Author Topic: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production  (Read 57698 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
I fully agree with Brunswick Brawler. 100%

I am not rich, but richer in other ways. I have an old house, old car, old phone old body and old school ethics.
But I am at the beach almost every day.
Life for me is tough, but enjoyable. I am selling a few machines to get this as I ALWAYS wanted an original, funny theme and it is totally retro which is a bonus. All other titles that some other manufacturers have failed or dragged their feet, WHIZBANG and STERN stepped up to the plate and for this I am grateful.
Another bucket list ticked.
I have had a new car, tick and meh! New toys and meh!. New in box pinball-cooooooooool!!!!!!!!!! soon to be tick.
I will gladly let any one play it and will definitely posy some pics and reviews.
I have and probably will make stupid mistakes before. I am only human  %$%
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Good on ya mate. I always say, you only live once so enjoy everything while you can. I do not mind BJMs and think it is different enough to make it a fun and simple player. My only hesitancy is the price, but hey, that will make this title a rarity and more desirable amongst collectors in years to come.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
US distros are already offering discounted advertised pricing below Stern's MSRP.
http://www.gameroomguys.com/Games/New-Pinball-Machines/Whizbang-Whoa-Nellie-Pinball-Machine.html
6499 > 5999.

Looking forward to AMD following suit.  %.%

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:23:43 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
The above reason is exactly why I would wait two or three months before ordering because I would put money on it the price will most certainly drop in Australia as well.

I think it would be short sighted to assume Bruce from AMD won't pass any discounts or Stern price drops on to the end buyer.
If you had purchased multiple brand new Sterns from Bruce you would certainly know that many people have been offered discounted prices other than AMD,s advertised Recco retail price, without even asking for a discount.
Often, delivery and shaker motor prices have been heavily discounted or even forfeited again without even asking for it.
It would be pretty hard to get those deals for anyone who publically bags AMD etc.
After sales service from Bruce is also excellent.

I would say to anyone thinking of buying a new pin from AMD, go into it with a open mind because they are very accomodating.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
The above reason is exactly why AMD continue to get away with a monopolistic market distribution system for NIB pinballs in Australia and essentially adopt a tough luck attitude to pricing.

AMD will never be able to match the prices I can get imported NIBs for so I won't even waste my time with them.

I've made the mistake of using them for NIB purchases in the past and the best deals they can offer are a pittance compared to what the US guys offer (who actually have to work for the sale to stop their nearest competitor down the road getting your cash instead).

As long as AMD refuse to beat the landed price I can get BNIB pins for I will continue to bring in my own NIB pins for my own collection.

I recommend to any astute buyer who actually gives a damn about his hard earned money and is considering a NIB purchase to make inquiries about doing the same.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
For a start USA manufactured machines are not configured to work in Australia out of the box so buying machines from USA distributors is not a smart choice now because the previous work around HZ boards have not been made aftermarket for the brand new SPIKE Stern machines and their is no guarrantee that the old work around will work in the future. Even with the previous HZ board work arounds, this was not something that just anyone could do or even knew about.

So your advice for supposedly astute buyers of brand new Stern pinballs is flawed and secondly you have failed to point out to new buyers that there is no warranty for people who buy machines from USA distributors.

Then there is the massive amount of knowledge and complicated details of importation and all the financial dangers which come with it, not to mention all the paperwork and customs rules and regulations and the severe costs if things go wrong. Then the average person without knowledge has to trust a distributor he has never met will send the product. I have done it before and it was a massive undertaking but it was other arcade items that could not be purchased brand new or second hand in Australia.
I looked at the Stern pinball product from the USA distributors and the savings were in the hundreds not the thousands.
Suggesting people should import directly without detailing all the hazards is irresponsible in my view.

Another thing which you keep saying is AMD have a monopoly.
There have been up to five different agents in the past thru AMD and competition and competitive pricing from different agents produced competitive pricing. Yes, there are less agents now but it's a free market and any company can become a Stern agent thru AMD.

Also, there is no law that says AMD can and will be the only distributor for Stern forever.
If an Australian company contacted Stern and sought to import the appropriate numbers, Stern will not say No.
I know this personally from discussions I had with Stern in the past.

Pinsanity, why don't you post the exact costings on buying a brand new Stern WWE Wrestling Pin from a USA distributor, list every importation cost incl freight and customs costs, taxes and gst and then freight from the airport and sea freight terminal etc etc etc etc, and do a exact cost to cost comparison from doing your alleged astute way versus buying from AMD. Show the members of the forum the exact savings they can expect.
Putting your money where your mouth is so to speak.

If it's such a simple and cost effective astute choice to make for brand new in box buyers, it should be so easily backed up with your facts and figures.
Without the above, I would say your advice is hollow and infact not such great advice after all.
I am betting you won't be able or willing to provide the detailed cost to cost exact comparisons. Which can be easily checked and confirmed by any forum member.

I would love to be corrected by seeing your shared and public costings.
Share away since it's such a great idea and such a saving to buy from the USA and not from the Australian Stern agent.

Don't forget to explain the no warranty and the fact that you have absolutely no knowledge or guarrantee that the new SPIKE system will even work here if it's a USA built for USA domestic markets only machine.

