Author Topic: Stern Production Discussion  (Read 2796 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Stern Production Discussion
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:01:39 PM »
Only piecemeal production when one of their heavyweight customers puts in a custom order of <50 machines and then smaller global distros like AMD piggyback off that order to superficially boost the numbers. @@*

But when you have such limited overall numbers in production to begin with like Stern, you have to do whatever you can to keep the lines running as a stopgap measure. Even rerunning old titles during the increasingly frequent lulls (or should that be lols).  @@*

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:07:47 PM »
That's what I cannot understand why they don't lower the price, produce more and avoid doing ve's to keep a line going.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:53:28 PM »

Probably because they realise the current bubble is temporary so milk it while it lasts. Short term thinking really, but when you look at the median ages of the people who are at the upper hierarchy at Stern you can't blame them really for not considering the repercussions of their actions (pricing all but the most hardcore "home use only" devotees out of the hobby) and impact it will have on the next twenty years for pinball in the public mindset.

As an aside, it is slightly misleading to say that they are "still making title X". The reality is production on particular titles stops and restarts to fill customer orders as the demand becomes apparent via info from distros. And since Stern have admitted previously that 50 units of a title is sufficient for them to warrant putting a machine back on the line it gives you a baseline of the actual numbers involved. It certainly isn't the case that they are putting a machine back into production and then running off thousands more of them, that is for sure.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:11:42 AM »
People are making far too many assumptions regarding the Stern production process.

I had a conversation with the Vice President of Stern Production & Engineering amongst other hats he wears, and George Gomez taught me a lot. A lot of things about the business and the complexities of running multiple lines for multiple products which are all in high demand & then accomodating the different country models.

A lot of dealers are given lead times to give as many numbers as they can for certain titles and then the lines are filled with that product to make life efficient. Stern can run single item Orders no problems at all if need be but batch production is obviously more efficient.
Talking to guys directly like George or Steve or Gary or Jody can be educational and a great experience.
You leave with a great positive factual understanding of how things are happening right now at Stern.
That's why the pilgrimage to Stern can be a dream come true.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:14:33 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »
People are making far too many assumptions regarding the Stern production process.

I had a conversation with the Vice President of Stern Production & Engineering amongst other hats he wears, and George Gomez taught me a lot. A lot of things about the business and the complexities of running multiple lines for multiple products which are all in high demand & then accomodating the different country models.

A lot of dealers are given lead times to give as many numbers as they can for certain titles and then the lines are filled with that product to make life efficient. Stern can run single item Orders no problems at all if need be but batch production is obviously more efficient.
Talking to guys directly like George or Steve or Gary or Jody can be educational and a great experience.
You leave with a great positive factual understanding of how things are happening right now at Stern.

Pilgrimage?? Really?

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Pilgrimage?? Really?

I wouldn't take any of that post too seriously, Gav. We both know that by now.  *%*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:19:15 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

Pilgrimage?? Really?

Why not?

if you think that G Stern is a god, then going to the factory must be a religious experience

But if I had met god, i would not comeback saying that I was his best friend
people might think I was crazy

Offline KBRI1700

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »

Stern

adjective, sterner, sternest.

1.firm, strict, or uncompromising:
stern discipline.

2.hard, harsh, or severe:
a stern reprimand.

3.rigorous or austere; of an unpleasantly serious character:
stern times.

4.grim or forbidding in aspect:
a stern face.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:47:31 AM by KBRI1700 »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
Pilgrimage?? Really?

Why not?

if you think that G Stern is a god, then going to the factory must be a religious experience

But if I had met god, i would not comeback saying that I was his best friend
people might think I was crazy

Religious nutters are nearly always little more than self serving attention seekers via unverifiable claims of divine communication.

The claims only gain traction when gullible listeners get sucked into believing the delusions.

1917 Miracle of Fatima or 2016 Miracle of Fatiman?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Stern Production Discussion
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
There is only room for one pinball god and that's me. All others are the devil in disguise (hurry someone photoshop Gary with horns to prove my point). Follow me and I will lead you onto the Kingdom of Pin where you will frolic with 50 Virgins (well noobs that have never won a free game in their lives) and feast on hamburgers and pizza and beer for eternity. Please paypal any donations to me to help fund my ghostbusters pin purchase and you will be saved.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »
I am neither a Stern lover or hater. I have a few Stern machines in my collection i love, and plenty of Bally Williams machines i also love - and there are plenty of things they could all improve...like most organisations.

However, i reckon this interview with Gary over in NZ at Pincade is great.  The fact that the CEO is getting out among his 'collector/hobby' customers, having a good time and listening to customers has to be a good thing.  Apparently he is also meeting distributors in Australia today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/national/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503075&gal_cid=1503075&gallery_id=158604

Ohh, and Dave (guy in NZ whose collection Gary is playing), is a top, down to earth bloke and has an amazing collection.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
I use the word pilgrimage 'tounge in cheek" and the resident stalker carries on like a typical fruitcake about religion, sheeeesh.
I am not religious & Gary is not my God for the fruit cake followers.

I said Pilgrimage because it's a very long way & an expensive trip to the USA but if you love pinball & enjoy & respect the current designers who are making the latest machines, and you are a Stern fan, and want to share the experience with your best mate on the planet who plays pinball with you, my 6 year old son, then a trip to the Stern factory sounds fun & educational and something a father & son can enjoy together.

Nothing to do with religion or the weirdo comments made by fruitcake stalker & sons pty ltd.

Pinsanity, already you are attempting to spread your disease into this thread because you don't like me. Try to refrain mate, we don't need the nasty poor comedy act.

Go visit Stern & lesrn something & you might lose some of that hater u have in you  ^^^

Or tell Gary and staff how to run Stern properly, being your way of course.
Or would you have the backbone to go to the new factory & meet the people you have contempt for and have bagged forever. Or could you learn something from great people.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:35:04 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 09:06:05 PM »
I once had the pleasure of meeting Gary.  While it didn't feel like a pilgrimage, it certainly did feel like meeting a celebrity, or a rock star.  Anyone in their right mind would have shutdown their pinball production in 2008.  Thank God he chose to push through that low.  Rock on Gary.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »
I once had the pleasure of meeting Gary.  While it didn't feel like a pilgrimage, it certainly did feel like meeting a celebrity, or a rock star.  Anyone in their right mind would have shutdown their pinball production in 2008.  Thank God he chose to push through that low.  Rock on Gary.
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a bit of a bail out around then? Backers coming in? I'm hoping with the smaller production runs, high prices that Stern aren't really just trying to max profits until someone decides to retire and close it down. Happened to me.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
Or would you have the backbone to go to the new factory & meet the people you have contempt for and have bagged forever

You're reading too much into the posts.. not having undying love and devotion doesn't equal contempt