Author Topic: Afternoon fun  (Read 782 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Afternoon fun
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:36 PM »
Yesterday, i had 7 people descend on my games room. They were stuck for something to do and rang to ask if they could come round and play my games. None of them have been round before.

Ive got 8 fully working pins set up, a Midway Monster Gun, pool table, 48 in 1 arcade low boy.

Every machine was on as was the oil wheel for psychedelic lighting. Their faces lit up when they saw all the games and flashing lights. I did the tour - naming each game, its history and year of manufacture etc.
The Monster Gun still takes coins and the 6 year old took great delight in feeding the supplied 10c coins and shooting the monsters.

At one point, i went outside in the yard and all i could hear was laughter and DING DING DING etc.

The noise was amazing and brought the biggest smile to my face. having your own arcade is THE MOST SATISFYING thing ever. Lots of hard work gone into getting them all running, but when 7 people are all playing their own machine of choice, having the best time and filling the air with the sounds of fun, you know youve done a damn good thing.

Bloody hell - this is the BEST hobby!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Afternoon fun
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:06:41 AM »
Great post! I remember when I had the room fully set up a similar thing with the kids of my sister and my two little girls!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »
Yeah - as a collector and a player, there is nothing like the sound of 4-5 machines 'going off' with happy players *%*

Reconfirms why you love the hobby.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
Nice one! ^^^

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »
You gotta love the sound of an arcade, and luckily you can hear it as often as you like with an awesome setup like that!  #*#

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »

My nieces and nephews LOVE playing the pins I have set up.. Even my sisters and in laws comments on how much fun they used to have "wagging school" to play pins at the local arcade...

It is always GREAT to hear these stories about people's collections..

Gav - EIGHT machines ?  You've done a GREAT JOB getting those oldies ready to be played. Well done  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:14:36 PM »
Excellent Gav,

Would totally agree the most joy these old games give is to watch people play and hear the different experiences they have had in the past.

You know the line "oh I remember playing this one....."

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »
I have eleven machines set up in my garage... all but one fully restored, and one in my lounge room. Definitely the most rewarding part of this hobby for me, is seeing others getting enjoyment out of the games i put so much time and expense into. The most i've had so far was seven machines being played at the same time! Its a wonder my neighbours dont hate me..lol.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
I have eleven machines set up in my garage... all but one fully restored, and one in my lounge room. Definitely the most rewarding part of this hobby for me, is seeing others getting enjoyment out of the games i put so much time and expense into. The most i've had so far was seven machines being played at the same time! Its a wonder my neighbours dont hate me..lol.

It's more surprising that the neighbors are not over your place every day !!

My Garage is FULL of projects... and I have holidays coming up soon  && && &&
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia