Author Topic: Australian Pinball Expo 2014  (Read 12389 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
Newb to this site and member also to the other. I wasnt aware of the conflict between the two. Seems to be some uninformed info here and comments made just to stir up sh*t......

OK I'll bite.  If you haven't been around long enough to know about the 'history' then don't comment on it or as you say, make "comments made just to stir up shit."

It seems to me that tickets sales for the Expo are down so someone has suggested they finally include the guys on AP.

As they say, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything so in relation to AA - "         "

Honestly, lets face facts, nothing is ever going to change between the forums.  Too many chiefs that think they are "the authority and the voice" of all things pinball and not enough genuine guys running the show.
Addicted to pins.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:29 AM »
I think this is going to be a fun weekend .. shame I can only go on the Saturday due to work commitments .

If I had stumped up my own hard earned to stage this event, then no way would I be making it exclusive .

Far as I know, tickets have been available for purchase on the event website for several weeks at least .

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Hashman

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • SKW Corporation
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
Forum wars. Lol. Who cares. What's the point.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 10:18:40 AM »
Who cares....not me. TBL, FT, WOOLY or Timeshock aren't going to be there, so there is really no point in going.

^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »

Nah. This is kids stuff
I used to belong to a forum that had bad blood between former and current members
Death threats and legal threats were common

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
Who cares....not me. TBL, FT, WOOLY or Timeshock aren't going to be there, so there is really no point in going.

^^^

But wasn't Thunderbirds going to be there?

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »

^^^

But wasn't Thunderbirds going to be there?

I don't know, you are best asking Mike. Has anyone heard anything about Thunderbirds at all?
It would be a nice surprise for those attending if there was a proto there.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »

Exactly. The event was organised by members of Aussie Arcade, and if a decision was made to confine sales until recently to via that forum, then that is their prerogative. In my opinion these events should be used to foster relationships both at individual and forum level. However, some people have strong alternative views, and that is what it is.

If I had stumped up my own hard earned to stage this event, then no way would I be making it exclusive .

You would think so, but as the organisers are not members here, there was no reason we should have expected to have seen anything posted here, unless the organisers decided to contact Strangeways or me to post information, or joined for the purpose of that etc - we would have been happy to have set up a devoted section to this like we did for similar events previously.

However, that would not have worked because of the decision to not allow general public sales until a few weeks ago, so  tickets would not have been available to AP members.

As Strangeways noted earlier, when he was contacted by Michael our main concern was that we could not really do much until tickets would be available.

Far as I know, tickets have been available for purchase on the event website for several weeks at least .

That's right - since 27 October I think. But bear in mind that we are talking a couple of weeks available to the general public after many months of being only available to members elsewhere.

Now that general public tickets are available, I hope many get to enjoy the event.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline blue95

• Forum Posts:
  • Hunter Valley
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
Like Newcastle Pinfest, I don't think forum members of any type are these guy's target market. With the amount of money they would have to outlay it's definitely a general public event. They just probably assumed all hardcore pinball enthusiasts would not miss the opportunity to play all those games in one place without having to travel to the US.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »
Like Newcastle Pinfest, I don't think forum members of any type are these guy's target market. With the amount of money they would have to outlay it's definitely a general public event. They just probably assumed all hardcore pinball enthusiasts would not miss the opportunity to play all those games in one place without having to travel to the US.

Just seems silly not to speed the word as widely as possible and promote it across both forums

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
Honestly, lets face facts, nothing is ever going to change between the forums.  Too many chiefs that think they are "the authority and the voice" of all things pinball and not enough genuine guys running the show.

Spot on. The current pinball expo is not the issue - though it does represent another tangible manifestation of a deeper underlying problem with the pinball hobby in Australia.

Not surprisingly it has caused a great deal of frustration amongst those who are genuinely passionate about seeing the hobby grow beyond the boundaries of the current entrenched fringe group hierarchical structure. It is simply another opportunity lost due to it being an exercise in personal/forum hubris and one upmanship, rather than a chance for magnanimity and impartiality.

As you said, nothing is going to change unless the structure of the hobby itself changes in Australia.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Announcing the "Pinball Forum Wars in the UFC Hectagon for all forum Moderators".

To be held on Xmas day just after the turkey has been served.  &&

We will be using the "tag" system where the warriors will take turns In the UFC Silverball Hectagon".
The combatants will be armed with a handful of silver pinballs each. A giant baseball bat sized flipper bat and a oversized slingshot rubber to catch your opponent".

Weight classes will be designed and calculated by he who has the best and worst threads spanning back to five years.
We have lock in tickets for the wives and children only, and general entry will be at the graveyard gates. Lol

Come along a for the Moderator all in brawl and bet on your favourite Mod.
In our corner we have Strangeways, the monster of Melbourne known for his extensive use of pinball tools. This man can carve a pinball machine in ice with a chainsaw, and he will be assisted by Nick the Legal assassin.
A simple cease and desist letter can render even the best of fighters useless only minutes prior to the entry to the UFC Octagon.  They will make a strong team. They have Retropin in their corner, singing pommy football style songs and will be conducting the ASAP Mexican wave. We have cow corner also on the staff, yelling negative things at anyone resembling a tosser from the other side, and I will be head coach, shit stirring the hell out of anyone taking things too seriously.

Don't miss the Forum Wars. It's going to be a multiball multiplayer Octagon spectacular...

Watch your favourite moderators in action. This will be epic. I am backing team AP ofcourse as the all time favourites.

Support your local guys with donations of medical supplies and a safe house once the spectacle has begun.
Pinball, the blood sport of forum fun. Lol %.% %.% ^^^ ^^^

(Anyway, have a laugh. It's all good to just be silly and have a chuckle when things are too serious. Lol

Long live Pinball and the friendships we all share !

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:29:11 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
Re:
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
Tickets were never available for sale via AA.  It's always been the case that tickets be purchased via the pinball expo website.   There has been no real tangible imformation posted on AA up until very recently regarding tickets, promoting etc of the expo.  The standard response was,  check the website..

Anyway,  no one is excluded..  Do you think there is going to be a disclaimer on the door stating that if your affiliated witg AP, that you're not welcome.?  Not the case..  Get along, buy a ticket,  build some bridges and have a bit of fun.   We're not getting any younger.

Pinballexpo.com.au

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
Tickets were never available for sale via AA.  It's always been the case that tickets be purchased via the pinball expo website.   There has been no real tangible imformation posted on AA up until very recently regarding tickets, promoting etc of the expo.  The standard response was,  check the website..

Anyway,  no one is excluded..  Do you think there is going to be a disclaimer on the door stating that if your affiliated witg AP, that you're not welcome.?  Not the case..  Get along, buy a ticket,  build some bridges and have a bit of fun.   We're not getting any younger.

Pinballexpo.com.au

Well said.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:41:32 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re:
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »

Tickets were never available for sale via AA.  It's always been the case that tickets be purchased via the pinball expo website.   There has been no real tangible imformation posted on AA up until very recently regarding tickets, promoting etc of the expo.  The standard response was,  check the website..

Really? Nothing like what I read for the last few months.

Anyway,  no one is excluded..  Do you think there is going to be a disclaimer on the door stating that if your affiliated witg AP, that you're not welcome.?  Not the case..  Get along, buy a ticket,  build some bridges and have a bit of fun.   We're not getting any younger.

A partially sensible comment clothed in the usual stupidity. No-one is saying anyone is excluded. The issue is and was ticket availability, which has become public only in the last couple of weeks. Perhaps you should read some of the thread first instead of posting blind.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”