Please explain and publically cost away.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:16:59 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Problem with waiting Cavey is that if you don't show interest in a new pin (WNBJM) now I doubt AMD will order so potentially advising those to sit and wait a few months is risky due to the potential low manufacturing numbers. Stern won't want to hold stock as they will want the distros to hold it so all depends if AMD take the minimum order size only or minimum plus a few. I am not supporting AMD prices nor people to rush in but AMD only place a certain sized order based on interest.

Also they only offer discounts to those that have purchased multiple NIB's.

If they only make 300 machines that is roughly just a weeks manufacturing and I know they have been manufacturing some this week as pretty sure the Texas show is on this weekend in which based on that video they are taking 5 machines so it will be interesting the feedback from that - if it is over priced, people love it, if the hype turns around.....  Hopefully AMD place their order after the Texas show to see if Stern lower the price a little and pass that on to the guys that have locked in already.

Edit - just saw on Pinside that gameroomguys price includes free shipping so call it $750 below the MSRP not including freight and they are a retailer not a distro.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:53:16 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
AMD will only get a small amount due to only 300 world wide I'd say  *%* it's really growing on me its so unique  ^^^ they should hold there value being so limited but it's pinball so who knows lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:48:47 AM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
I am getting mine through Joe at Kids Just Wanna Have Fun in Perth ( where I live ) I am there almost every Monday night as he puts on a nibble and drinks and has all pinballs for people to play FOC!
We get to see the techs repair, tweek and investigate faults on pinballs/ arcades and know what goes into his after sales service. I believe in getting that feeling of assurance when buying through reputation, KJWHF is second to none.
Peace of mind is a better feeling than saving a few $. For me.
I and many others have bought multiple machines through Joe and Angela. You see it, you touch it, you play it and you ultimately walk away with it. The " astute " buyer may save initially, but I want simplicity and service.
Great place for second hand pinball and arcade machines for the second hand buyer too! You may pay more initially, you WILL save in the long run.

Advert for Joe is over  %.%
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
I've only met Joe once and I enjoyed the chat real genuine nice guy :) I'm like you I'd rather spend a few extra hundred dollars with zero risk and you get the after sales service and warranty :)

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
You do it your way, champ and I will do it mine.  #@#

The savings were in some cases in the four figure mark (i.e. thousands) so for me it was worth it.

Any buyer can purchase the Hz boards on the open market and install them easily with little technical knowledge and the new system given its simplicity will be even easier to find a workaround so this is not even an issue.

For me, the warranty is next to worthless given who you are dealing with domestically.

However, if buying locally fulfils your patriotic duty then so be it.

As I said make your own inquiries and you will see the significant cost savings difference between importing and simply accepting the local retailer price.

I can certainly understand though oldskool wanting peace of mind and decent aftersales service that is why he cannot go wrong with Joe at KJWHF. I would recommend him as well.

Edit - just saw on Pinside that gameroomguys price includes free shipping so call it $750 below the MSRP not including freight and they are a retailer not a distro.

Spot on swinks. I added GRG to show how they operate over there compared to what we have here.

Distro prices in the US are even more competitive. Plus there is the MAP requirement that Stern have set so any deals made privately will be even better.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:29:44 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
I knew you couldn't come up with the real figures champ. Lol
So your advice without figures was worth zero. Lol. It's OK, I know it won't worry you that you didn't or couldn't share those financial savings. If u make big claims you should back them up. But it's a free country. You didn't have to take up my challenge. It's ok to fail. Lol
And still no guarrantee that the new SPIKE system will have a work around.

The 300 only is still only a rumour. Maybe it's the initial run which will sell out but the next 300 May sit around. Who knows. But I am glad some members are buying cause seeing people happy on new pin day is excellent.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
You just don't get it though, champ. Your demand is less a challenge and more a case of quid pro quo.

There is no benefit for me in acceding to your demands and publicly proving you wrong.

History has shown you to be incorrect many times before on this forum and to be proved wrong by others and it has had absolutely zero effect in changing your personality for the better. In fact, it actually makes it worse and the entire forum ends up paying for it.

Ergo, doing it once more will achieve nothing and result in no tangible benefit.

That is why I said you keep doing it your way and I will continue to do it mine.

For the record, I am more than happy to share details privately with genuinely interested parties and point them in the right direction.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:25:50 PM by pinsanity »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Righto Caveoftreasures and Pinsanity- good points made by each of you, but time to take any further discussion off the forum (if you guys want to continue this line) as both of you have made your position clear, and there is a risk of this deteriorating now into a personality thing, and that is not necessary.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
I agree Nick.

No problems Mr Pinsanity. I respect your point of view. I don't agree with everything you say about me but I respect you have your own opinions and it is only right you also say what you think or feel.
If you didn't give it back to me as good as I can give it out then I wouldn't be a fair sport would I.
We are both passionate with our opinions. Perhaps I was too passionate.
I will cop your response on the chin. That's what a debate is all about.
If I offended you, I apologise. I shouldn't have stirred you up.
See, I am not perfect after all. No hard feelings mate.