Author Topic: How do you move machines around when you purchase them???  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Signal1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
How do you move machines around when you purchase them???
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:20:14 PM »
Im new to all this and now the bug has bitten am on the lookout for a few more machines....my question is how to do you move them on and off the trailer/ute etc when purchasing and unloading?   The pickup of the machine I just bought must of looked like something out of "Faulty Towers", we had 4 big blokes holding the machine in the air while the sellers wife (slowly) undid one of the rear legs so that corner could sit in the trailer, then repeated the process for the remaining legs...didn't realise the back-box thing is supposed to come off so put it in the trailer complete without legs..problem here was the lock for the back box was loose so the front door would of kept opening....no problem out here on remote rural roads, I just got my mate to stand in the box trailer and hold the door closed while I drove slowly home (obviously this isn't going to work if I have to travel to Melbourne or Canberra for pickup)...when home it was a reverse of the process...slide one corner of machine just out of trailer and bolt on leg...etc etc

I now realise you take the back box off...but as far as the rest, do I buy one of the motorbike scissor lifts that I see on ebay and sitting underneath some of the machines pictured on this site?

thanks

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
put a piece of heavy cardboard in the trailer
slide in coin door first
I use a furniture trolley to move game from trailer to the shed
I use an lifting table to then lift the game so I can put on the legs

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
I have one of these at home, makes life much easier.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/J048

Just have to hope they also have one at the other end.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
I have found sitting the pinny up on 2 cheapo saw horses from Bunnings is a cheap and easy thing to use when you need to take the legs off and on.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
When moving any Pinny in a trailer or a ute, place two or three old tyres on the flat surface, place plastic tarp on top, wrap pinny so as to keep wind and rain out and use tie downs.

The old tyres (free from tyre places cause they are bald or $10 each at tops) act as huge rubber shock absorbers allowing all the shaking and banging to be dissipated and your pin can be transported for a mile or a thousand miles without anything shaking loose.
Transported many pins this way for drop offs n pick ups and never even had a fuse or plug wobble loose.
For legs on, pinball skates are perfect.
For moving and lifting pins the foot pump red lifters are sensational.
Machine should go into a trailer head box first up against cab or head of trailer to make the load more aero dynamic.
ie - machine head catches too much win at the back n not the front.

I like to place large rubber mat on base cause pin won't slide on rubber real well but easy to move by opening coin door at back and lift a tad whilst you slide.
Tie downs always best if you cover pinny edges in rubber carpet foam. Cheap from Bunnings.
With Coindoor facing back and at back, you can place inside legs etc only if u wrap them first in carpet rubber underlay and tape down with gaffs tape so legs don't move inside machine.

That's advice after 7 plus years of moving dozens of pinnies all over Qld and other states when I felt like going on a hunting or delivery mission.
Always take balls out of machine. Again wrap in rubber carpet underlay.
Tape keys on top of lockdown bar.

Away she goes all safe and accessible and waterproof and shockproof and thief proof while at Gas/food stations cause the pinball is covered in a blue waterproof tarp. Have fun with it !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
If you go by the original instructions that come with the machines, for assembly you are supposed to stand the machine on it's back and bolt on the front legs, then lower the front down and with an assistant lift the back to bolt on the rear legs, then fit the headbox.

A reverse of that will enable you to move the machine around with a sack truck.

1. Remove the balls.
2. Place a piece of cardboard over the playfield glass.
3. Remove the headbox bolts and lay the headbox on the cardboard.
4. Strap the headbox to the main cabinet.
5. Remove the rear legs
6. Stand the machine on it's back and remove the front legs.

You can now move it around very easy with a sack truck.

If you want to lay it down in a trailer you can lower the sack truck onto it's handle then with assistance lift the machine straight up onto the trailer.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Support rear of machine on any stand (refer pict), remove rear legs, slide machine halfway on carrier floor,remove front legs,slide the rest of the cabinet onto the floor,headbox down.

or use a hydraulic jack

or use a hydraulic jack
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:17:28 AM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Tilt machine up on its front legs, remove back legs.

Lift back of machine onto trailer or ute, and place piece of dowel or old broom handle under machine. 

Then use dowel as a roller to roll machine along, until it can sit on its own weight before removing front legs an roll the rest of the way.  Of course, tarp or cardboard underneath can protect it.

Then removal is easy and a 1 person job if you have a lifter at the other end - simply roll off, put front legs on while just hanging off the trailer, continue to roll onto lift trolley, pump up and install back legs

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Support rear of machine on any stand (refer pict), remove rear legs, slide machine halfway on carrier floor,remove front legs,slide the rest of the cabinet onto the floor,headbox down.

or use a hydraulic jack

or use a hydraulic jack

I can't believe you can fit your pins into a mirage. I congratulate you sir  @@*
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
There is a thread on fitting pinballs in various vehicles:
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10747.0
I must say, the Mirage is more than a mirage.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Lots of great suggestions here .. when putting legs on/off I too use saw horses .
When transporting pins I have used both the wooden roller idea and a sheet of timber to slide pin in/out back of station wagon or hatchback.

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW

It is impressive - I'd like a shot of how far forward the front seats are. Is it only possible with "dial-a-dwarf"?

After many back-breaking episodes I concluded I either need a mate over every time I move a pin, or I needed a lift trolley. Both are fine but the latter helps me drink less beer & well worth the $$. Saw horses etc are all good if just lifting it to remove legs etc but even then the lift trolley makes it easier.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:09:44 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Blktgr74

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
2 milk crates under back of the pin. Lower the back box (or remove). Then strap back box down wit motorcycle tie down strap. Take back legs off. Lift and lower (kick out milk crates). Lift up the front till it sits on its back and take off front legs then its easy to move with a sack truck.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia

It is impressive - I'd like a shot of how far forward the front seats are. Is it only possible with "dial-a-dwarf"?

After many back-breaking episodes I concluded I either need a mate over every time I move a pin, or I needed a lift trolley. Both are fine but the latter helps me drink less beer & well worth the $$. Saw horses etc are all good if just lifting it to remove legs etc but even then the lift trolley makes it easier.

Yes, I am short and only can manage an EM & a Bingo Head

pinballaustralia.com

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW

Yes, I am short and only can manage an EM & a Bingo Head

Still incredible - thanks heaps for the pic!! You should send Mitsubishi that shot.