Author Topic: Stern KISS LE Review  (Read 18037 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern KISS LE Review
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »
Great review Nino :) 9.5 gee Stern would be very happy with that score. Yours seems to have avoided any real issues which is fantastic-QC seems to be an issue with all pinball manufacturers reading pinside and when your making 90% of the games statistics say your have more issues. Glad your happy 3 ball or 5 ball?

LE is set for 3 ball. Pro is currently 5 ball. No real reason.

Yesterday I "somehow" achieved a bonus multiplier. no idea how, but I had the "2X" lit during play and awarded after the ball.

I have an issue where the sound cuts out randomly. Could just need the code updated - but V1.05 only offers support to the validator and topper !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
Great review Nino :) 9.5 gee Stern would be very happy with that score. Yours seems to have avoided any real issues which is fantastic-QC seems to be an issue with all pinball manufacturers reading pinside and when your making 90% of the games statistics say your have more issues. Glad your happy 3 ball or 5 ball?

LE is set for 3 ball. Pro is currently 5 ball. No real reason.

Yesterday I "somehow" achieved a bonus multiplier. no idea how, but I had the "2X" lit during play and awarded after the ball.

I have an issue where the sound cuts out randomly. Could just need the code updated - but V1.05 only offers support to the validator and topper !

Yeah sound cutting out happened after V1.04 dropped I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. Backstage pass can award 2X bonus.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:01:43 PM »
Nino, really appreciate your review, but have to say I am surprised (perhaps shocked) at you giving the soundtrack 10/10 given your earlier comments on the pin using the tribute band recordings. What's the deal here? How can it be perfection?

Covered that in the review - although I reviewed the SOUND, not the SOUNDTRACK;

Sounds

Unreal. Sounds like a stereo system. Turned it up all the way and i had the neighbours drop in ! AMAZING quality. The VERSIONS of the song were my biggest gripe, but it has more to do with what Stern was permitted to do with the license. Given tracks were from the early albums, the production from album to album was not uniform at all. KISS fans know that "Hotter than Hell" sounds like it was recorded in a basement, and "Creatures of the Night" has a missive Bonham drum sound. The re recordings of the tribute line up means ALL the songs sound uniform in terms of qulity and production. they lack the "vibe" of the original recordings, but I'm happy with it. The call outs are from Gene and Paul. Would have loved Ace or Peter's voice.

I know for a fact Stern were only allowed to use the re recorded tracks that were recorded for an obscure Japanese album. This was done to avoid paying Ace and Peter a performance royalty. The songs "Love it Load" and "Lick It Up" were not recorded by the original line up - which the pinball is paying tribute to. Both songs were written by Vinnie Vincent who signed over his songwriting credits to KISS many years ago.

To elaborate on my point regarding the soundtrack, here the point I'm trying to make ;

This is the original studio version of "Hotter than Hell"

Background - This was KISS' second album released in 1974. Probably their heaviest album with the original line up, the production is easily KISS' worst effort. It sounds like it was recorded in a basement (not far from the truth). But some of the songs are absolute classics. My AP name is named after the song "Strangeways", which has a long story.. Suffice to say, many grunge bands look back at this album as a point of influence.

Here's the re recorded cover version

Uninspiring. Going through the motions. But better production.

I Love It Loud

Original version has an absolute MONSTER sound. Drumming on this album is bonham like.

Re recorded rubbish

Black Diamond

From the debut album. This is "the" song that you hear the chemistry between the original four. The production is far superior than the album that follows (Hotter than Hell)

Re recorded version ;

It is not too bad - Until Eric starts singing. Peter is 100 times what Eric is as a singer.

If you listen to the disparity in production of the three original recordings, you can see my point. The production is too far apart. The re recordings have the same production - so they fit in with the pinball and make perfect sense. they are TERRIBLE re recordings as they lack the vibe and chemistry of the original.

There are TONS of better tribute bands that have recorded better versions than the tribute band current tourings. But I digress..

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
Doesn't feel/play like a Stern comment gave me a bit of a laugh. I think that's the fanatical KISS mind clouding your judgement. Certainly doesn't have any different feeling as far as I'm concerned. B/W to Stern, yes, Stern to Stern, no.

It's a very good all round package, but far from the likes of LOTR, Spiderman and Metallica as far as I'm concerned. Cabinet art is the biggest let down. Playfield , BG very good, gameplay good, cab art is terrible.

Actually, you would be "laughing" a lot with the feedback I'm receiving.

Stern collector (not a KISS fan and no interest in the game due to the theme). Again, first comments was along the lines that it does not play like the recent Sterns Although he has not played a Wrestlemainia as yet.

Had a KISS fan play the game yesterday (owns only the 1978 Game I'm restoring in a 2 years time) and he loved the machine. Noticed the difference between TWD Pro and KISS Pro - more "clutter" on TWD.

My LE is at home now and the kids are loving it.

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
I said the same thing when I played Nino's last week.
I think it's the new spike system.
I reason it pulses the coils differently.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »
Not a fan of the game, but the concert last week pretty good for a bunch of old fellas.

