Author Topic: How do you decide what stays and what goes in your collection  (Read 17008 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Hey Guys how do we all decide what stays and what goes?

My shed had been to the "I can't fit one more thing in here" half a dozen time but with enough rearranging I can fit stuff in.      This time my dartboard has been moved down the bar end of the shed because its always  un useable because I've always got a project going on in front of it.

Problem is I've had to remove one of my Backglass and Playfield sets :(

How do others decide?????

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Most of the games i've sold over the last couple of years have been games i bought on a whim, rather than games i really wanted. Games that i either didnt play much back in the day, or that i hadn't even seen or played before i bought them.

All were sold because i needed quick $$ otherwise i would've kept them.. plus it it gives me extra room for a couple of others i have my eye on  *%*
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:21:00 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I sold a game once, still regret it

Nothing goes, they all stay

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
No such thing as a keeper here. They are only games, I like to flip them often and enjoy different titles.
 ^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
The luxury of having a building to set up my collection has allowed me to extend it.

My collection consists of ex routed games from Dad's Operating days - Sky Jump, Spirit of 76, KISS and Paragon. These are the cornerstones. Other games I've been chasing are games I remembered on operation - Smart Set, Honey, Captain Fantastic, Fireball, Nip It and Winner. I'm keeping CP, Fireball, Nip It and Winner as they are fantastic machines.

My favorite players are the Paragon (above), Fathom (took 10 years to locate), Medusa, Flash Gordon, Embryon, Vector, Viking, Haunted House, Spirit, Black Hole, Flight 2000, Freefall and CV..

Nothing has really gone over the year, as I keep building the collection up, and I have a place to house them. They just need to be restored !!

I'm still chasing "Rocket Ship" (but I bevel that is now sorted), "Olympic Hockey", "Zodiac" and possibly "Scared Stiff".

I could cull 5-6 if I had to, but I would never get rid of the "cornerstone" games - Sky Jump, Spirit of 76, KISS and Paragon
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I  move games on that don't get played any more or that I bought on a whim .
The next game I am thinking of selling gets moved to the 'sell spot' and usually is out the door  a couple of months after .
I also only have room for 5 pinballs in my lineup and am maxed out on my budget so will be selling some soon (one project going next week).

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
I have limited space that always seems to be full.  Not as easy to sell a machine now as they are all machines that I want to hold onto whereas in the early days I was just buying anything reasonably priced that I thought may be a good machine.

Now though I look at machines that don't get played, especially when I have a few friends around.  The ones that sit idle make their way to the top of the list of machines to sell when the time comes.  There have been some machines on that list that I wish I didn't sell but at the time they didn't get played and were just taking up room and if they were still here today, it would be the same.
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
No such thing as a keeper here. They are only games, I like to flip them often and enjoy different titles.
 ^^^

Yes that's something I've learnt over time variety is the spice if life :-)

Peter

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
The first time I sell would be the last, in other words the lot. Not quite there yet. My only suggestion is to build another shed.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Whatever I can negotiate with the family to not complain too much about me selling..  ^&^

Though I do have my personal favorites I will not even consider (at least for now) selling..
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
Whatever gets least play would be top on my "to sell" list. Only having room for a few machines I only keep the ones that get used.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I have sold games that I like the artwork but not the gameplay
I have also sold games that I liked the gameplay but they were a bit ugly (either worn out or not the best art) - these are the ones that I often look to get another one again

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
I had a Super Mario Brothers a long time ago. Clocked it once and got haft way to clocking it twice on one game. It was time to move it on after that.

Offline shedpinball

• Forum Posts:
  • Dover Gardens
had no room in my shed for anything else so sold the biggest thing that was in there ,  ready for something new to add to my bram stokers dracula,

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
As far as inside the house is concerned, I'm almost full (plenty more room really but the wife says enough) I have a little more room in the garage before a car would have to move outside but I'm not keen on that so I'm close to the point where I'm thinking about if I'd sell or store a game. I have plenty of room to store machines away from home but I'd never turn them on unless they lived at home with me.
I'm not much of a spontaneous buyer either so I tend to target a game that I really want for a while before buying it which possibly makes it emotionally a little harder to part with later on. I also get a lot of satisfaction from doing games up so that also makes them feel a bit more personal and also harder to give up so generally I think I'll probably keep collecting and rotating my games around from time to time. I think it's nice to know that if I had a pinball meet night or a weekend planned then I could bring a heap more games home then I'd normally have here for others to enjoy also.
I think it's going to be very hard for me to put a game I've restored away in storage but at some stage I know if I keep working on them then eventually some of my favourites will have to be put away.