Author Topic: No Longer Available Items for Restoring  (Read 21472 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
No Longer Available Items for Restoring
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »
I have had a few people ask me to investigate a few items to make so they can bring back certain machines back to restored condition with parts that are no longer available.

Since I have the gear to draw up, model and proto-type I will be doing a number of items in the near future. The idea is I will not be producing them, but rather designing them and then submitting them to Shapeways in Europe and USA in a so called shop front that I have set up with them so they can print as they have a wider choice or more appropriate materials better suited to the purpose of these parts. My methods of producing is with PLA plastic which is not ideal for impact parts but great for getting a concept and checking.

Rest assured I do not put a big margin on these things as I want alot of people to take advantage of the parts availability. Shapeways charges a specific volumetric fee for each item and I place a small margin on this to get a very small reward for my efforts.

In addition before these parts are available to the public to purchase I will purchase a part from them to check before anyone does a mass purchase and discover there are issues. This alone is not cheap but it still is slightly cheaper for you than me making inferior parts.

Stay tuned for items to be available at my store.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Dutch-Orange
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:55:49 AM by Strangeways »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: No Longer Available Items for Restoring - Ceasing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
While you're doing this, PLEASE consider improving the parts instead of copying an already poorly-designed part.
Many corners were cut back in the day, and not all parts were made carefully or aesthetically pleasing....

NOW is your chance to correct those mistakes.

For example, the hex-post cable holders (although good) still make the post/wiring look messy.
I designed (long ago) a hollow sleeve the full length of the post that hid the wiring all along the post, whether it was 1" or 4" tall and made the game far neater.
(The sleeve was chrome steel for bling, since the hex-posts were already chrome, but the sleeves could equally be coloured plastic to match the game/theme)

Lets make pinball BETTER, instead of putting up with poorly designed parts from the past.

Just my 20c

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
no worries Marty and point taken, but in doing so, who ever asks me to design a part may need to educate me on how it can be improved as I will not be aware of so many issues that could be improved on.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
here is a part wanted by Crashramp for his Xenon & Kings of Steel - Roll Over Button - ASW-A1-162

Funny enough Crashramp seems to have the only machines that used this type of Button. There are 4 Roll Over Buttons at the top of the playfield, I was able to model accurately and then make a fairly close sample and like stated before I will get Shapeways to make one to confirm final accuracy before opening to the public.

Note: Shapeways charges a minimum of $20 for postage to Australia so best to save up and get a few things at a time. I will soon have about 10 items for Nino designed, tested and listed there from the SS 80's era, as well as various mods (band stuff etc), though I will still print some mod stuff here as it is often suspended and out of the road from impacts and I have some cool printing plastics coming soon - wood grain  () . I have investigated a number of other print services and though some are slightly cheaper, the material options are poor, so Shapeways is the happy medium.

Also Shapeways print quality is Nylon Plastic in flat or a little more for polished and makes the parts by laying 0.10mm layers of powder and then depositing a liquid component to finalise the process so the level of detail is very good doing 10 layers for every millimetre.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
Keep up the great work Jady . Sounds like your new hobby business is outgrowing itself already  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
here is a part wanted by Crashramp for his Xenon & Kings of Steel - Roll Over Button - ASW-A1-162

Funny enough Crashramp seems to have the only machines that used this type of Button. There are 4 Roll Over Buttons at the top of the playfield, I was able to model accurately and then make a fairly close sample and like stated before I will get Shapeways to make one to confirm final accuracy before opening to the public.

Note: Shapeways charges a minimum of $20 for postage to Australia so best to save up and get a few things at a time. I will soon have about 10 items for Nino designed, tested and listed there from the SS 80's era, as well as various mods (band stuff etc), though I will still print some mod stuff here as it is often suspended and out of the road from impacts and I have some cool printing plastics coming soon - wood grain  () . I have investigated a number of other print services and though some are slightly cheaper, the material options are poor, so Shapeways is the happy medium.

Also Shapeways print quality is Nylon Plastic in flat or a little more for polished and makes the parts by laying 0.10mm layers of powder and then depositing a liquid component to finalise the process so the level of detail is very good doing 10 layers for every millimetre.

Think youll find that those buttons are quite prevalent in BALLY EM games.. HI DEAL is one that immediately comes to mind..

Quick IPDB search reveals that these can be used in the following games:
HI DEAL
XENON
KINGS OF STEEL
ROCKMAKERS
ODDS $ EVENS
MONTE CARLO
FLIP FLOP
FORE

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
thanks for that gave, I just could see a picture on a few of those so didn't want to assume give the age difference between these 2 games and the older ones.

Anyway it will be helpful for more people

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
thanks for that gave, I just could see a picture on a few of those so didn't want to assume give the age difference between these 2 games and the older ones.

Anyway it will be helpful for more people

Great stuff Jady.  ^^^
I was telling Jady just before I picked up the Kings of Steel that I couldn't find any other games other than Xenon with these buttons then of course I pick up KoS and there they are again. Also good to know that there are more Gav. I'm sure there are others missing these buttons or wanting to replace old stained ones. Personally I didn't like the thought of putting the original grubby buttons back into a brand new CPR playfield if I had a choice and now thanks to Jady, I do have a choice.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
Aye... might even take a few myself.. I have a HI DEAL here awaiting restoration

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
This is is great engineering mate ....

Just need to get it out here in the pinball market

Offline wiredoug

• Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:36:19 PM »
i think you will find that the rollover button is C-587-6 and ASW-A1-162 is actually the switch under it.
Put me down for some if you make them

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
you are very correct wiredoug,

Roll Over Button   -    C-587-6

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
these will be available next week when I get the correct white plastic, care of Nino's help with parts to copy from (from a Fathom) and I will finalise prices once the plastic comes in.

Bally Backbox Light Shrouds with two sizes available at this point of time:
- 37 x 51mm outer shroud size
- 37 x 86mm outer shroud size

and there will be the original type as well as the upgraded type with 4 screw mount holes so you don't have to install with staples anymore.

These will be made in a glossy white PLA and made to order. I am just printing samples in a translucent white to check the final design, took a few go's to perfect but confident that I am there now.

The PLA is extruded at $190 deg C so pretty confident that these will be well suited for globe heat for a Bally back box restore.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
photos of the completed items in the wrong PLA plastic, and these are dimensionally the same and a little firmer than the originals with the base mount being 1.25mm thick and the shroud wall thickness being 1mm with the same slight taper inwards to control the shape.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
Brilliant. I've seen so many of these missing from games. I also can provide Williams shrouds - circa Black Knight / Flash / Jungle Lord and Classic Stern.

@@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia