Author Topic: Australian Pinball Expo 2014  (Read 12364 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
Im assuming that tickets are no longer exclusively through AA anymore and that the lock in tickets haven't sold out either to private members?

So with less than a week to go.. its officially mentioned on AP?

I wish you all the success I can at this Oscar, but its been a closed shop event for months now...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Pinball Memories at the Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »
I wouldn't go based on the AA us and them ticket sales practices of the past.
At $30 a day, sounds like someone's going for a nice money grab.
Is this like the other pinball expo where they said they were raising $$ for charity then the two blokes kept the lot....

Hope it works out for you Oscar.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
$30 bucks I think is a bit steep for sum people. $30 bucks entry, all games on free play inc Wizard Of Oz.
Looking forwould to the show.

My thought

Pinpal..

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
Im assuming that tickets are no longer exclusively through AA anymore and that the lock in tickets haven't sold out either to private members?

Can't manage to sell 300 "exclusive" tickets to a supposed 10,000+ member userbase?  #@#

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
Come on guys, if you have an issue with the expo, start a new thread
No need to hijack a sponsors message

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
I dont pretend to understand what happened between these two forums, nor do I care! let it go please for the sake of us newbies that enjoy the hobby and enjoy PINBALL in general. I don't want to be soured by past activities and bad feelings amongst the broader pinball community.
I use this forum a lot more then the others, but , I am not restricted to solely use it and don't ant to be ostracised by my participation in other forums.
I don't recollect seeing any bagging from any of the other forums about us and hope not to in the future.

Back on topic though, would love to see heaps of machines in one place to play one day, though this is nay on impossible for me unfortunately, but am lucky enough to know some fellow freaks in WA

Thanks for posting about PINBALL MEMORIES as I was unaware of your company, thank you. GOOD LUCK Dude
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »

In discussion with Strangeways, given that the tickets now seem to have become public in the last few days, and the comments made on a sponsors thread announcing his attendance, we thought it best to post this thread and move some of those comments here as it is unfair on the sponsor to have some of the comments in his thread.

Feel free to comment on the "Expo" here, we have added the off topic posts to this thread.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
I dont pretend to understand what happened between these two forums, nor do I care! let it go please for the sake of us newbies that enjoy the hobby and enjoy PINBALL in general. I don't want to be soured by past activities and bad feelings amongst the broader pinball community.
I use this forum a lot more then the others, but , I am not restricted to solely use it and don't ant to be ostracised by my participation in other forums.
I don't recollect seeing any bagging from any of the other forums about us and hope not to in the future.

Back on topic though, would love to see heaps of machines in one place to play one day, though this is nay on impossible for me unfortunately, but am lucky enough to know some fellow freaks in WA

Thanks for posting about PINBALL MEMORIES as I was unaware of your company, thank you. GOOD LUCK Dude

Hey..sorry Oldskool.. didn't mean to upset anyone with my posting. But the event until now has been solely an AA affair and if you were not a member, you couldn't buy any tickets including the lock in and entry. When Oscar posted this morning, id assumed that he had been given permission to do so as the post is a cut and paste.
My thoughts were "why so late in the day is it an official post on here when its clearly not an open forum event"..

Anyway mate.. hope you enjoy the day and get to play the games you want to.. go have a ball pal!!!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »
It's a pity there is exclusivity issues between forums as everyone is here for the same thing, to enjoy their amusement games.
Personally I wasn't aware of it.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »
The forum vs forum thing is dumb
most of us don't care, but there are a small handful that need to grow up

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »

The issue isn't as simplistic as you are trying to make it appear.  ()

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:29:08 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »

The issue isn't as simplistic as you are trying to make it appear.  ()

maybe, but one thorn has disappeared lately

Mmm.. cryptic stuff eh??

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
Is it $30 per day per person or just $30 unlimited entry.....

You can't blame people for turning their noses up because it wasn't advertised or even offered to AP members in the past.... I support Oscar, I have bought pinballs from him and I support the fact he and his family have heavily invested in the pinball industry, have made a decent business of it, and has put a lot of pinballs into a lot of people's houses, BUT it's not about that. It's about the various functions that are advertised for only one forum member base and tickets only offered previously to one set of people only.
People complaining about discriminatory behaviour have every right to mention it if they feel so.
The only way discrimination goes away is if its dragged out into the light of day.

I know one thing, if AP ever did a expo style deal, they certainly wouldn't do the isolation style ticket offerings.
I don't think anyone on here is that stupid or narrow minded.

Most people I know don't even admit to even being a member on a forum when they go to a pinball meet, being worried that they get the " oh your on that forum are you" type comments.
The divisions between the forums will only continue sadly whilst events are only offered to one body of people and not openly shared with a totally open invitation to all pinheads regardless of forum membership.

If u are going to invite people, invite everyone and advertise it on both forums. Simples.
OR run the risk of being seen as discriminatory. Is that too much to ask for in 2014 and 2015.

I know Nick n Nino have always tried to bridge the gap, but it seems that they and others always seem to call on deaf ears. I support AP because AP treats me and all its members equally.
Proud to be a pinhead on a site that encourages open- ness and individuality whilst also supporting the member base as a tight knit team.

Anyone is welcome on AP. And I am sure if AP ran a expo, anyone and everyone would be welcomed from day one, not when there are tickets left over only.
Where the Penrith thing falls over, is that you lose potentially hundreds of people who could attend because they don't belong to only one forum. Car companies selling cars advertise on all TV channels, not just one. Why limit your customer base. Food for thought.
I might be right, I might be wrong, but peace and harmony can only be achieved by treating everyone as welcomed equals...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:29:02 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

Most people I know don't even admit to even being a member on a forum when they go to a pinball meet, being worried that they get the " oh your on that forum are you" type comments.
The divisions between the forums will only continue sadly whilst events are only offered to one body of people and not openly shared with a totally open invitation to all pinheads regardless of forum membership.

I spam it up on both forums