Author Topic: Stern Kiss Pinball  (Read 8411 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Kiss Pinball
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
Three points ;

1 - If this was true, then KISS Inc would have bragged about it weeks ago. They always announce the product, not the producer. Since when do "lawyers" release pinball news..

2 - KISS will want full control over the use of their music and images. So designers will be given the back seat. So I can't see this EVER working out.

3 - Original members on the game = massive seller. Cover band members (current line up) = lowest selling Stern title in history.

Until it comes from the KISS camp - it is another BS rumor. Garry Stern can wish all he likes, it won't happen.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
Nooooooooooooooooo whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy .
I want original funny themes  !!!
WNBJM would have been a refreshing break.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
Metallica was a great success for Stern and saw a move away from Photoshopped art. But, this wasn't a choice Stern wanted to make.. I think youll find that it was stipulated by the band in order for them to grant licence.. Dirty Donnie has been a long time friend of Hetfield and does a lot of art for them. The move away from PS art was gladly received by the pinball community but unfortunately, it didn't indicate a new direction by Stern.
Roll on to another speculation of what the next game could possibly be and KISS is mentioned once again.
To be brutally honest, Stern either hit the nail on the head or get it horribly wrong. If left to their own devices its normally wrong.
IF this pin were to happen, then id say KISS would want a lot of control over how it looks and how it plays.. and so they should. When you have a marketing engine like KISS have, you cant afford a major item like this to be done badly.
OK.. so we want to see games along the lines of Metallica and ACDC... we don't want to see another Rolling Stones... Elvis...Mustang etc.
Stern consistently have more misses than hits... Mustang sees a roll back to old Stern... it looks bloody awful and hasn't been a great success...
.. so you want KISS???.. Better hope Stern hits a rare goal then... personally, if I were a KISS fan, id be hoping they wouldn't be doing it!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:52 AM »
Looks like this is really going to happen judging by the posts on pinside :-) maybe 3rd in line people are still saying walking dead next.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
From the article published in March ;

"Furano is currently in the process of licensing iconic images and photos of Kiss band members from the 1970s."

IF the game does happen (Gary Stern bows to their requests), then it HAS to use the original line up's images. Anything with the cover band members will tank. Proof of this was the 2 shows at Etihad last year. Both shows, all the T-Shirts with the original members were sold out well before the show. There were boxes of T-Shirts with the cover band line up.

None of the Stern designers are KISS fans. If Borg did it, then it would be another failure anyway. I think Trudeau could be the only designer that does not dislike KISS !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern Kiss Pinball
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
Here's there new tour program cover I'd have that as a translite but with there images up the top on there new pinball :-)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
Meh

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
here is a link to John's work - looks great but not a fan of the legs colour or design.

http://www.pinballinventor.org/games/kisspinball/main/wlester/main.html

It will be interesting if Stern buys the designs / art off Jpop
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
Seems to be alot of negativity around what seems to be a the pending release of a Kiss machine.  My prediction as I have said before, with the right designer and artwork, it will be a successful machine for Stern.

I should be used to it in the pinball industry but the negativity and comments surprises me a bit.  Guys, it's pinball.   History tells us that not every machine is going to make everyone happy and not every machine will be a best seller, Stern alone have proven that.  Shouldn't we just be happy that there are new machines still rolling off the production line?  Yes some are better than others but jeepers, at least pinball is still alive.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »
Not being negative at KISS
Just poking at the KISS fanbois

;)

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »
Not being negative at KISS
Just poking at the KISS fanbois

;)

Meh

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
Yeah if this goes ahead it simply must have proper artwork on it like Metallica did. It would be very disappointing if it didn't. I was curious about Sterns reluctance to do this in the past, obviously it's about cost, but what sort of cost difference are we talking to pay an artist to design something vs messing around with photoshopped images? Is it that much of a deal breaker the cost?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
Yeah if this goes ahead it simply must have proper artwork on it like Metallica did. It would be very disappointing if it didn't. I was curious about Sterns reluctance to do this in the past, obviously it's about cost, but what sort of cost difference are we talking to pay an artist to design something vs messing around with photoshopped images? Is it that much of a deal breaker the cost?

Spot on so let's wait and see some design pictures then judge :-) shame it's attracted so much negativity and it's only just been announced.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 10:54:13 AM »
I think it is great that new pins are still coming out, better than nothing and if it grows the pinball market outside of us pinheads then all the better.

People will like themes or it won't be their thing - so be it.

As for the Kiss if it is like Jpop's art, cool, and since I am not a die hard kiss fan but don't mind them or the music, I just see painted faces so not a big issue for me if under those painted faces a few members have changed. If it looks cool, looks like a fun game to play with a great layout and I had the money I would be interested.

Lets just enjoy pinball
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
When was the last time Stern chose a theme that was not  20+ old ?