Author Topic: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe  (Read 12101 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
Last pic for now.. backbox with glass installed. I've fitted the playfield for the time being, just to fire it up and test the game, The pf resto is yet to be done but i have to finish the Wildfyre pf first so i can use the jig.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:54:19 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »

Looks like a completely different backglass  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »
Hi guys just a quick update of the things done today...

The 1st pic shows a mod i did to the light board in the backbox. Note the chip board strips marked with the red arrows... the two lower strips used to be one long strip which went from left to right, blocking light from Mr Universe's head on the backglass. So i decided this was something i had to change.. now normally i dont like modifying games in this way too much, but i felt that this mod was definitely needed on THIS game. I cut and bent a piece of 20mm x 25mm angle aluminium strip to fit into the area where i'd cut out the chipboard light blocking strips. As an added bonus, there was already a hole drilled in the lightboard for a light socket behind Mr Universe's head, so i just need to fit a socket and lamp here so Mr Universe is fully lit!!

2nd and 3rd pics show the coin entry plate being painted. This is made from chrome plated plastic on this game, and the chrome was damaged and peeling off in places and looked like crap (didnt get any pics of this damage). So what i did was to sand the coin entry plate back with 220 grit sandpaper and spray on some acrylic etch primer I did about three coats, sanding back between coats, then spraying on some silver acrylic. hopefully the etch primer and silver will stay put and not peel off, otherwise i'll have to try to find another Zac coin entry plate. I masked off the area with the name as the chrome there was still in good nick.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:47:58 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »
More pics.. this time the shooter assembly cleaned resleeved and reinstalled, and the start of the coin door assembly.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »
Wow !!! Looking absolutely supurb Mitch  ^^^
There aren't many Zac EM games around far as I am aware .. and I reckon yours must surely be No 1 now as far as looks go.  ^^^

I'll have to see what I can do to tidy up my Zac Moonflight EM on of these days .. though its in pretty good shape already.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »

Looking good - Whats the hole directly above the barrel lock ? Some sort of Free Play button ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »

Looking good - Whats the hole directly above the barrel lock ? Some sort of Free Play button ?

I have no idea what that hole was put there for.. possibly did have a button there at some stage !@# (i HATE people who do crap like that)

the only practical thing i could think to do was to put the black rubber grommet in there.. looks better than a big ugly hole in the door!

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
A link I remembered from Zaccaria-Pinball.com

Rechroming and repairing coin bezels

http://zaccaria-pinball.com/projects/bezel/index.html

Neat article.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
A link I remembered from Zaccaria-Pinball.com

Rechroming and repairing coin bezels

http://zaccaria-pinball.com/projects/bezel/index.html

Neat article.

Cool thanks for the link ^^^ VERY interesting.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
Hi guys, i've been busy working on the coin door mechanics, nearly done and thought it was time i posted another update.

I rebuilt the coin switch actuator lever and switch.. i say "switch" as the game had one complete mech missing, and its switch lever and brackets removed. I brought home an old WMS superstar coin door last weekend to raid the missing parts from. but before then i'd removed, cleaned and rebuilt the one switch and lever assembly that was on this game. As can be seen in the pics it was pretty mangled up. I like to have all the coin mechs operational in my games, if possible that is. The wire on the switch actuator i made from a spring, i bent it out straight and re-bent it to the required shape, i copied it from my Klondike coin door to get the shape correct.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Here is the Williams Superstar coin door im raiding the missing parts from. Notice in the 3rd pic, the original plastic coin reject chute.. its been melted, just how this happened (or why) is a complete mystery. and the last pic is the same part from the Wms coin door, made from die cast aluminium, that i used to replace the melted original

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2010, 10:29:28 PM »
and here are the parts after having been cleaned, polished and/or painted. i polished up the aluminium reject chute, and cleaned and painted the steel parts with hammertone paint.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
more pics.. this time the reject button components, getting the paint n polish treatment

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
None of the coin entry plastic bezels were good enough to use, (imo anyway) so i decided to make up some new ones. So what i did was so scan the ones pictured here in the 1st pic, tidy the images up in Photostudio and reverse print them onto clear adhesive. While the ink was drying on the decals, i cut out some pieces of polycarbonate plastic for the new plastic bezel pieces, (2nd pic shows one of them being test fitted with the nylon coin entry sleeve.

I made a fair few of the decals an you can see.. just in case i screwed up and had to start again :lol
Once the decals were stuck onto the plastic i placed some white adhesive label over the main decal to diffuse the light and to protect the decal ink.

last pic shows the end result

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »
That door looks Great Mitch this machine will look new by the time your finished with it.

I might have to get a copy of your images for the coin entries they turned out really well  ^^^