Author Topic: Who has built a mame pinball cabinet ????  (Read 34507 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Who has built a mame pinball cabinet ????
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
I have been considering building a mame pinball for a while and when I say the potential of the bar being risen with the incredible graphics of Pro Pinball, I am even more keen as there are going to be designing a pinball cabinet view.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500643708/pro-pinball-timeshock-the-ultra-edition-0

I am wondering who here has one of these and who has built their own?

Also cabinet won't be a issue and as for controls you could use one of these or remove the components and merge into a full size cabinet

http://www.ntekgaming.com/pinball-wizard.php

The daunting thing where do you start, virtual pinball, hyper, etc

interested to hear from people who have one or built one.

As for the others, yes I know it's not real pinball, but I think it may be less maintenance  ^^^ and allow you to play other games that you either will never play or custom games like what Pro Pinball want to do.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Who has built a mame pinball cabinet ????
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
Hi Jady
Im, or should I say    Mitch is just starting to build a VP for me.    After seeing a lot  of post about it  and being able to acess heaps of games that I would love to play, past

and   present  I think that it is a good alternative for me   [    I HOPE   ]

Ive never played one before    there was one at Pinfest  but it wasnt switched on, so that wasnt any help.   I guess its like taking a great leap of faith     but after watching what is avaiable    to play its won me over

My 12 yrs son Pat has no intrest in any of my pins  as he is into batman /superman games ,  so these will be the 1st games to be put on to the new game  and Pat will help my dad  build the computer to drive it .

The cab graphics will have pics of Bat/superman ect  and hopefully Pat can help to design them  ^^^
As we go through the build we can post some pics  for any one who is interested...   I reckon that Im in for a very very steep learning curve     Howzat

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Hey Jady. after our chat yesterday and seing your design, I am definately more interested than I was before.I think it'll work out well
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
Anybody in Melbourne or Cowra who would like a hands on let me know :)

Offline Dozer316

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
I've built a heap of them including mini's and full size cabinets.

Depending on how far you want to take it I can help with any questions on the basics right up to the cool stuff like rom controlled force feedback / flashers etc. if you choose to use either of the two (soon to be 3) emulators that support these technologies.

3D nudging using accelerometers / tilt bobs etc / interfacing real DMD displays, Animated rom controlled backglass lighting etc.

They'll never be the real thing, but with the right addons and some of the new physics code being written for Visual Pinball they're getting better and better.

Just fire away.

Dozer.

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »

3D nudging using accelerometers / tilt bobs etc / interfacing real DMD displays, Animated rom controlled backglass lighting etc.

Wow, I never knew that the technology for them could become that realistic.  Very cool!

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »

Wow, I never knew that the technology for them could become that realistic.  Very cool!

and relays inside the cab to simulate pop bumpers and slingshots firing.

Like dozer said they will never replace the real thing, but they are damn close.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:26:18 PM by pinsanity »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
I am getting this gear for my project and have a real user friendly software interface for setting up your gear and suitable for many different systems.
http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Dozer316

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »
Yeah you'll need that to interface your cabinet switches with the computer.   Give me a yell when you've got it flipping and I'm more than happy to help you with the fun stuff that follows.

Offline Dozer316

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
Here's a quick demo of MM running on my test cab.

This cabinet has 2 ledwiz boards - Rom Controlled GI, flashers, a shaker motor and two gear motors to simulate ramps lifting, bookcases opening etc.
The backglass animation and lighting is rom controlled as well.  Most of the switches on the playfield also provide force feedback along with the solenoids or flippers, pops and slings.

Along with a friend in Canada, we're currently looking at launching a virtual pinball specific base for electronics here locally in the next couple of months.

It will include all the stuff to get this running including some alternatives to Ledwiz boards and some cool stuff that hasn't been released yet including Artnet DMX
controller boards for animated led strips etc and some good force feedback alternatives to the current super expensive contactors.  As I said, feel free to quiz me on anything related to this stuff.

Dozer.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
good luck with yor home pins that will never make it to market.enjoy spending shit loads of money. ^&^ @.@ %.% *%*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:34:11 PM by studley67 »
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »
cool video, thanks for sharing and thanks for offering your help - very kind of you.

for me my project is not going to be full blown (at least this one), rather a cocktail pin style and because I am not confident with a windows pc and setting up all the gear I opted to do a mac mini setup with a 100hz led samsung and ultimarc setup. This gives me the ability to flip the screen 90 degrees so kids can play other games like modern version of 1945, Bike Baron, Angry Birds etc and then be able to get on the net and surf the web as well. I will be running pinball arcade, pro pinball and a few of the other random pinball games like EA Sports Pinball etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:56:43 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »
Here's a quick demo of MM running on my test cab.

This cabinet has 2 ledwiz boards - Rom Controlled GI, flashers, a shaker motor and two gear motors to simulate ramps lifting, bookcases opening etc.
The backglass animation and lighting is rom controlled as well.  Most of the switches on the playfield also provide force feedback along with the solenoids or flippers, pops and slings.

Along with a friend in Canada, we're currently looking at launching a virtual pinball specific base for electronics here locally in the next couple of months.

It will include all the stuff to get this running including some alternatives to Ledwiz boards and some cool stuff that hasn't been released yet including Artnet DMX
controller boards for animated led strips etc and some good force feedback alternatives to the current super expensive contactors.  As I said, feel free to quiz me on anything related to this stuff.

Dozer.

That looks fantastic.  ^^^

Ball flow looks smooth with no stutter.

What are your pc specs?

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
This is awesome the support your getting Jady. Thanks Dozer for your positive input and offer of help for Jady's project. Obviously your not aproving of virtual pin Studly, but its not about being a realist. Its about puting the hoby or interest in everyones reach. Not everyone can afford to spend $1000 pluss minimum on one machine. Why shouldnt people be able to make their own or buy a product that is easily upgradable for a minimal expense. Thats my 2cents worth, take it how you want to. Good on you Jady, I'll support you however I can. go for it.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
if anyone can buid a virtual pin+oldschool video games all in one for under $2000,then i will aprove.until then i am sceptical.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you