Simmons voice has held up well over the years, Stanley's not so much - could barely hear him for the opening number Detroit Rock City.

Plenty of pyrotechnics/theatrics as always to compensate for that though.

Any Melb/Perth/Sydney members make it to the concert? What did you think?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »
Not a fan of the game, but the concert last week pretty good for a bunch of old fellas.

Simmons voice has held up well over the years, Stanley's not so much - could barely hear him for the opening number Detroit Rock City.

Plenty of pyrotechnics/theatrics as always to compensate for that though.

Any Melb/Perth/Sydney members make it to the concert? What did you think?

I didn't go as I've seen this coverband  version a few times and they are simply going through the motions. Credit to them - they still put on a better performance than most artists half their age. Most of the current setlist is from the original 6 studio albums. I always say to people that if you have never seen KISS, then you HAVE to go - just for the experience.

Three of my favorite singers are Paul Stanley, David Coverdale and James Christian. If you think Stanley's voice is bad (it is - compared to 5 years ago), have a listen to any recent live Whitesnake show. That's a vocal decline !

As for the LE at home - it is taking a belting. Played every day. I'm anxiously waiting for code updates as it is really hard to pass 100 Million without the Demon multiball being achieved 3 times.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 11:48:54 PM »
I didn't go as I've seen this coverband  version a few times and they are simply going through the motions. Credit to them - they still put on a better performance than most artists half their age. 

Interesting observation. On the left hand side on stage behind Simmons position there was a black shower curtain type set up like a one person privacy screen.

From the front on position you had no idea what was behind it, but from my seated side on vantage point you could see there was a seat behind it and nothing else.

It was quite funny to watch Simmons quickly ducking behind the screen at regular intervals throughout the show for a sit down and quick kip.

Or maybe it was a grandpa power nap.  :lol

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 03:29:29 PM »
Excellent info Nino.
Your updates on this thread are great reading and informative.
The machine in person looks amazing.
Having a Pro and a LE side by side is as good as it gets.

I really like the play of TWDead and when u play a Kiss after the WDead, it does feel very different cause of the layouts but both feel n play beautifully.
I am hoping in a few years looking back u have a few more Stern titles.
Your son is very lucky to be able to share such a great experience with his dad like u did with yours.
That's the great story here for sure.

Let us know when u did your next code updates and what you think.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
I didn't go as I've seen this coverband  version a few times and they are simply going through the motions. Credit to them - they still put on a better performance than most artists half their age. 

Interesting observation. On the left hand side on stage behind Simmons position there was a black shower curtain type set up like a one person privacy screen.

From the front on position you had no idea what was behind it, but from my seated side on vantage point you could see there was a seat behind it and nothing else.

It was quite funny to watch Simmons quickly ducking behind the screen at regular intervals throughout the show for a sit down and quick kip.

Or maybe it was a grandpa power nap.  :lol

There are not many bands that have been around for 40+ years that can still deliver a decent show that is worth the money. The Rolling Stones have been around a fair bit longer, but they tour once every 5 years. AC/DC, Aerosmith and Black Sabbath do the same. KISS have toured almost every year since 1973. They don't wear Jeans and a T-Shirt - they wear costumes, platform boots and amongst other things, breath fire and put on a spectacle that not many bands in history can compare. I can't them going on for much longer, but I respect their longevity and contribution / influence on my life.

I played my LE for 2 hours tonight. Switched off "work mode" and played pinball. I'd love to remove my obvious bias of the theme and hear other people's opinion..

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern KISS LE Review
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »

Offline JohnBryce0712

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »
Great review nino. I have the pro and its a very nice package. It is quite challenging  i find as the extra ball is no gimme and starchild right ramp and right orbits are tight.

I am finding more dimpling on my kiss than my twd. My twd looks better than kiss and has played way more games. Weird

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »
Great review nino. I have the pro and its a very nice package. It is quite challenging  i find as the extra ball is no gimme and starchild right ramp and right orbits are tight.

I am finding more dimpling on my kiss than my twd. My twd looks better than kiss and has played way more games. Weird

One of the first things to do it drop the 4 KISS drop targets to lite the "front Row" left hand outlane save. I now understand why Stern collectors HANG on code updates. This game is fun, but needs more development.

My LE has 6 - 12 noticeable dimples. Had over 250 games. I can live with that. I'm going to add Cliffys over the weekend for the scoop and the shooter lane.

I did return to play TWD Pro - and there is a difference between the "feel" of the tables. In a good way. I'm REALLY pleased I have a KISS LE. I want to work on some mods soon..

Offline KBRI1700

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
i am a moderate Kiss fan, seen them in Concert 4 times.

The last time I saw them was Kiss Rocks Vegas - November 22 in 2014 (Hard Rock Hotel); brilliant show better than any Australian staged offerings I have seen.

Having played the PRO version, I feel something is missing from the game play. It could be code updates as alluded too earlier.

Stern titles don't engage me as they should something is missing; they generally have a cold clinical feel to them.

The have made some great machines AC/DC, Metallica and LOTR.

I make no preference to manufacturer but a table should have something that grabs you and Sterns as a general rule don't for me.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:14:33 AM by KBRI1700 »