Author Topic: OT.. Anyone know about classic car compliance in QLD???  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
OT.. Anyone know about classic car compliance in QLD???
« on: December 30, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Holiday season, so the people I need to talk to at RTA aren't there till way after the new year..

..My question is though, that im off to look at a 1961 classic British convertible sports car. Car has previously been registered to a club but that has elapsed so a new registration is required.
Being a 1961 model it was NOT fitted with seat belts as they were not regulation back then. Law in England is that anything pre 1962 that did not have seat belts is not required to have them retro fitted. Post 1962 seat belts are compulsory.
I cant seem to get anyone to be able to tell me if I would require to have seat belts fitted or not to pass registration as a ROAD vehicle.
Anyone have a classic car and is knowledgeable in this area?

Offline guyricho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Holiday season, so the people I need to talk to at RTA aren't there till way after the new year..

..My question is though, that im off to look at a 1961 classic British convertible sports car. Car has previously been registered to a club but that has elapsed so a new registration is required.
Being a 1961 model it was NOT fitted with seat belts as they were not regulation back then. Law in England is that anything pre 1962 that did not have seat belts is not required to have them retro fitted. Post 1962 seat belts are compulsory.
I cant seem to get anyone to be able to tell me if I would require to have seat belts fitted or not to pass registration as a ROAD vehicle.
Anyone have a classic car and is knowledgeable in this area?

There was a law that voided you of needing rear seat belts, but I am unsure if that has changed or not now. !@#

Having owned classics my self I know what you are talking about but I have never bothered to explore what those laws are because I have opted for the safety of seat-belt, even though they were lap belts in the rear, which I know you could get away with due to its age.

So I have had belts fitted and had compliance plates added for QLD rego.
one reason was safety and also so I didnt ever have to argue the case to the transport department (which will probably get you no where)  &^&

Installing belts isn't that hard and rather easy to get past compliance, if that helps?  ^^^

Regards Rich

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
When I was growing up my father was heavily into restoring vintage cars (and still is) and I have many memories of sliding around in back seats of 1930's vehicles due to there being no seatbelts fitted. We also used to get pulled over regularly when out in our 1970 HG Brougham, as it too had no rear seatbelts - but there was nothing that the Police could do as it was ADR (Australian Design Rule) compliant.

As far as I am aware - and please someone correct me if I'm wrong - that if the vehicle was not originally built with seatbelts as specified on the compliance plate (i.e. ADR's), then they do not need to be retrofitted for registration.

If you were to fit seatbelts as Guyricho did, you would have to have it inspected and approved by an engineer as you are fitting 'non-standard equipment'. The vehicles compliance plate would have to be modified to reflect this, and you would be forever bound to have seatbelts fitted.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Thank you guys...if its not that hard to fit seat belts then ill stop stressing over it. Being a convertible of 1961 there are no front seat belts either and I must admit, I don't feel right without one on.
Time to talk to a mechanic me thinks

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
So what's the car Gav?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
1961 Karmann ghia that Dad and I restored and re registered in 2010 passed without any seat belts. The car was manufactured without seat belts. It was recommended that we install them, but we still were able to register the car.

Laws may be different in each state.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
My mum works for Qld Transport.
It's illegal to drive a motor vehicle on any Qld Govt roads without wearing a seatbelt.

Even if it were legal, who would want to drive without wearing a seatbelt and risk death or disablement by being unbelted. Too many idiots who can't drive on the roads. Get some belts installed for little money and stay alive.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Laws are quite different state to state. When I got mine road registered it was quite strict in Vic, not sure what its like these days. The car had no speedo (still doesn't) as that was only considered a "driver assistance device) until 1986 believe it or not.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Thanks everyone. Had a few PM's regarding this also and it seems that so long as seat belts aren't on it, its OK to not have them for compliance.
My main concern was buying a car and not being able to drive on the road and have a shiny lump sitting in a garage doing nothing!

This is the very car... been after one for years!

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
Thank you guys...if its not that hard to fit seat belts then ill stop stressing over it. Being a convertible of 1961 there are no front seat belts either and I must admit, I don't feel right without one on.
Time to talk to a mechanic me thinks

have a look at your floor most of the 50-60's cars had provisions for seat belts, some cars had it as an option,
You may find it has the mounting points already, if so you wont need to have them engineered.

It is really when you have to make new mounting points you will need it to be engineered.

But really no cop will check to see if you have your seat belts engineered, you would more likely get pulled over for having no seat belts than you would for having seat belts.
As the other poster said it would get rather tiresome being pulled over all the time even if it is legal  #@#

I Had mine checked by an engineer for insurance purpose mostly in case of a crash with some one using my backseats.

warning though it will cost you around $350 for the guy to check and write you a plate.

P.s make sure you buy Aus standard belts or you wont pass the inspection.

Best of luck  ^^^

Regards Rich
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:57:04 PM by guyricho »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Thanks Rich,
Chances are it does have provision for them as its only 1 year before they were introduced as standard... will look at the options once i see the car in person

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
Thanks Rich,
Chances are it does have provision for them as its only 1 year before they were introduced as standard... will look at the options once i see the car in person

Well with any luck it does.

If so it isnt very hard to fit the belts and there will be no need for engineering as long as the belts are Aus standard.
Repco sell a brand of lap belts kits called  "Restraint Technology Australia" they are good belts and I think it only set me back about $60 a side.
and your talking two bolts to install.

Just look for some threaded bolt holes on the floor under the carpet
or maybe google if that model had seat belts as an option

Regards Rich

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
If you need any information about any of this you won't find a nicer bloke than Dave Walsh. He is in Lapis St at Underwood  3290 2177

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
If you need any information about any of this you won't find a nicer bloke than Dave Walsh. He is in Lapis St at Underwood  3290 2177

Thank you... had a PM pointing me in Dave's direction already. Seems he is the man! I really appreciate everyone's input..

Gav