here.  Great and cheap idea to preserve playfields.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Re: Playfield Full Protection Product with Photos !
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
This looks like a good product , Will wait for some feedback about its quality and fit. But nice shine on the applied film ^^^ Has any members used this product? Apart from Ausfhino's who is awaiting one for his TAF
One-Ball!

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
Package arrived today - packed quite well.  Going to do a shop of the addams - so going to be about a month before I get all the parts I want sorted.  Then I will do a tear down and install - will post a little review when I do it. 

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I believe this an optically clear laminate designed to withstand traffic made by Concept ( Concept 105)

http://generalformulations.com/PDFs/105%20High%20Gloss.pdf

Please note that this product has a PERMANENT glue base

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Boy - everything old really IS new again.......we used to make these before routing new pins 30 years ago from contact........so easy to make in about 30 minutes it isn't funny.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Does it say it has a glue base on this exact product on their pin website ?, because that would be a BIG thing to way up before usage for sure ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Just read the article and it has NO glue base.. instead is a sheet that sits there.
LOL- so scrap my last post..

Be interesting to see how it fairs over time

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
RIGHTO - I think there is a need to clarify a few things about this product.  It is not CONTACT - and it is not ADHESIVE based.

The place holder website for the company that makes these - http://playfield-protectors.com/

Some Facts of this Product:
- 0,75mm Makrolon (unbreakable)
- Fits 100%
- Protectors comes with bothsides covered film
- Brilliant Look (like clear coating)
- fast Installing
- long time Protection
- can remove without any Problem
- Balls rolls smoother and quieter
- Protector equals evenness, as will lie completly flush on top

Here are the installation instructions for a T2 - http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/_EINBAUANLEITUNGEN/protector_t2-englisch.pdf

Posted the above as there was appearing to be a little confusion as to what this product actually is.  To add to the links - the product is not flimsy at all.  Considering it is only .75mm it feels quite durable.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
My interest is to see how it stands up to a fair among of games ie. Ball tracks etc. If it holds up great, can you imagine your nib protected, it would be nos for all time  ^^^
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
ordered a couple today. I'll post some pics and see how they go.

Offline ausrhino

• Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
Ok Guys - finished Night Work today - got stuck into this this afternoon in my zombie state.  Here is a quick write up.

INSTALL
1.  Removed the ramps - guides - pop bumper caps.
2.  Gave the playfield a quick wipe down
3.  Put the protector with its protective covering on - in -  to make sure it fits.
4.  Removed the backings and placed it in.

THE FIT
The fit of this item was excellent.  It does not move - is very stable. I installed everything back on and sat back in wonder.  This item clearly protects the playfield - but it is hard to describe how great it makes the playfield look.  I have been contemplating removing my addams playfield and shipping it off for a clearcoat.  I am now officially putting this on hold - as the protector gives the effect of nice clearcoated playfield.

The lighting pops more - the ball runs far quiter, and I would put the speed slightly up on what it is before.

Time will be a good test to see whether it gathers ball trails - however it simply states use Novus to clean.  I will attempt to post back in a couple of months or so with how heavy use affects the appearance - however for $150 odd dollars - one of the best things I have bought.  If you were an operator - you would be made not to get this for all your machines - it will keep the playfield in smick condition.

If anyone has any specific questions - ask away.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:39:51 PM by ausrhino »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Gee that looks bloody good eh?.. wonder what this stuff is.. i know of several thousand woodrails that need this kind of protection

Offline Sgtmax

• Forum Posts:
That look awesome! Does anyone know how good an alternative it would be to clearcoat? What the benefits of clearcoat be over this product?

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Looks good . Just one question Do you think any muck and dirt could get under this with lots of plays?
One-Ball!