Author Topic: Pinball stencils : how many of you guys would buy them?  (Read 731 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Pinball stencils : how many of you guys would buy them?
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:50:40 AM »
Hi peoples
I am toying with the thought of buying a vinyl plotter to cut stencils for cabinets.
I will be respraying 3 cabinets to start off with and im sure to buy stencils for these im sure i would be looking at atleast $100 for each set of stencils. (if i am wrong sombody please correct me)
thats 300 bucks for a start and i intend doing more.
And the price of a plotter & software to do the job is $590 delivered.
i haven't added the cost of the vinyl but i can see my self spending more on stencils in the future than the cost of a plotter.

Just wondering if i buy one how many of you would be interested in purchasing stencils off me in the future?
I would need some photos to make them with of course.
I would also sell some on ebay at a higher price than what i would charge members of this forum.
Then i could also use it to make vinyl lettering on the side also.

Anyone interested in putting there 2 cents worth in please feel free.
Beaky
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
I would be interested in a set for my Gottlieb Picnic and Criss Cross from the late 1950s - can supply pix no worries.

You will need to keep this underground because of a certain pinball industry guy that thinks he is God. If you go public on this (eBay etc) he will jump up and down and act like a 3 year old and make all types of threats. If you want more info please PM me.

Good luck

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
I would definetly be interested in a set

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Hi peoples
I am toying with the thought of buying a vinyl plotter to cut stencils for cabinets.
I will be respraying 3 cabinets to start off with and im sure to buy stencils for these im sure i would be looking at atleast $100 for each set of stencils. (if i am wrong sombody please correct me)
i haven't added the cost of the vinyl but i can see my self spending more on stencils in the future than the cost of a plotter.

Just wondering if i buy one how many of you would be interested in purchasing stencils off me in the future?
I would also sell some on ebay at a higher price than what i would charge members of this forum.

Beaky

Plotter AND software to make stencils for $590??? - Never.
 If im wrong, then a plotter, drawing software, plus decent program to talk to your plotter have certainly come down in price. But it looks like you have one customer already and so im sure you could make it work.
 Make sure you post pics of Picnic and Criss Cross when they are done - these are 50's GTB machines and so you should be OK recreating these stencils.
 Best of luck to you!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Hi peoples

Beaky

Plotter AND software to make stencils for $590??? - Never.
 If im wrong, then a plotter, drawing software, plus decent program to talk to your plotter have certainly come down in price. But it looks like you have one customer already and so im sure you could make it work.
 Make sure you post pics of Picnic and Criss Cross when they are done - these are 50's GTB machines and so you should be OK recreating these stencils.
 Best of luck to you!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RABBIT-HX-720-VINYL-SIGN-CUTTER-PLOTTER-W-USB-BONUS_W0QQitemZ270384033377QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Printing_Equipment?hash=item270384033377&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
here is just one of them i was looking at
And yes they have come down in price, they used to be in the thousands of dollars range
looks like if i do i will have to keep it for us forum guys only.
dosen't matter though the main reason i will buy it is to do my pins & if i can help some of you guys out then thats a bounus
I just mentioned it to the misses and when i told her the price she was a bit freaked out but once i reminded her of how many stencils i need and how much they will cost she was fine with it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:04:23 AM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Go for it, and I reckon any one of us will be asking for a stencil sooner or later. Just keep the sensitive chat to PMs of course.
 *%*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Id be keen on some for marathon if they could be done?

Marty Machine

Sorry Beaky, anything vinyl cutter under $2k is JUNK! they'll work great for a few jobs, then you'll discover that hand-cutting is a better option  :lol
Been there, dont it long ago...

I've used and highly recommned Roland pirinters and cutters for years now, and just about to aquire a nice roland printer/cutter for $17k, (serious stuff for banner size prints ideal for pin stencils too).

As long as you keep your stencils CHEAP, you'll reap the rewards.
Most backyarders get too greedy and seem to undercut the retail market by only $10-20, which isn't an advantage to anyone.

If something out there cost $300, I'll selll mine for $25, simple as that.
MM.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
i have bought my plotter and it should be on its way on monday
i will be making a set of stencils for my jokerz first up, so it will be several weeks before i get the process right
when you guys order your stencils i will get you to take some pics and also do a trace of them on some tracing paper, that way i can make sure all sizes,line widths and shapes are correct.
And before i make the stencils i can plot them on some paper, lay the tracing over the ploted paper and insure that everything matches up.
then with the photos i can work out what will be cut out on each stencil.
if buy some chance something goes wrong when you are spraying them on to your cabinet you will be able to order individual stencils for that part of the cabinet.
also once i have made the art work i will not need tracings.

If you don't want to spray the stencils and you just want adhesive vinyl decals to stick on your cabinet i can make them to but you will need to paint the background color on your cabinet and then stick the vinyl shapes and lines on, if the paint is flaking or cracking they wont stick to well ( this won't be original but will look better than a flaking and scratched cabinet )

all stencil orders will need to be done by a pm.

Pricing will be calculated by the amount of materials used + postage & packaging costs + a bit on top for my time.

it is only available for ap members, i will not be selling on ebay.+ i will be doing these in my spare time so please don't expect them in a hurry.

feel free to comment here on this but if you want a set or price pm me (i still need to get prices on the stencil vinyl)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:00:09 PM by Beaky »

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
Hey beaky,

Can you print off any colour arcade artwork ??, sorry a bit off the topic??

600mm x 200mm marquee size or larger  ??

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
My brother in law supplys this sort of machinary and sold one to a father and son in Sydney whom told him they were making stencils for the Pinball collector restorer.  This was about 12-18months ago.  Im not sure whom it was that he sold the machine too thou?
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Hey beaky,

Can you print off any colour arcade artwork ??, sorry a bit off the topic??

600mm x 200mm marquee size or larger  ??

pretty sure i can.
do you want to illuminate it?
it will be made from vinyl though not printed directly on to paper
the way i would probably make it would be to supply a thin piece of acrylic and stick it to that, like an illuminated sign.
you would just have to remove the clear piece of perspex - glass that goes behind the marquee and put this one in place of it then put the front clear piece in place just as you would if you had the standard art work in there.
i would need to know the exact size of the marquee or you could send - bring me the back piece of glass - perspex out of the video game.
just email me the artwork or tell me what you want made up and i can email it back for your approval. ^^^

as far as going off topic your not its all got to do with the plotter.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:57:42 PM by Beaky »

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
cool I will do a measure up & email you the artwork file, the artwork is to suit a 20" lowboy cab.

Thanks for your help ^^^

Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
no problemo
after the plotter gets here i will get the prices on the vinyl.
i should be able to buy it by the meter.
it will take me a couple of weeks.
also could you measure the thickness of the back piece of acrylic / glass and let me know what thickness it is if you want me to supply it.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Yippy my plotter is here  #*# #*#
now to set it up and get it going