Author Topic: Gottlieb Genie Restoration  (Read 16976 times)

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Gottlieb Genie Restoration
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
Great to see all the work your putting in.   I agree with the other  comments  it will look great

I really luv my Genie   and  it will always stay in my collection          Howzat   

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 11:04:22 AM »
It will be an amazing machine when completed. Just waiting on the final mask for the bonus area (1000 - 9000) and then it goes off for the final clear and polish.

Then I move on the underside of the playfield. Most mechanicals have been completed already.

We sent off the original siderails (via Crashramp) to Jeff at Railways and he has made a repro set. This set is unique to Genie and Roller Disco as they have shorter siderails than standard SYS1.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
Just caught up on this thread .. looking fantastic so far Nino  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 01:13:22 AM »
Good stuff on Jeff to make a set for you  ^^^ gotta love his rails.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29:03 AM »
Good stuff on Jeff to make a set for you  ^^^ gotta love his rails.

+1 Jeff is great to deal with. The only reason these came via me is because I had the original ones from this game with me at the time. Fortunately for me when this Genie is done I'll be taking it home.  $#$  
I've seen where the games up to at the moment and it really is special, pictures don't do it justice.

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
Hi Crashramp

Was Genie a game from your past   The good old days  :lol   Im sure it will look as good in your line up as it dose mine      Its a classic game    Howzat 

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »
Lots of  love for GENIE around.
I have one as well.
It's the machine that the mrs loves. She doesn't  play pinball but this machine is known in our household as hers .
It's has great Gordon Morison art work. One of his best in my option. Maybe his best. But I may be biased..

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »
Hi Crashramp

Was Genie a game from your past   The good old days  :lol   Im sure it will look as good in your line up as it dose mine      Its a classic game    Howzat 

No unfortunatly never played one when it was new but I'm a big fan of the system 1 machines and really wanted a Nino restoration for my collection and couldn't go past this title. Great game and gorgeous art work. I can't wait to see it finished and have it home.

Lots of  love for GENIE around.
I have one as well.
It's the machine that the mrs loves. She doesn't  play pinball but this machine is known in our household as hers .
It's has great Gordon Morison art work. One of his best in my option. Maybe his best. But I may be biased..
My wife's pretty good about the pins I bring home but she doesn't generally care one way or the other about them. She loves the look of this one though which is a bonus.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
So this is one of two LONG projects (the other is a High Hand) that I'm working on over the break. The bonus area on this game looked "ok", but the more I looked, the more I realized it is not good enough. So I thought of a plan to not repair the area, but to completely repaint the area - that way it does not look touched up and repaired. The first thing to do is scan the bonus area, and see if Gavin can make me a mask for the bonus numbering.

Then I use Frisket and carefully cut out the areas I want to paint. I've thinned the paint right down for an even coat. This photo is taken straight after I but the airbrush down and it is drying.

The paint was thin enough so I can see the outlines underneath, but thicker in the areas where the bonus numbering will be..

Mask applied.

Thin coats, just enough for the paint to cover the areas - a little bit of bleed on the "1000" that I will address later..

Very pleased !

So here is the initial "lock in clearcoat", and you can see the difference.

Here is the area, which I'm almost done with. The photo on the left is what I'm working off for the fine lines. I've repainted almost everything in this area ;

I'm VERY pleased I went down this road - even thought it was very "stop and start" - an in reality - it added almost 2 months to the restoration, but I think the the new owner would have preferred the area to look it's best, as this is the area you look at on the playfield the most. Maybe 8 hours of effort, but I'm very pleased.

So a few more black lines and some insert work and it will be sent off for the final clearcoat.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 07:52:16 PM »
Nice job!  Stencil isn't an easy one to use but result are sensational... alignment is spot on as the black line cuts the 6000 perfectly.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Nice job!  Stencil isn't an easy one to use but result are sensational... alignment is spot on as the black line cuts the 6000 perfectly.

A bit of artistic license - the black line is meant to go over the bonus area number. A lot of the lines or folds will be not 100% to the original.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
Looks much better than the first touch up. Well done there mate.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
Very nice, impressed.
Is that the first time you have used Frisket film? great stuff.
Did you print/make the '000 mask section. And then cut out with a pen knife?

My T2 playfield has been clearcoated, pics look amazing, will see it in person soon. Cabinet prepped and ready for colour!

T

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »

A bit of artistic license - the black line is meant to go over the bonus area number. A lot of the lines or folds will be not 100% to the original.

Easy to paint back in though...

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 10:12:17 PM »
It looks phenomenal Nino, really beautiful! I can't wait to play it, great work!