Author Topic: Modifying a flat bed scanner for playfield and cabinet scanning  (Read 4514 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Hi guys.
I have finally got around to modifying my flat bed scanner to scan playfield decals and what not, I found i had to illuminate the insert to get a decent scan or else it is to dark, I only had to illuminate them slightly.

I started with a ' Canon FB 630U ' LIDE (led) Scanner which i have had for over 5 years, so they should be pretty cheap to buy second hand on ebay,
i had a quick look on ebay and there is a similar model with a starting bid of $5 and no bids.

The tools needed are a Rotary tool or similar device. (The rotary tool kit i bought from bunnings for $50, it had many bits that came with it and takes most of the dremil brand accesories) (see picture below.)
A couple of cut off wheels to suit the rotary tool.
A Stanley knife blade
A flat head and a #1 Philips head screw drivers.
A piece of coat hanger wire.
And Importantly a pair of saftey glasses + a face mask.

(I will upload this in stages so please be patient)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:28:08 PM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
First you will need to remove the Lid by bowing it slightly and uncliping it.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Next you need to pull it apart to remove the guts out of it.
Start by removing the sides of the plastic frame which hold the glass inplace.
These have a small clip holding them to the bottom part of the frame and are stuck to the glass using double sided tape.
You may need to run the stanley blade under them to cut the tape.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
This is going to be great keep up the good work beaky.  At any point do i get to use a big hammer and make breaking noises?

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
On the edge of my seat.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Once you have removed the two side pieces you will need to remove the glass.
next at the back of the scanner remove the small tab to gain access to the guide string ( not sure of the correct name)
Then gently lift the ribbon cable going to the scanning assembly, this is held to the plastic case with double sidded tape.
Then disconect the silver ribbon cable from the pcb.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:43:23 PM by Beaky »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Remove the green spacers from the ends of the scanning assembly
Next you will need to unhook the guide string from the case,carefully turn the unit upside down, use the piece of coathanger wire (i have used a different tool instead of the coat hanger wire)  to push the center of the grey plastic clip in while using the flat screwdriver to slide the clip across which will release it from the case.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:14:35 PM by Beaky »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Unhook the guide string & remove the scanning assembly and guide string from the unit.
Put this in a clean place and avoid getting any dirt on the tape that is on the cable and the case.

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

well done and  we will have to try this

$%$

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Disonnect the other ribbon cable from the pcb that goes to the small pcb at the front of the unit.
Peel the ribbon cable the same way as the other ribbon cable, it is attached to the case the same way.
Remove the screws holding the small pcb to the case and remove.
Cover the double sided tape residue with some backing paper from a sticker or contact then stick it down with some masking tape, this will prevent the residue from getting covered in crap.You will need this residue there to hold the ribbon cables in place when you put it back together.
Leave the guide bar in place, it doesn't seem to come out easily so i just left it in.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:15:55 PM by Beaky »

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Great work with the scanner mod - will be really interested to see some scans from this!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Mark a line across the back and cut it with the rotary tool.
Mark a line from your cut to the plastic on the sides and cut so the back piece of plastic which held the lid on comes off.
do the same for the front.
Remove the thin lip along both sides with a stanley knife. (This lip protrudes above the glass a fraction)
Clean off any burrs
Sit the glass in place and make sure that the glass is the highest part of the scanner.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
install front pcb.
Remove tape and paper.
Install large pcb, scanning bar, guide string & ribbon cables.
Clean glass and scanning assembly.
Install Glass and hold glass inplace with duct tape.
Make sure the tape doesn't sit in scanning area.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
And now you can scan just about anything.
i will upload  a couple of scanned playfield pics shortly.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Brilliant,looks a major modification -whats say I buy the scanner ,send it to you for modification with a fee for your troubles.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com