Author Topic: Apron decal application help  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Apron decal application help
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
Hi Guys, any advice in applying apron decals would be greatly appreciated. Theses are the decals I had autographed  by Sam J Jones (Flash Gordon) so I won't get another chance if I stuff it up. They appear to be a light vinyl type sticker but I'm worried about making the signature bleed if I use any wet method while installing. Any Ideas? A light coat of windex on the apron has been suggested so far.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Apron decal application help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
Depends on what it was signed with.. wet method is only water with the tiniest drop of detergent added.. nothing to dissolve ink unless its water based.
Personally though, id be giving it a quick spray with acrylic clear ( very thin coats.. leave to dry and then another very thin coat).. that way you can apply decal knowing its protected. This will also prevent any wear to the signature

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »
I did use the wet method on my funhouse as it does make it really easy. I even did the bumper decals to get them perfect. You don't need to saturate them in liquid but I would still be worried about the autograph. My tip is wet down the decal and use say a tissue or clean cloth to push out the Windex. Just make sure when rubbing near the signature, the cloth etc is completely dry and just slowly swipe over the top, each time ensuring the cloth is dry. Should work I think
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »
I gotta do the exact same thing with a Gottlieb decal I bought from Pinball rescue.  Below are the instructions that came with my decal.  Obviously mine doesn't have a signature on but perhaps if you do what the below instructions say, just a bit of detergent and water on the apron then put a piece of paper over the top of the decal to protect it (and the signature) whilst you work out any excess water and air.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
Given the delicate nature of the signature, I would be leaning toward applying 'dry'.

You could consider getting the decal as it is scanned, and digitally reproduced (for your game only of course) so that you dont encounter any finish issues/reactions. While its not truly going to be the hand signed one on your game, it would be nice to know that you genuinely own the original and the reproduction was used simply for preservation purposes.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses guys. Lots of ideas there, I just wish I had a spare one to practice on first. I'd like to do my Xenon as well but I haven't been ale to track down the apron decal anywhere. If I did a practice run on one I'd be a lot more comfortable.

Depends on what it was signed with.. wet method is only water with the tiniest drop of detergent added.. nothing to dissolve ink unless its water based.
Personally though, id be giving it a quick spray with acrylic clear ( very thin coats.. leave to dry and then another very thin coat).. that way you can apply decal knowing its protected. This will also prevent any wear to the signature

I had thought about giving it a clear coat to protect but I had thought that was probably better done after the decal had been applied. I've reconsidered that though once I thought about the possible issues with the signature bleeding. He used a silver marker to sign with.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »
Xenon decal here! Hope it is what you are after

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Bally.html
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:39 PM »
Xenon decal here! Hope it is what you are after

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Bally.html

Thanks for that. These ones are different to the type I have for FG but great to know my options here.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:43:41 AM »
Few things to take into account..
Dry method gives a greater risk of bubbles or misalignment. I apply vinyl and digital print all the time for my job and I would still think twice before doing this dry.
If you know what pen was used then go buy one.. draw on  a smooth surface, spray with acrylic clear and see if it eats it.. if not - your OK.
OR.. if you want to be 100% sure, protect the signature and be able to use the wet method then ring round for a few sign shops that do digital print. They'll be able to run it through a  cold laminator for you with choice of finishes.. gloss, satin or matte.
Laminate is real cheap and is a UV protectant for your print and signature.. cost is around $10 per linear metre for materials so you should be able to get this done for a 6 pack id say

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »
Few things to take into account..
Dry method gives a greater risk of bubbles or misalignment. I apply vinyl and digital print all the time for my job and I would still think twice before doing this dry.
If you know what pen was used then go buy one.. draw on  a smooth surface, spray with acrylic clear and see if it eats it.. if not - your OK.
OR.. if you want to be 100% sure, protect the signature and be able to use the wet method then ring round for a few sign shops that do digital print. They'll be able to run it through a  cold laminator for you with choice of finishes.. gloss, satin or matte.
Laminate is real cheap and is a UV protectant for your print and signature.. cost is around $10 per linear metre for materials so you should be able to get this done for a 6 pack id say

That's an excellent idea, thanks Gav. The cold laminator sounds like the go. I'll be on the phone to the local sign shop in the morning.