Author Topic: First Post  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Gorgonzola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
First Post
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
Hi All,

My name is Steve and I'm currently searching for my first pinball machine. When I was younger I played a lot of arcade games but only occasionally played pinball. Now that I'm older I think I have a greater appreciation for what goes into making them and would like to learn more about it and generally have a tinker.

I've gone back and forth in my mind as to what machine I'd like to try to get first, and at present I'm thinking Getaway would be a good choice if I can find one that isn't too dear. I love the theme and remember playing this one when I was younger. Ideally I'd like to fine one that doesn't have any pre-existing significant electrical faults, but I'm happy to get one that requires cosmetic work especially if it means I can spend less up front.

If anyone knows of someone in Victoria selling one that is fully functional (even if it requires a lot of cosmetic work or mechanical adjustment) let me know.

There's one on eBay currently that looks like it might fit the bill with regards to being functional (according to the ad, I haven't looked at it in person yet) and requiring a lot of cosmetic work. I'd like some opinions regarding the price as I seem to find that all the ads I look at (for any machine) seem to be priced a lot higher than what members on this forum indicate they think a fair price would be given a certain condition.

Would I be lucky to get Getaway in any condition for $2.5k or less? Or am I looking at too many dealer ads and thinking they are worth more than they really are?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: First Post
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:46:53 PM »
Hi Steve and welcom to AP. I'm not that up with the current going rate for Getaway but I think you'll be looking at around the 3k mark for one in decent condition though I'm sure others will know better than me on this machine as well as have some tips in what to look out for issue wise with this game. Good luck with the search on your first machine. The only other thing I'd add is don't be in a hurry to buy. If your not sure about a machine you find just make another post and ask some questions. There's lots of good people here on AP who'll only be to happy to advise you before you shell out your hard earned cash.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
welcome to AP
 ^^^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice Crashramp. I'll need to balance my eagerness to get started with patience!

Thanks beaky.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice Crashramp. I'll need to balance my eagerness to get started with patience!

Thanks beaky.

Rule #1 - Do NOT impulse buy your first pinball machine. It always ends up in tears ! The easy part is choosing a game, the hard part is finding a game for the right price, in the right condition. This means checking out all the dealers and playing their machines until you find a great playing game at a fair price. Never say anything like "I'm looking for my first pinball"...

Take your time and ask as many questions as you need to HERE before making a purchase.

BTW -  %)% to Aussie Pinball !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
Welcome - there is a member here with a couple of machines for sale - you won't get better than looking here for a good machine and usually at a good price.

He has a Dracula at around $2700 (I think?) and that is a brilliant machine for an excellent price IMO.

I have a Dracula (BSD for Bram Stokers Dracula) in my lounge right next to a Getaway and it gets about 4 times the play as the Getaway.....maybe that's just me and/or my friends?

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
 %)% you can find getaways in need of restoration inside your budget. A fully restored one would be around the $3000 mark though

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
 %)%
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 02:24:48 AM »
Don't get too hung up on the cosmetic side for your first pinball (unless it has major playfield wear down to the wood). A few cabinet dings or fade (most Getaways have lost the red colour in the cab) give a pin a bit of character.

For a first buyer, as long as the machine is 100% working electronically will be the most important aspect.

Nothing sours the taste faster for a new hobbyist than getting a pin home to find something on it doesn't work correctly. Then out comes the wallet to pay someone to do a house call to fix it.

With a bit of patience and persistence, you should be able to find a decent 100% working getaway with a few bumps and scrapes for around the $2200-2500 mark.

If you are picky and want something in a better quality condition (new cab decals, new parts etc) - obviously these cost money but more importantly labour so the price of this can quickly add up to the final sell price.

Edit: Okay just looked at the one on ebay you referred to. That is more than a few dings and scrapes - that cabinet is trashed. $2k offer or below for that one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:29:19 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
Thanks for your comments pinsanity.

What you've described is what I'm hoping to find.

Regarding the eBay one, yeh I'm skeptical of the 'cabinet fade' comment in the ad... it looks like someone has had a go at it with an electric sander.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »
Welcome to Aussie Pinball and good luck on the hunt.  If you don't have your heart set on a getaway I have a High Speed for sale which is getaway part 1

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
Welcome to Aussie Pinball and good luck on the hunt.  If you don't have your heart set on a getaway I have a High Speed for sale which is getaway part 1

I'd definitely recommend having a serious look at Daniel's game. High Speed is the original classic and a better game in my opinion. You can have a look at the game play here:

http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/high-speed/

I've seen this game in person and it's in good condition. Daniel is a very generous guy and a gifted pinball tech who will have the game working 100%.

Offline Gorgonzola

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
Daniel, would you mind PMing me some pics and the price? I need to get my post count up before I can view the For Sale threads.

I've never played the original High Speed, but I'll certainly consider it.

solar value, I think I'm going to lose a few hours looking through those vids, thanks!

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »
 $.$
solar value, I think I'm going to lose a few hours looking through those vids, thanks!

Yer! Lose plenty of time studying those and then cry when I can't even get half the score with the machine set on easy.  !!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
Well guys I met Shane tonight great guy and so are his mates.      And he is hooked  ^^^